TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Vitamin X

The 2008 NFL Draft Thread.

Regardless of how well Flacco pans out, the Ravens certainly made out like bandits in drafting him, largely thanks to Jacksonville. They came out of the first round with a QB, an extra 3rd and 4th round pick, all for what really only cost them a 6th rounder.

The Rams wanted the Ravens 1rst, 2nd and 4th rd picks this year and a 3rd rounder next year to trade up for Ryan. In that sense, hell yeah they did, but I swear I wish they had not taken Flacco.

Flacco could turn into the next Ben Rothlesberger (I watched the ESPN QB Challange thing and Big Ben's name was mentioned like 25 times (not really but I lost count) in regards to Flacco), but honestly I question that happening.

the Ravens do have a good offensive line and Willis McGahee had a very good year last year despite everything. As far as the Ravens QB coach, I have my doubts as Harbaugh brought in Hue Jackson who was the Bengals WR coach last year. WTF?

Also, the Ravens traded a 4th round pick to the Raiders for Fabian Washington to help out at CB.

Guest I swallowed a Q-Tip.
Gene, why didn't da Bears draft a QB? Any QB? Is it time for 90 runs/game in Chitown?

Didn't they pick up a guy from Carbondale? And yes, it is time for 90 runs/game. Yes.

Isn't Agent the guy who wants the Bears to put a RB behind center? Yeah I don't think he cares that they didn't take a QB. My guess, since you appear to have missed my post earlier in the thread, they are waiting for the next year's draft where Rex Grossman's 1 year contract expires. The Bears are making this THE Sink or Swim year for Rex. If he can't do it, then next year's draft should yield more interesting and promising choices in the QB class (Guys like Chase Daniel or Tim Tebow might be available then). No point in filling the team with garbage quarterbacks from this year's draft class. I say garbage because they weren't going to take Ryan, Brohm or Henne and no one else is really worth it.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

I maintain the offense of linemen and running backs would be just as effective as any offense quarterbacked by Rex Grossman.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

I hung myself the last time we discussed the Grossman extention. Let's talk about the Colts, k guys?

Colts picked up my boy Tom Santi, UVA tight end. Solid blocker and fast for a TE. He can sneak a few catches in 3 or 4 receiver sets and would be a great addition to special teams--he made tons of big hits on kickoff returns. The best pick the Colts made had to be Philip Wheeler in the 3rd round. I've watched a lot of his games and he's a very, very good rushing LB. You're gonna love him on blitzing downs. He can probably develop into a starter a bit down the road.

I also liked drafting a whole bunch of big boys for the o-line. With three centers, you're sure to find one that sticks, and the other guys can be worked into the guard rotation if they're good enough. The Colts didn't really need much at any of the flashy positions, and I think they did a pretty good job of picking guys who'll give them depth all around the team.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

That's been their Polian M.O. Hit a home run on skills players every few seasons and continually keep a deep fundamentally skilled roster with good character and speed. They're the second youngest team in the league, all 22 playoff starters last year have been in Indy their entire pro career, and they still don't have any real team needs. Nothing glaring, anyway. Reggie Wayne is a top three receiver in the league, Peyton Manning is arguably the best QB, Joseph Addai is the best young RB not named Adrian Peterson, Sanders, Freeney, and Mathis are killers..so many good players on this team.

Here in about two or three seasons, I want to see Indy take a QB on day one. Give Manning an heir that will be awesome-ready in three seasons.

I forgot that bit about all the starters being Indy products from the start. On one hand, that seems to kind of neglect the power of free agency, but if you can do it in-house and get 12 wins a year and a Super Bowl, may as well.

I hung myself the last time we discussed the Grossman extention. Let's talk about the Colts, k guys?

Ok, so which round will the Chargers beat them in the 2009 playoffs? The Wildcard or Divisional? It's just as easy for me to ignore the Bears for the more successful Chargers, but I gotta support the Bears. You can talk about the Colts all you want though.

As for Edwin, Kyle Orton is just as bad as Rex Grossman. The only reason he looks like an attractive option is because the defense carried his ass to something like 11 wins in 2005. When Rex Grossman is on, he's probably a second tier QB, as evident by the fact the Bears were the top rated passing attack in 2006 for the early stretch when Rex looked invincible. Some Bears fans and the front office are holding out hope that he returns to that form, full time. It's like that episode of Seinfeld when Jerry meets that girl who changes her looks under certain lighting. Jerry wants to date the pretty version but wants nothing to do with the ugly. We want the good Rex but want nothing to do with the Bad Rex. And boy, there's a lot of bad lighting for Rex lately.

I was kidding about Orton.

I do actually think it's ridiculous that Chicago hasn't even tried to sign some journeyman guy to at least push their two shitty incumbents. Maybe they can try another one of Tampa's 17 QBs when some inevitably get their walking papers. I loved Grossman's occasional '06 bombs to Berrian, but those perfect passes are few and far between for him.

Ortman's appeal is that he is the Everyman. He is the average guy sitting in some dive bar called only "Old Style" somewhere out in Wauconda or something, and then Jerry Angelo stops by and asks if he wouldn't mind quarterbacking the Chicago Bears next Sunday, you know, if he can clear it with his boss at the carpet installation place. Meathead fans see themselves in Kyle Orton. Internet fans point and laugh at his ridiculous drunk pictures. Rex is just kind of aloof and bad. If you're going to have a shitty quarterback, have the cool shitty one.

I do actually think it's ridiculous that Chicago hasn't even tried to sign some journeyman guy to at least push their two shitty incumbents.

They don't believe in pushing Rex, I don't think. They just hand him the starting job over and over again.

Now that I've had a few days to think about it, I think the thing that bugs me about Tampa's draft (and the offseason in general) this year is that I can see how we can be as good as we were last year, but I can't see how we got any better. Even with seven QBs on the roster, we're still fucked if Garcia goes down. We've probably replaced Brian Kelly at CB, but we haven't necessarily upgraded at the position with Eugene Wilson and Aqib Talib. And WR is still a bit of a question mark with a couple of old guys, a bunch of unproven or untalented guys, a guy who's returning from a long suspension, and a guy from Appalachian State.

The fact the Bears haven't signed a journeyman QB solidifies my theory that the 2009 draft is when they finally get a "big name" QB to replace their current crop of "starter" candidates. After thinking about it, I've come to the conclusion that if he has a great season, I'd want Matthew Stafford under center for the Bears or Chase Daniel.

Tampa is going to have to cut Chris Simms, Bruce Gradkowski, and probably Luke McCown at some point prior to the start of the season. Simms seems like a good fit in Chicago. Because he sucks.

Kinetic would know more, but I always thought Chris Simms got a raw deal in Tampa.

Maybe. He had the double whammy of being both young and left-handed, which are both a death sentence in Gruden's offense. The year he played extensively was sort of encouraging, but he looked terrible the following season prior to rupturing his spleen. Basically, he throws a nice deep ball, but has questionable decision-making skills and turns it over a lot. Chicago already has that guy. I'd pass.

Kinetic would know more, but I always thought Chris Simms got a raw deal in Tampa. But no I don't want the guy who tattoos the name of some assistant coach on my team.

If Simms gets signed, you can go ahead and count on a large number of "Got Spleen?" signs appearing in the stands.

Guest Vitamin X
Ortman's appeal is that he is the Everyman. He is the average guy sitting in some dive bar called only "Old Style" somewhere out in Wauconda or something, and then Jerry Angelo stops by and asks if he wouldn't mind quarterbacking the Chicago Bears next Sunday, you know, if he can clear it with his boss at the carpet installation place. Meathead fans see themselves in Kyle Orton. Internet fans point and laugh at his ridiculous drunk pictures. Rex is just kind of aloof and bad. If you're going to have a shitty quarterback, have the cool shitty one.

Plus, dude can play in BEAR WEATHER as evidenced by that improbable blowout win over my beloved Packers last season. He had a 103.2 QB rating (9-15, 104 yds, 1 TD, 0 INT) in some of the worst playing conditions I've ever seen. Even Packers fans like him.

I wonder how you would run Agent's no-QB offense. Bring back the wishbone? Sign a bunch of good blocking TE's and convert them to FB? That would be a hell of a fun team to watch, just smashing and grinding the whole game.

Plus, dude can play in BEAR WEATHER as evidenced by that improbable blowout win over my beloved Packers last season. He had a 103.2 QB rating (9-15, 104 yds, 1 TD, 0 INT) in some of the worst playing conditions I've ever seen. Even Packers fans like him.

I wonder how you would run Agent's no-QB offense. Bring back the wishbone? Sign a bunch of good blocking TE's and convert them to FB? That would be a hell of a fun team to watch, just smashing and grinding the whole game.

Wishbone or Power I and T formations. Get someone for Air Force or Navy to come in and teach the art of the pitch.

Guest Vitamin X

I was thinking the Wishbone, but the Power-I is actually used in the NFL sometimes.

What a fearsome foursome for the Bears...

Rex Grossman

Kyle Orton

Nick Hill (Southern Illinois): Actually an interesting little FCS player. Finished 3rd in QB Efficiency last year behind Josh Johnson and Jonathan Dally. Was 3rd in pass accuracy with 71.47% in 361 attempts and had 28 TD vs. 7 INT. Also has solid enough size at 6'3" and 219 lbs.

From NFL Draft Countdown (Was ranked 16th at QB)

Strengths:

Adequate size and bulk...A very good athlete...Extremely accurate...Can buy time and make plays with his feet...Makes good decisions...Smart with a good football IQ...Very hard worker and a team leader...Is still improving and has some upside.

Weaknesses:

Did not play against elite competition...Arm strength is adequate but certainly not special...Doesn't throw the deep ball well...Raw and has a lot of work to do when it comes to his technique and throwing mechanics...Was only a starter for 2 years.

Notes:

Played basketball at Western Kentucky in 2003 (1.7 ppg in 23 games) but did not play football...Does not have all the physical tools you look for but his intangibles are top-notch...Interesting late round sleeper who could be a nice developmental signal caller..Profiles as more of a backup...Would fit well in a West Coast Offense.

Caleb Hanie (Colorado State): Threw only 288 passes but completed 64.16% of them and also had 15 INT... great fit. He did have the highest QB Rating in the Mountain West last year though. Measured in at 6'2" and 221 lbs at his pro day.

Adequate size and bulk...good football IQ...Very hard worker and a team leader...Did not play against elite competition...Arm strength is adequate but certainly not special...Doesn't throw the deep ball well...Raw and has a lot of work to do when it comes to his technique and throwing mechanics

So basically, you're saying that Nick Hill is Kyle Orton. Great. I'm inspired.

Why are people giving serious thought to Agent's really stupid idea? Wow so we don't have a good quarterback. Count us as one of the 6-10 teams with the same problem! Should all of them go with a wishbone system? Besides we don't even have the running backs to pull it off. Let's table that dumb discussion, shall we?

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Pretty much. I know it's dumber than hell. So's the Bears front office and coaching staff, 'cept the badass Special Teams guy whose name I can't remember despite being told a thousand times.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

You're telling me you wouldn't shit if you saw ten guys in front of Garrett Wolfe, then they all yelled "HEAVE!" and lunge forward for two yards.