TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
AndrewTS

Chrono Trigger DS

http://kotaku.com/5021416/square-enix-conf...rono-trigger-ds

CHRONO TRIGGER Returns! The Timeless Classic Teleports to Nintendo DS This Holiday Season

LOS ANGELES, CA USA

Journey Through Time with the RPG Masterpiece that Started It All

LOS ANGELES, July 2 /PRNewswire/ — Square Enix, Inc., the publisher of Square Enix interactive entertainment products in North America, announced today that it will release CHRONO TRIGGER® in North America this Holiday season. Remastered exclusively for Nintendo DS, this marks the first time that the groundbreaking RPG will be available on a handheld console.

Originally released in 1995 on Super NES® and shipping more than 2.5 million copies worldwide, CHRONO TRIGGER has been hailed as one of the greatest games of all time by critics and fans alike. With a unique and multifaceted storyline, the game revolutionized the world of RPGs with

never-before-seen features, including an unprecedented soundtrack and multiple endings determined by side quests and the player's actions.

With artwork by famed manga artist Akira Toriyama and an unprecedented and inspiring musical score created by Yasunori Mitsuda, CHRONO TRIGGER represents the best-in-class of the video game world. This newly revamped edition maintains all of the game's original elements and spirit while

introducing the portability, dual-screen presentation and Touch-Screen functionality of Nintendo DS. Players will soon be able to rediscover the exhilarating RPG experience, breathtaking storyline and innovative gameplay in the palm of their hands.

STORY

When a newly developed teleportation device malfunctions at the Millennial Fair, young Crono must travel through time to rescue his misfortunate companion from an intricate web of past and present perils. The swashbuckling adventure that ensues soon unveils an evil force set to destroy the world, triggering Crono's race against time to change the course of history and bring about a brighter future.

FEATURES

— A masterpiece with an engaging and unparalleled storyline, leading to the discovery of multiple epic conclusions to a journey that transcends time

— An unprecedented and inspiring musical score created by Yasunori Mitsuda

— Intriguing battle system made possible by the unique combination of the Active Time Battle system and Tech skills

— Famed character designer Akira Toriyama lends his signature art style to create the vibrant world that has captivated gamers around the world

— Taking advantage of the Nintendo DS hardware, CHRONO TRIGGER makes its way onto the portable platform with all-new dual screen presentation and Touch-Screen functionality

— A brand new dungeon and a Wireless Play mode adds exciting new dimensions to this timeless classic

CHRONO TRIGGER has not yet been rated. Please visit the Entertainment Software Rating Board website at
for more information about ratings. The official website can be found at

Now I'll inevitably play through the game another dozen or so more times.
:)

Awesome! Remastered/revamped - I wonder if that means they're completely redoing the presentation of the game a la FFIV?

I'm thinking of buying a DS. All the old-school RPGs seem to be developped on it like Dragon Warrior IV-VI and IX and the old Final Fantasies. I'm also curious about New Super Mario Bros, the Phoenix Wright series and the Brain Age games. Since I haven't owned a portable since the old black-and-yellow Gameboy, I've skipped everything on the GBA like the Castlevanias and Metroid games.

Any essentials I'm missing ?

Can't wait for Chrono Trigger DS. I'll be buying DS games soon, starting with Final Fantasy IV, and getting Tecmo Bowl: Kickoff this fall, along with Dragon Quest IV. Good couple of months for DS owners.

Guest Smues

Fuck yes! I posted the Japanese clock site in the CTDWAT thread and mentioned how I figured it meant Japan got it, but no guarentee for the US. Thank christ it is coming to America on a handheld finally. I was afraid I was going to have to buy the Japanese version. It amazed me how many versions of the old final fantasys they could release without doing Chrono Trigger. Now they just need to release it on the Wii Virtual Console around the same time.

I'm thinking of buying a DS. All the old-school RPGs seem to be developped on it like Dragon Warrior IV-VI and IX and the old Final Fantasies. I'm also curious about New Super Mario Bros, the Phoenix Wright series and the Brain Age games. Since I haven't owned a portable since the old black-and-yellow Gameboy, I've skipped everything on the GBA like the Castlevanias and Metroid games.

Any essentials I'm missing ?

The Final Fantasy Tactics Adv series is pretty good. The first one is a GBA game but the second one just came out completely for DS.

I can't fucking wait, and I'm hoping (putting faith in Square) that they'll release it with new graphics etc.

Now I just have to get my hands on Crono Cross...

Chrono Cross is also good from what I've played of it (I don't have a PS1 memory card). Not AS good, but like Die Hard 2 to Die Hard or Two Jakes to Chinatown.

"Essential" GBA or DS games? This'll be a lengthy one.

First off, I hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate...x infinity Final Fantasy Tactics Advance. I liked the original, and War of the Lions on PSP is a great investment, but the characters are horrible and the Judge system is a load of arbitrary bullshit. If you liked the original game, be VERY wary of Advance. A2 I've heard brings back the Judge system but apparently it isn't as annoying, as its conditions are only for bonus stuff.

Anyway:

Castlevania Aria of Sorrow GBA

Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow DS

Metroid Fusion

Metroid Zero Mission

Wario Land 4 GBA

Wario Ware GBA

Wario Ware Twisted

New Super Mario Bros DS

Elite Beat Agents DS (or Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! DS, or its sequel)

Double Dragon Advance (it's double dragon 1 + some 2 levels, it has excellent upgraded graphics, brilliant controls and music. The single best Double Dragon game of any kind, IMO)

Mario vs. Donkey Kong GBA: It's like Donkey Kong GB, but with new levels and a new story.

Mega Man ZX Advent: great gameplay, the gameplay techniques are great kick in the ass that the series really needed, and it's a lot more forgiving than the Zero games. However, the harder difficulty can still get kind of brutal.

Mega Man ZX: the precursor to Advent. Same things about the above apply, but it has a crummier map system.

Phoenix Wright series (DS) : generally amusing, but if you played one you played them all. If you try the first, consider the rest as a "if you're a fan" group.

Ninja Five-O GBA: a rare gem of a game from Konami. Mixes Shinobi-style gameplay with the grapple technique of Bionic Commando. Called Ninja Cop in Europe.

Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo GBA: One of the best puzzlers on the GBA

Final Fantasy VI Advance: duh

Astro Boy: Omega Factor: it's Treasure, and you're blasting and blowing crap up. Good stuff.

Contra 4: Will kick your ass and take your name. It's fucking awesome, period.

Kim Possible 2 and 3 GBA: No, I'm not joking. Should be dirt-cheap if you know where to look, both are quality platformers with some great play mechanics that are similar to what you might expect from a Batman game, but are superior to nearly any portable Batman outing. There's doodads to collect, but you can skip it.

Monster House GBA: Again, no joke. It sort of mixes Zombies Ate My Neighbors with Zelda. Curiously, both it and the Kim Possible games are the same developer.

Castlevania Circle of the Moon GBA (it's nice and hard, but otherwise is made totally irrelevant by the following games)

Star Fox Command (hand-cramping stylus-based flying controls + button shooting make the baby Jesus cry even more than the shitty furry fanfiction crammed into this thing and masquerading as a story.)

Metroid Prime: Hunters - Okay, I never played the demo, but this isn't exactly a Metroid game in the typical sense. I guess if you mess around with the multiplayer there's a game there that's interesting, but I hated it.

DBZ: Legacy of Goku: Yeah, I should have expected crap, but the game looked good and I am a sucker for Zelda-style gameplay. It's basically like Zelda for retards.

Final Fantasy IV Advance GBA: the original game but bogged down with odd changes, sound glitches, and general technical issues. The DS is getting a full-blown 3D remake, so pass on it unless it's dirt cheap and you must have it.

SNK vs. Capcom - Card Fighters Clash : even if you get an unglitched copy, it's watered down over the original Neo Geo Pocket Color game. Get that one instead.

Revenge of Shinobi GBA: a POS game that is not Shinobi at all. Beware.

Smash Pack GBA: awful ports/translations of Ecco, Spinball, and Golden Axe. Do not buy.

Sonic the Hedgehog Genesis (GBA): the original Sonic game with terrible remixed music and collision issues ahoy.

Guardian Heroes Advance: an ugly, poorly-playing turd of a revamp that throws out everyone good from Guardian Heroes except a few character cameos.

Contra: The Alien Wars EX - a broken mish mash of Contra levels from the 16 bit games, sound glitches, screen size issues, and slowdown make it a simple "get Contra 4 instead."

Wario Master of Disguise (I haven't played this one, but it's not first-party and the reviews were generally pretty poor)

Wario Ware Touched! (Twisted and original make it unnecessary, plus it's a lot harder/more expensive to find)

Brain Age 1 or 2 (don't get unless you really realize what you're getting into. Okay if you like Sudoku puzzles though, and the 2nd one has better voice recognition.

Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (not for the touch controls--which are brilliant, not for the polarizing Celda art design, but for the irritating Temple of the Ocean King, which you'll go through over and over again)

Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin - lots of new ideas thrown into the mix, but for the most part they don't work very well. Dawn smokes it to no end.

Etrian Odyssey 1 and 2 : if you like old school dungeon-crawling PC games, it's a great little RPG series, but expect it to kick your ass hard and require lots of grinding.

River City Ransom EX: still a great game, but the cash money needed to get stuff has been raised, so money grinding is a total pain the ass. I'd recommend a NES ROM over it, myself.

Pocky and Rocky and Becky: based more on the arcade game than the SNES game, making it generally a lot harder and less forgiving.

Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2 GBA: plays little like Mario vs. DK, due to the minis. Kind of strange but fun in its own right.

Gunstar Super Heroes: A 1 player sequel to Gunstar that borders on remake at times. Okay game, but can't touch the original.

I strongly disagree with the "If you've played one Phoenix Wright game, you've played them all" assessment.

I own the first three, and they all play differently. Sure, the basic idea is the same, but we don't say "If you've played one Mario game, you've played them all" or Final Fantasy (I HAVE people say that about Zelda though). In PW, you solve a case through investigating and dialogue. The actual act of gathering clues, and by what means, shifts with each game now to mention the progression of presentation. The storylines of all the games are tight and not repetitive, and I'd say they've gotten harder with each game. I blew through the first one within a day, and yet months later, I'm still stuck on the third one (I hate FAQs).

Anyway, I'll be buying this when it comes out. Trigger is one of the few RPG's I've actually beaten due to it's great storyline. A revamped port will be welcome to my collection.

Thank you for the list Andrew.

I've decided to go with the 2 Brain Ages, New Super Mario Bros and picked up Metroid Zero Mission and Zelda Minish Cap for cheap on eBay. The original Metroid is one of the great games of my childhood, a remake with Super Metroid gameplay....can't really ask for more. I've also read nothing but good things on Lunar Knights and The World Ends With You.

Still, for me it's all about the Dragon Warrior games. B-)

If you're a DQ fan, and like Zelda style games, I'd put in a recommendation for Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime. It's got its flaws (easy, and gameplay is a bit repetitive), but it's a fun Zelda-style game with lots of DQ series references and baddies as main characters. Be wary though, it's adorable and silly, too.

I really like Brain Age. I've got the first one.

It actually made me feel like I was getting smarter for playing it. More "on the ball" so to speak mentally.

So that when I stopped playing it, I started feeling really stupid.

Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (not for the touch controls--which are brilliant, not for the polarizing Celda art design, but for the irritating Temple of the Ocean King, which you'll go through over and over again)

I never really got this complaint. I mean, you do go through several parts over again, but the latter stages you can skip, and/ or you have power ups to make the first several floors take seconds to get through. I'll agree it was probably not necessary, but I feel it was an attempt to possibly make the temple feel harder as you have to go through several stages to get to the end. I guess I just didn't find it repetitive because I flew past the first few floors after I had completed them.

Double Dragon Advance

Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo GBA

God yes do I ever second those two! It took me FOREVER to find those two games in good condition but man was it worth it!

I never really got this complaint. I mean, you do go through several parts over again, but the latter stages you can skip, and/ or you have power ups to make the first several floors take seconds to get through. I'll agree it was probably not necessary, but I feel it was an attempt to possibly make the temple feel harder as you have to go through several stages to get to the end. I guess I just didn't find it repetitive because I flew past the first few floors after I had completed them.

It's just pointless game-lengthening. I mean, I got through two elemental temple things (I still have one corner of the map to uncover yet) and I gave up on the game because the TotOK is just mindless drivel. Enemies that kill you in one hit that you can't even harm coupled with having to repeat the same temple with a time limit...granted it's not like it's a super-restrictive time limit or anything, but I've never been a fan of time trial anything and that's basically all the temple is, repeating the same steps & processes as fast as you can so you can 'get back to the game'.

I've never been a fan of time trial anything and that's basically all the temple is, repeating the same steps & processes as fast as you can so you can 'get back to the game'.

Plus the stealth crap, don't forget that.

Mitsuda is going to be overseeing the music composition:

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3168602

"I had the music for the Nintendo DS version stay as close as possible to the SNES original, so I think you'll like how it turns out. Whether you're playing for the first time or reflecting on the past as you go, I hope all of you enjoy it."

I can deal with a direct port and some tweaked DS gameplay features. I still play the original once in a while on my SNES. For me, replaying RPG games is fine as I find it's just like rewatching one of your favourite movies. You know what's going to happen in every scene, but still enjoy it.

Guest Smues
"I had the music for the Nintendo DS version stay as close as possible to the SNES original, so I think you'll like how it turns out. Whether you're playing for the first time or reflecting on the past as you go, I hope all of you enjoy it."

I'm sure the music will end up fine, but ever since I got the GBC port of Crystalis and the music was completely different I worry whenever they talk about tweaking music for a portable port at all.

Guest Smues

I'm sure the music will end up fine, but ever since I got the GBC port of Crystalis and the music was completely different I worry whenever they talk about tweaking music for a portable port at all.

Well, worry no longer for this one.

http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3168737

No slowdown, no sluggishness, no twitchy unpleasantness. All the problems that bogged down the PlayStation port from a few years back are completely wiped away; this is a game that's been reprogrammed as opposed to being done through shoddy emulation. And the music and sound effects are spot-on, free of the compressed, muffled quality that tend to affect Square's DS games -- good enough to sound perfect through a pair of high-quality headphones. Clearly, bringing aboard the game's original composer, Yasunori Mitsuda, was the right choice...

We're told that all the Akira Toriyama-produced full motion video sequences from the PlayStation game are included in the game. The demo featured only the intro trailer, but the final product should incorporate everything. The best description of this port is probably, "PS1 version content, SNES version quality" -- a philosophy that extends all the way to the game's text. Trigger's original English script is widely regarded as being perhaps the single best localization of the 16-bit era, and fans will be happy to know that the DS version is almost entirely untouched. Die-hard fans will notice a few dialogue tweaks here and there (a word or two in robotic punching bag Gato's song have been tweaked a bit, for instance) but for the most part it's the same witty banter you remember.