TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
AndrewTS

Chrono Trigger DS

Due to money issues, I only got this game recently, for Christmas.

Anyway, pretty much everything checks out: SNES quality, with Playstation extras indeed. The music is really really good, with only the time warp sound seeming "off" to my ears. It's really awesome with headphones, to boot.

The translation is good--being much the same as before but with some reworked, rewritten, or clarified dialogue. Most of the classic lines are preserved (oddly with "Good morning, Crono" as one of the odd changes). Frog's dialogue is less Ye Olde English, there are many renamed monsters, Cafes are now Taverns as they should have been. Also,

Magus is referred to as the Fiendlord for most of the early part of the game (being well on par with his Japanese title, roughly equivalent to "Demon King.")

The DS allows for you to keep the top screen free of HUD clutter, and the touch screen controls, while pointless to me, seem to work well enough that you could play with stylus-only.

However, the most curious addition is the Lost Sanctum. I'd heard it referred to as a bonus dungeon or dungeons, and didn't really understand.

Basically, it's bullshit. It sucks so much ass. It does yield a few cool treasures (a new weapon for Robo, another Nova Armor, lots of random items and a few other weapons/armor), but the design is so bad. You'll find yourself running up the same damn mountain over and over again (fighting the same damn enemies) from era to era to pick up a random shiny some asshole back in town needed. I'd do it in bits and pieces if you must.

However, you can completely ignore the Sanctum and just play the rest of the original game and not really miss anything too grand.

FYI, I'm at the Fated Hour with only the Geno Dome and Black Omen to go before Lavos.

Guest Smues

Yeah the Sanctum sucks, but there's another (I'm assuming anyway) dungeon that opens after you beat Lavos. I'm assuming anyway because after you win it shows more gates appearing on the world map, but on my +game play through I haven't gotten the Epoch yet so I can't go to it and see what it is.

Guest Smues

Just did a run through the dimensional vortex (that's what the gates that open after you beat Lavos are called) and it was a lot better than the other 'new' dungeon. Some new monsters, a new boss, new area, not bad at all. Well, it started out looking lame as it makes you run through various dungeons from the game, but then you get to the new areas and I enjoyed it. No doing annoying tasks for stupid reptite things.

I actually completed the Sanctum. Pain the ass, mostly, but you get the best weapon for Robo out of it and a store that stocks Elixirs, Turbo Ethers, Hi-Potions, and Megalixirs. Which would be awesome if I didn't already Charm a lot of 'em already. Also, the last leg of the Sanctum stuff is pretty decent.

Guest Smues

Did you do the sanctum in all three time periods? I hear it's different in all three. Getting mega elixers is nice, but a couple of + game play throughs will yield those anyway. I got my SNES cart to the point where all 7 characters were level **, and had ** in all their stats that there are tabs for. Gonna take forever to do that again. Oh but on the other bonus dungeon, when I beat the boss it raised three of my party leader's stats. So that could be pretty nice for buffing up guys quicker. And apparantly when you beat all 3 dimensional vortexs a new boss appears with a new ending, so there's something to look forward to.

Sanctum only shows up in 65 Million BC and 600 AD so far, and the quests there required hopping back and forth between those two periods. I hadn't seen it show up anywhere else.

Guest Smues

I think the sanctum is in 12,000 BC, but I'm not 100% positive on that. Once I'm done with the vortex I'll have to fuck around with the Sanctum.

I think the sanctum is in 12,000 BC, but I'm not 100% positive on that. Once I'm done with the vortex I'll have to fuck around with the Sanctum.

There's like 2 islands in the whole world there. It would be pretty hard to miss. :P (Have not beaten Lavos yet, though, FWIW).

I'm going through the game for the second time now to get all the endings, and I just realized I missed the ending you have to get after Schala opens the door with her pendant but before you charge yours. Dammit. I think I missed that playing through the SNES version too. :(

I hope the Dimensional Vortex is more fun than the Lost Sanctum...

The DV is cool. None of that back and forth errand running BS. Just three dungeons that weren't bad at all, some good gear, and lots of EXP to be had. Also four bosses between the 3 of them plus when you beat all three it opens up a new final boss. Well worth it and a good addition to the game I'd say.

Guest Smues

I've actually completed the Sanctum twice. I have no idea why. And I'll likely have to do it a third time on whatever my final playthrough to max out is.

Has anyone else bothered with the monster arena? It's lame, but fairly straightforward. What makes it STUPID is that your creature doesn't carry forward on a plus game. WTF is that shit?

Yeah I'm not a huge fan of the Monster Arena.. was never into that Pokemon style stuff anyway.

After finishing this a few times I've gone and picked up Chrono Cross for PSX. Now this is definitely a game that could use a re-rendering for DS as it looks like complete ass on my TV.

Chrono Cross could also use a complete remaking from scratch since it was terrible. :( Gotta be like my biggest letdown game ever.

I finished the DV over the weekend, and enjoyed it. The new final boss was cool. The new ending was a joke, but still, it was nice to have some new dungeons and a new boss. The Sanctum sucked, but at least you got good equipment from it. And I liked the arena, but I agree it was retarded that you had to start a new monster from scratch on New Game+, and waste time fighting battles to win awesome prizes like a Mid-Potion.

Still, great port overall, especially compared to that garbage port in FFC. Loved the new translation.