TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

This Week in Baseball 6/2 - 6/8

Al, it looks like you're starting to fall into the trap of becoming overconfident in your team holding first place by noticing how the other teams in the division are falling further and further back.

Take it from experience, that's something that could bite you hard in September.

Al, it looks like you're starting to fall into the trap of becoming overconfident in your team holding first place by noticing how the other teams in the division are falling further and further back.

Take it from experience, that's something that could bite you hard in September.

A true Phillies' fan can never become overconfident.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/games/st...date=1964-09-20

Consider though that the Phils have nod led a division by this margin since 2001. The last few years the team has fought desperately from behind. I'm not saying this thing is in the bag by a longshot. I fully expect the Mets to get hot and close the gap sometime in the next month or two. But this race is far more comfortable in the driver's seat.

Al, would you happen to know (or be able to find out) what the closest margin of victory for a four-game sweep is? I'd imagine four runs has happened at least once, but I'm curious as to how often.

Al, would you happen to know (or be able to find out) what the closest margin of victory for a four-game sweep is? I'd imagine four runs has happened at least once, but I'm curious as to how often.

I'd have to think the Elias Sports Bureau would be the only people able to figure that one out. Maybe Jayson Stark's column will bring it up.

Guest Epic Narcissism
The NY Times looks at ballpark food. Check out the entry for the Chicago White Sox.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2008/06...RK_GRAPHIC.html

Oh great, now the White Sox Interactive message board is going to have a conniption fit and claim that the Times is conspiring with the Chicago Cubs to besmirch them. They take their concession stands really fucking seriously down on 35th Street. It's uncanny.

The guy states he is originally from Chicago in the article. Clearly he is a Cubs fan.

I don't have a doubt that this guy has some kind of irrational hatred of the White Sox as a Cub fan. The interactive section offers one good and one bad item for every ballpark in baseball, nothing wrong with that. With one exception; he says there is nothing good at USCF and everything is to be avoided. That's just asinine.

This article is clearly taking a veiled shot at the Sox.

Just think, if only Tropicana Field had been a mite more impressive.