TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CBright7831

The 2008 MTV Movie Award Nominees

Well, Phantom was easily the worst thing he's ever done. I'm not the biggest Argento fan either and I agree that Suspiria is really overrated (I enjoyed the soundtrack and the imagery is beautiful, but I just can't get into it overall. It's probably the incoherent factor, I just like movies that have at least passable screenwriting and acting. I also found it to be really dull at points. I don't watch Italian Horror expecting great acting and scripts, but man Suspiria's acting and writing is just really horrible and even worse than than the typical Italian horror film. Although, it isn't quite on the level of the hilarious Burial Ground.) I also didn't like Trauma, Opera, Inferno, or pretty much anything outside of his Masters Of Horror stuff he's directed since 1985.

But, Tenebre, Phenomena, Bird With The Crystal Plumage, and especially Deep Red are all very good movies. You should at least consider watching these before you go ahead with saying Argento sucks. He's talented, I just prefer Fulci, Bava, and dare I say Soavi (Cemetary Man is a masterpiece and I enjoy Stage Fright more than any of Argento's films. I wish he would make more films.) for Italian horror.

"Deep Red" is an excellent movie.

Fulci-Well, thing is, from 1972-1982, he did a string of genre and exploitation movies that are considered classics. "Gates of Hell", "The Beyond", and even "Zombi 2" (which I've finally warmed up to) are rightfully considered classics (I still don't like "House by the Cemetery" and "New York Ripper" though.) Then "Manhatten Baby" came in 1983, and that was the end of his winning streak. He produced nothing but crap afterwards (though "Zombi 3" is fun in a so bad it's good way.) Also, good to see some Soavi love. He was really the last great Italian horror director.

We really need a thread about Italian horror movies and directors.

Zombi 2 is pretty awesome. The Beyond is pretty good too as is Gates of Hell.

I happen to like Argento. I just think his style is an acquired taste. I also think Suspiria is great and not overrated at all.

Oh and regarding "Scream" the first one was supposed to be a satire of the slasher genre. Wes Craven said so himself. It was a pretty clever-ly written script and it appealed to the masses. It was a solid flick. Not fantastic, but solid.

The problem is what "Scream" spawned. First there was the two subpar sequels/cash cows and then the bigger dissapointment was the birth of the teen scream queen genre of horror where every "horror" movie had to have mainstream sitcom/network tv stars in them in order to try and bring out a younger audience, this was also when most horror movies would start becoming PG-13 in order to get a bigger crowd.

I happen to like Argento. I just think his style is an acquired taste. I also think Suspiria is great and not overrated at all.

Yeah, that's the thing about Argento (as well as several other Italian horror movies), you either like them or you don't.

The problem is what "Scream" spawned. First there was the two subpar sequels/cash cows and then the bigger dissapointment was the birth of the teen scream queen genre of horror where every "horror" movie had to have mainstream sitcom/network tv stars in them in order to try and bring out a younger audience, this was also when most horror movies would start becoming PG-13 in order to get a bigger crowd.

I agree that the worst part of Scream was its awful legacy of teenybopper horror flicks over the past dozen years, not to mention replacing the term "horror film" with the sickeningly banal "scary movie" in popular lingo. But I wasn't even a fan of the original film. I haven't liked any Wes Craven movie since, oh, The People Under The Stairs. And that dirty motherfucker Kevin Williamson is the worst goddamned so-called screenwriter in the history of overrated hacks and has never once made anything which I didn't totally hate.

I love Scream. Love love love it. It's one of my favorite movies, in fact. I never once considered it a horror movie of any kind though. I always looked at it as a social satire of the slacker generation. We know everything...but we're too damned stupid to get off the couch. More wrapped up in a world of technology, pop culture and gossip than what's going on right outside our own door.

If anything, I'm impressed by how well those themes hold up 12 years later. The use of cell phones and the spawning of the tmz generation has actually blown what I thought coming out of the movie over a decade ago up by monstrous proportions.