TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest blame that goot.

State of the Folder

We never have this much fun in the Food Folder.  

61 members have voted

1. 1. To what extent are we expected to moderate this folder?

• Discussion must be tightly regulated and infractions must be punished.
    • Keep a close eye on things and don't be afraid to act.
    • I don't care how it's moderated.
    • Don't step in until absolutely necessary.
    • A not-safe-for-work lawless frontier.

Guest blame that goot.

We're throwing it to a referendum on this one, Current Events denizens. In light of the maelstrom last week, we need to know how you want us to handle this folder, where the personal nature of politics makes conversations much more heated and heartfelt than they are in sports, music, movies, or food. EVEN FOOD.

Since we have a lot of people, liberal, conservative, or otherwise who spend a lot of time here, I'd like your input. Do you want us to practically engineer the direction of the folder, or be laissez-faire and let the inmates run the asylum? Both approaches have been taken in the past. I'm fine with anything along the spectrum. I'll be glad to never touch a single thing in this folder, and I'll monitor threads if I have to as well. The one thing I do want to do, moderating-wise, is intercept obvious doomed threads before they can turn into hateful shit-flinging. Invader's eugenics threads never end particularly well, as I recall.

So anyway, vote early, but not often, and if you can offer some ideas and recommendations, please do that. This is your folder.

The one thing I do want to do, moderating-wise, is intercept obvious doomed threads before they can turn into hateful shit-flinging.

That's the only thing you should do. Anything else would be pretty unnecessary.

I voted don't be afraid to step in unless absolutely necessary. It'd be good to have one of the more level-headed mods like Czech moderate the folder though.

Political debate is going to get heated, that's the nature of the beast. We should encourage discussion and debate, not discourage it.

Make it NSFW. The use of the words "nigger" or "spic" or any number of other racial/sexual/gender-based slurs could be relevant in a political discussion, as could region-based slurs, and/or slurs referring to social classes, regardless of whether they're being used ironically or not.

Even so, I recognize that with our PC culture people can get into trouble if they view this site at the office and the computer records a history which includes slurs such as those referenced above. So designate it NSFW and let people make their own decisions. That way no one can say she wasn't warned.

As for the eugenics crap, I don't agree with one iota of it, but don't censor it. The best way to demolish bullshit is to bring it out into the open and let it be torn to shreds. It's so easy to do.

I honestly don't understand why anyone's afraid of neo-Nazis or Afrocentrists. They can be eviscerated with ease; they have been, and they will be in the future. Let them spout their tripe. Then rip them apart.

Where is the "get rid of the folder" option?

thats the best plan of action.

Not happening.

Also, Marvin, you're an idiot.

Yes, I realize that added nothing.

Guest blame that goot.

Hey, you were the star of this place for a while.

Not happening.

Also, Marvin, you're an idiot.

Yes, I realize that added nothing.

I was going to post that myself.

Like I said, the folder is a joke and its a waste of time trying to post anything in it when you get responses that are seemingly from a bunch of 12 year olds.

I'm in favor of keeping things loose, but as a rule I think we should draw the line at personal attacks towards posters themselves. If things are unmoderated, that shouldn't be an invitation to lash out as posters whenever so inclined.

If things are unmoderated, that shouldn't be an invitation to lash out as posters whenever so inclined.

Well, this seems to be a call to eliminate the NHB folder.

If things are unmoderated, that shouldn't be an invitation to lash out as posters whenever so inclined.

Well, this seems to be a call to eliminate the NHB folder.

Not quite. I'm thinking more of a starter. Yes, things get heated in this folder. A poster shouldn't take that as free reign to blast someone in their first or second post.

Like I said, the folder is a joke and its a waste of time trying to post anything in it when you get responses that are seemingly from a bunch of 12 year olds.

oa048.jpg

There are too many interpretations by mods and posters alike of where to draw the line. I don't like any type of moderation in a folder like this (or anywhere, but that's another matter). Voting lawless frontier eliminates the problem and hurt feelings.

Not quite. I'm thinking more of a starter. Yes, things get heated in this folder. A poster shouldn't take that as free reign to blast someone in their first or second post.

That's not the point, Al.

Who, despite being twelve, still have more mental maturity than Glenn Beck.

That's not the point, Al.

You're saying NHB means NHB, as I understand it. I don't think that's the best way to go about things, but it's an unpopular opinion and probably unworkable in practice. I'm just voicing my thoughts.

Who, despite being twelve, still have more mental maturity than Glenn Beck.

Hmm..I forgot the filter is off now..aww

you all must want me back posting in there again..

You're saying NHB means NHB, as I understand it. I don't think that's the best way to go about things, but it's an unpopular opinion and probably unworkable in practice. I'm just voicing my thoughts.

That is not at all what I'm saying. What I'm saying is that either EVERYTHING is NHB or NOTHING is. You CANNOT have one rule for one place and another for another. It's bullshit.

You and I and EVERYONE else knows full well that shit gets dragged into and out of NHB (or whatever it's called today) and referenced in other threads and NO ONE does a goddamn thing about it. So get off your goddamn high horses and face up to the fucking facts, will you?

Either you impose your own morality on the board, or you don't.

It's as simple as that.

The use of the words "nigger" or "spic" or any number of other racial/sexual/gender-based slurs could be relevant in a political discussion, as could region-based slurs, and/or slurs referring to social classes, regardless of whether they're being used ironically or not.

Oh...fer...jeez...

:rolleyes:

I just read the gang parents thread that I totally missed.

A thread on a topic that probably didnt need to be posted here cept for the fact that Invader wanted to use it for his parental licensing campaign (which went so well the first time) and was turned into a thread tangent about gays, lesbians, etc by the end of page 2 which had absolutely ZERO to do with the original topic just to attack posters who were in the discussion before it got moved to the CS.

yeah..

I voted for lawlessness but I still believe the folder should just go.

Guest blame that goot.

I'm not getting rid of the folder.

It seems like most people want the place to be left alone, so that's the direction we'll go.

Guest blame that goot.

Well, "less moderation" seems to have beaten "more moderation" by a 4 to 1 ratio, so that's the way it'll be. You guys will be left to your own devices until the complaints (and I mean good ones, not just whining) fill up my inbox and I have to start closing threads or suspending people, but there's going to be a very high threshold for what's permissible. I'm not going to go as far as applying the NSFW tag on this folder (making it unavailable to guests), but if you're at work and fear the repercussions of viewing a board where "spic" and "nigger" may be said, use your discretion and don't go in the folder.

In a nutshell, act like adults. Everything above was just commentary. I think we've settled the issue here; am I correct?

Guest Vitamin X
In a nutshell, act like adults.

This is going to be difficult to grasp, but hey less moderation, so go for it, guys.

Come on, the thing about parental licensing was hilarious. I was entertained.

Some people's idea of political and current event discussion seems to be "If anyone has a dissenting opinion, that's bull shit."

Guest blame that goot.

No, it really wasn't. You've been down that road before, you know what it yields, and in this case, we outdid ourselves and ended up with some really toxic stuff. There's having a dissenting opinion, and there's looking to stir people up.

Basically, what constitutes "absolutely necessary" are comments like "dickless nazi fag" with nothing else to add to the discussion. That's it.