TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Gert T

Desert Island Draft Thread

Well, that still leaves my favourite match of all time available. I can watch this match over and over again and never get tired of it.

WMIIIsteamboat.jpg

WWF Intercontinental Championship match: Randy "Macho Man" Savage [c] vs. Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat, WrestleMania III, March 29, 1987

I've only been a WWE fan since around Wrestlemania 15, so even though I know some of the greatest matches ever took place before then, I'd feel bad taking a first-round pick that surely means more to you older fans than it does to me. I never watched a Bret match or a Flair match (before 2002) on its first airing (but thanks to YouTube I've seen a bunch), so I'm gonna leave some of those classics up for grabs, for now. Instead, I'm going to choose a modern classic. One of, if not my favorite match of all time. A match that had no build-up whatsoever but still had me excited when I learned of its participants. The match with perhaps my favorite ending of all time. A match that I would be lost without. For the third pick in the Desert Island Draft, I choose:

Zhbsk8zf-1.gif

Shawn Michaels vs. Shelton Benjamin - Gold Rush Tournament - May 2, 2005

See, a pick like that is why I'm really looking forward to seeing how this thread develops. Everyone is going to have their own time periods and their own guys that they remember most fondly, and we're going to get some very interesting lists out of that.

6868_6.jpg

The 1992 Royal Rumble

I love the Royal Rumbles. Even the lesser ones I'll watch the shit out of. If I'm going to be stuck on a desert island, I'd want at least one Royal Rumble, since they're long and more or less represent that year's roster as a whole. And this Rumble is my favorite.

Ravenbomb is officially kicked out of the thread for picking my match :D

With the 5th pick, I select:

post-2806-1212089884_thumb.jpg

Bret Hart vs. Steve Austin/Submission Match/Wrestlemania 13

Didn't see this one until about 6 months after the fact, but I loved the match for all the action as well as the double turn, which went off so well, as the crowd was pretty much dying to cheer for Stone Cold anyway. And the bloody face while in the Sharpshooter is a pretty iconic image to this day (Which of course I couldn't find online).

I knew that match was coming next..you're lucky I didn't pick it.

True, I would have lost a lot of credibility kicking out 2 of the first 4 people drafting!

With the 6th pick, I select:

bretowen1.jpg

Bret "Hitman" Hart vs. "The Rocket" Owen Hart - WWF WrestleMania X - March 20, 1994

My favorite match of all-time. My two favorite wrestlers of all-time.

A beautifully executed in-ring classic. Combine that with an awesome storyline and a surprising (at the time) finish. YOU DID IT, OWEN!

First time I ever cheered a heel, too. I just thought Owen was better. Bret's wrestling ability but in a younger, faster, high-flying, more charismatic package. I didn't wanna let my friends watching with me know that I was secretly rooting for Owen (I was 11...heels are bad!) but when he won I couldn't contain my "markout".

And the run of Bret Hart matches continues.....

With the 7th pick, mellowblissful selects:

Intercontinental Title Match

"Mr. Perfect" Curt Hennig © vs. Bret "Hitman" Hart

SummerSlam, August 26, 1991

New York City, NY

post-2806-1212093821.jpg

Right, for my supercard I want a main event that has crowd heat galore and several big names.

That's why I present you with:

43390044ub.jpg

In Your House 16: Canadian Stampede

July 6, 1997 at the Saddledome in Calgary, Alberta.

The Hart Foundation (Bret Hart, Jim Neidhart, Owen Hart, The British Bulldog, and Brian Pillman) defeated Steve Austin, Ken Shamrock, Goldust, and The Legion of Doom (Hawk and Animal)

The ending of the match with the Hart family and the crowd reactions is a brilliant way to finish my PPV.

Any recent fan who wants know which matches he might wanna seek out. Just check this thread.

No doubt. Its funny, when I started this thread I jotted down about 25 matches as a very rough draft. And neither of the last 2 picks were on there, but my thought was "Damn, those are good matches".

With the number 9 overall pick in the Desert Island Wrestling Match Draft, I'm going to get an instant classic. This match had more intensity, heat, and raw emotion than any match in recent history. I suspect that these two men will be on alot of lists in this thread. Ladies and gentlemen: Ric Flair Vs. Shawn Michaels. Wrestlemania 24. Retirement match. March 30,2008 WM24_03302008jg_269_462574a.jpg

5567139.jpg

Not the best pic I could find but...

HHH vs. Cactus Jack- Royal Rumble 2000(Streetfight)

Great match that really built HHH as a badass. Foley did a great job breaking out all the toys: barbed wire bat, thumbtacks, etc. Great brawl through MSG, HHH bleeding buckets, Cactus taking the bumps into the tacks was sick as well, just a great brawl that also told a story effectively.

Well, I think about a 1/4 of my list I've made has already been picked. Some excellent choices by everyone so far, I'll really be interested to see where things go a little further down the line, I think I've got a few aces up my sleeve.

Okay, for some reason I'm blanking on '#1 pick' matches that I really treasure. So rather than go for a big main-event level match-up yet, I'm going instead for...

Eddie Guerrero vs. Rey Mysterio Jr.

WCW Halloween Havoc 1997, WCW Cruiserweight Title, Mask vs. Title Match

4293023.jpg

Such a well worked match, probably the best cruiserweight match in US wrestling history. Eddie plays the perfect heel, Rey is at his best as the underdog. They don't just go out and do moves for the sake of doing moves and the crowd are gradually drawn in by the action and story as opposed to big moves, which pretty much sets it apart from again most US cruiserweight matches. It's just a great match. What better reasoning is there?

Well, its what YOU would want to have, so yeah I am more excited about making picks, rather than worrying too much about what others think. The fun comes in Rounds 3 and 4 when you have to debate whether personal faves can wait another round or two.

Cucaracha, I remember watching that match with about 10 people on the PPV broadcast and even the people who usually hated the cruiserweights loved the match due to the title v. match angle, but were then wowed by the athleticism. Good pick.

When I left the house this morning, I had four picks in mind. They were picks 3-7.

I'm amazed this one didn't go, actually:

macholiz-wm7.jpg Wrestlemania XII, Savage-Warrior retirement match.

I'm going to go with a sleeper as my second pick, but a TSM favourite: Roddy Piper vs. Bret Hart, Wrestlemania XIII, IC title on the line.

pipervshitman.jpg This was great (yet overlooked) match, and how highly Bret spoke of both Roddy and the match in his book makes it even better.