TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  

Impact (5/22/2008)

I agree that on a macro level, the story makes sense. Which, by TNA's standards, means the bookers deserve a cookie. But the details, oy vey. Remember the wedding renewal ceremony? Or the general way that everyone in the storyline has been made out to look selfish and stupid, especially our theoretical hero AJ?

And the simple way TNA structures its show hurts this stuff too, imho. For this kind of soap opera stuff, the WWE would just do one or two long segments per week dedicated to it. TNA hits us with a couple of dozen short segments involving the same people instead, always just itching to cut away To The Back and get the cameras off that pesky wrestling ring. Also, TNA seems like it's usually in a hurry to burn through their storylines as fast as possible... with a few exceptions which it's strangely content to drag out forever and ever. Like the saga of Roode & Traci, for example. And the Kurt/Karen/AJ thing is definitely being dragged out; didn't they start the whole "Kurt & Karen don't get along" thing a year ago now? I wish I could believe that all this complicated plot is actually going somewhere, but how many of TNA's complicated plots actually went anywhere? (I'm still waiting for an explanation of what exactly happened with the whole Jarrett/Zybyzco/Hebner "conspiracy" from a couple years ago.)

Jingus, the Jarrett/Larry/Hebner angle from 2006 is like the lost angle that WCW never booked. It seriously might be the single worst angle in pro wrestling since WCW went under.

TNA has an uphill battle in getting me to cheer Styles in this situation. At best he's a redneck moron who was easily manipulated and seduced without knowing better. At worst he's a scheming home wrecker who is trying to nail another man's wife. That said at least on one fundamental level this angle makes sense, namely that I can certainly see two men feuding over Karen Angle since she is mega hot.

Oh I think the storyline is bad, and I don't see it ending in any way thats any good...

I was just impressed that, when I thought about it, none of the characters were acting out of character...which is usually the norm in Russo's wacky back and forth booking.

Jingus, the Jarrett/Larry/Hebner angle from 2006 is like the lost angle that WCW never booked. It seriously might be the single worst angle in pro wrestling since WCW went under.

Haha I remember that garbage. Wasn't Slick Johnson somehow involved too?

Styles IS wildly entertaining in this foolish hick role, but I'm not sure how seriously anyone will take him now that the angle has turned serious since he's been a comedy heel for months.

Cubby, I think Slick Johnson was involved in the Jarrett angle but I don't recall exactly WHY he was or what he was gaining. That in essence is the mark of terrible booking, people doing things out of character, things that don't help them at all (and in some cases hurt them) in order for one guy to get over. With that angle I never understood the exact relationship of JJ/Larry Z. and why Larry would bow down to Jarrett, when in storyline Jarrett had zero power and if anything the upper management hated him. Further, what did Hebner have to gain by aiding the KOTM screwjob when he was temporarily fired by new GM Cornette? Zbyzsko was paranoid about being fired, so he chooses the PPV where a new GM shows up to pull a massive screwjob that could lead to him being fired? Nothing about that angle made any sense, it was all guys acting illogically for the sheer purpose and endgame of Jeff Jarrett getting another unwanted title run.