TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Matt Young

Generation Kill

Who has heard about this? I've been planning to read the book, and I just heard about the 7 part miniseries on HBO which starts on Sunday. Both cover Rolling Stone journalist Evan Wright's experience as an embedded reporter with the 1st Reconnaissance Battalion‎ during the 2003 invasion of Iraq. His account of life with the Marines was originally published as a three-part series in Rolling Stone in the fall of 2003, according to Wikipedia.

I won't be able to watch the miniseries due to not having HBO, but I'd rather read the book first anyway. Any thoughts from thos who may have already read it? Thoughts on the miniseries?

I'm really looking forward to the miniseries. It's done by the guys responsible for the Wire.

The review I read of it said that it did not sway to far either way politically either. Mainly showed what was going on and let the viewer come up with their own opinions.

BTW, for all Wire heads expecting to see mad appearances you're out of luck. In terms of main casting the only familiar B-More face will be James Ransome who played Ziggy Sobotka in Season 2.

Ziggy? Fuck no... I might have to cancel my DVR recording.

I normally am not a big "war" TV or movie fan but I'm giving this a shot because I trust in David Simon.

Hopefully Ziggy gets killed off in a really brutal fashion. Simon and Burns are 100% aware that he's likely one of the most hated characters in the shows history amongst fans who makes it out alive.

Also, the mohawked cop that Carver writes up in season five is in this.

Anybody watch this?

The first episode was a little slow but it had its moments.

The second episode was incredible. Very well done, showing how mismanaged the marines were at times. The sniper scene and the town battle were particularly memorable.

"Ziggy" has all the best lines so far... the way the character is written I don't expect him to last through the last 5 episodes.

"Gentlemen, we just captured an air field. That was pretty fuckin' ninja."

Great episode last night and I'm really liking the stories they're setting up. Tromblay being the pyscho, Captain America slowly losing his mind and Sgt. Fick trying to keep control. And yes, Ziggy is making the show so far.

Fick is actually a lieutenant. Brad's the sergeant.

I'm really enjoying this as well. Haven't read the book, but most of the military folks I know say this has been a pretty accurate representation of the clusterfuck the whole initial invasion was. I really like the non-intrusive way it's shot too, and the very washed-out color used for night shots.

Godfather isn't that bad. He's just ambitious.

Capt. America and the guy who has a hard-on for the grooming standard and makes every verb plural are the two biggest fuckups to my eyes.

3 down...4 to go.

Off the top of my head..."Get Some", "The Cradle of Civilization" and "Screwby" have aired.

Sucks we've only got two episodes left. Hopefully if this does well in ratings they'll authorize a second part or something.

Tromblay coming through with the air strike was pretty cool, as was Ray, Iceman and Rolling Stone singing 'Teenage Dirtbag' at the end.

From what I've heard it was a 7 part series. So after Sunday night....one left?

And Sunday was awesome. The firefight was fucking intense and Rudy almost getting capped was an OSHIT moment.

It ended a lot stronger than it started. The scenes with the reporter zig zagging the sniper fire and the maries going commando and breaking into the other marines building were great comedy moments.