TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lil' Bitch

The SummerSlam Thread

To honor the 20th anniversary of SummerSlam (along with the release of the SummerSlam DVD Anthology), post your thoughts on the PPV tradition from 1988 to now.

1.) Favorite SummerSlam show overall?

SummerSlam 2002

2.) Favorite world title match?

Stone Cold / Undertaker, SummerSlam 1998

3.) Favorite mid card title match?

Bret Hart / British Bulldog, SummerSlam 1992

4.) Favorite tag title match?

TLC, SummerSlam 2000

5.) Favorite non-title match?

Hulk Hogan Vs. Shawn Michaels, SummerSlam 2005

6.) Favorite segment?

Mean Gene's botched interview with Rick Rude at SummerSlam 1989

7.) Things you hated besides Goldberg screwed out of winning the Elimination Chamber?

Undertaker Vs. Underfaker going on last at SummerSlam 1994

8.) Random SummerSlam-related thoughts are also welcome.

Randy Savage/Ultimate Warrior (1992)

Bret Hart/British Bulldog (1992)

Demolition/Hart Foundation (1990)

Megapowers/Megabucks (1988)

6.) Favorite segment?

I don't remember segments, so I'll go with "Fuck it!" as well.

7.) Things you hated besides Goldberg screwed out of winning the Elimination Chamber?

Legion of Doom coming out with Rocco in 1992.

Austin vs. Angle in 2001. Honorable mentions to Bret/Taker, Austin/Taker, and Cena/Jericho. The latter was pretty much a foregone conclusion that Cena was going to win, but that match ended up being really enjoyable.

Owen Hart vs. Austin for the IC Title in 1997. Prior to the finish of this match, it was hard for Austin to not have a good match with anyone on PPV. Honorable mentions to Bret/Bulldog in 1992, HHH/Rock in 1998, and Bret/Perfect in 1991.

Hart Foundation vs. Demolition in 1990. It would have been Harts vs. Brainbusters, but it wasn't for the titles. And while the match wasn't spectacular or anything, I always really liked the Taker & Big Show vs. X-Pac & Kane match from 1999.

Probably Hart Foundation vs. Brainbusters in 1989.

6.) Favorite segment?

Nothing amazing really comes to mind, so I'll just go with everything from the Savage/Liz wedding, including the reception of course... "A Blender! YEAH!!!"

Having a Jericho/Benoit three fall match go only 13 minutes. How much of a waste the 2003 card was outside of the four-way match and Angle vs. Lesnar. At least we got a dream rematch between Shane McMahon and Eric Bischoff, though. Diesel vs. Mabel is your main event in 1995.

8.) Random SummerSlam-related thoughts are also welcome.

I don't think there's been a really good Summerslam since 2002. 2005 had a few good matches, but that's about it.

To honor the 20th anniversary of SummerSlam (along with the release of the SummerSlam DVD Anthology), post your thoughts on the PPV tradition from 1988 to now.

Bret vs. Owen in the cage

Bret/Bulldog

TLC, SummerSlam 2000

HHH vs. Shawn Michaels, SummerSlam 2002

6.) Favorite segment?

Mean Gene's botched interview with Rick Rude at SummerSlam 1989

SummerSlam 1995

1. Favorite Summerslam Overall? 1992, closely followed by '98 and '00.

2. Favorite World title match? Bret Hart Vs Owen Hart steel cage match (1994)

3. Favorite Mid-Card title match? Bret Hart Vs Davey Boy Smith (1992)

4. Favorite Tag Team title match? Edge and Christian Vs The Hardy Boyz Vs The Dudley Boys TLC Match (2000)

5. Favorite Non Title match? Shawn Michaels Vs Triple H street fight (2002)

6. Favorite Segment?: I'm drawing a blank so I'll also go with "fuck it!"

7. Things You Hated Besides Goldberg screwed out of winning the Elimination Chamber? The finish to the main event of SummerSlam '93. A non-finish to the main event of the 2nd biggest show of the year is one thing but to then have an over the top celebration after the non finish- well that's just stupid.

Bonus Round!

8. Least favorite SummerSlam overall? I honestly don't believe there's been a truly bad SummerSlam. I'm trying to think but one's just not coming up. Every one has had their moments but if I had to make a choice I'd say '96. 1988 had a lot of crap on it but it's the first one and it's fun in an 80s WWF way. A lot of people will go with '93 or '95 I bet but I actually like both of those cards overall (The main event in both cases drags down the shows reputation IMHO[/b]. '96 just feels flat. Nothing on the show is particularly great or bad. Just really forgettable.

9. Least favorite match?I'm going to go with The Oddities-Kaientai. There have been worse matches than this but this match just pissed me off. To see Kaientai reduced to comedy match fodder, while not surprising at this point in their WWF career, was embarrassing.

10. Most Underrated SummerSlam? I'm going to go with SummerSlam '94. Maybe it's because it was the first show I ordered on PPV but I really dig this card. There's a lot of good stuff here (the aforementioned Bret-Owen cage match, Razor-Diesel, Bull Nakano-Alundra Blayze, the tag team titles match) and the crap is kept short. Even the bad main event and the dumb buildup to it (I believe those segments with Leslie Nielsen may have been where he jumped the shark) can't really ruin this one for me.

1. Favorite Summerslam Overall?

2002 - I thought it was a great card from up to bottom. Followed by 91, 92, 97, 98, and 00. 2005 wasn't too bad either.

2. Favorite World title match?

Warrior/Savage 92

The whole storyline with who will Mr. Perfect side with, the match itself, and the ending with Mr. Perfect and Flair causing havoc during the match and resulting to a countout made it my personal favorite.

3. Favorite Mid-Card title match?

TIE: Austin Vs. Owen Hart in 97, and Rock Vs. HHH in 98... Loved the build up to both matches, and the matches itself were awesome.

Honorable Mention: Virgil Vs. Ted DiBiase, for the Million Dollar Belt...DiBiase made the crowd actually care about Virgil of all people in this feud. The crowd heat for this match was amazing. As well as HBK/Razor, Summerslam 1995, Ladder Match.

4. Favorite Tag Team title match?

TLC 2000, no need to explain.

5. Favorite Non Title match?

Shawn Michaels Vs. HHH, Street Fight, 2002... Before the match everyone was doubting HBK had anything left, and this was HHH in his lazy I don't wanna work my ass off stage, yet Shawn was able to carry HHH to an amazing match with great storytelling. I was amazed in how Shawn was able to put on such a great performance after such a long layoff.

6. Favorite Segment?

Jake the Snake and the Undertaker crashing Savage/Liz's wedding after party, at Summerslam 1991.

7. Things You Hated Besides Goldberg screwed out of winning the Elimination Chamber?

The disapointing Shawn Michaels/Mr. Perfect match, Hogan going over Shawn Michaels and pretty much no selling the sweet chin music, pretty much Summerslam 2006 as a whole.

Bonus Round!

8. Least favorite SummerSlam overall? Summerslam 2006, had a lot of potential and ended up dissapointing me.

9. Least favorite match? Ivory Vs. Tori, Womens Title, Summerslam 1999

10. Most Underrated SummerSlam? 2002 and 1994

SummerSlam 2000. Rock/HHH (with minimal involvement from Angle), Benoit/Jericho Best2of3, TLC 1, Shane killing himself before it became cliche... Fantastic stuff.

Bret/Owen. My favourite cage match of all-time.

Bulldog/Hart. This one is a no brainer.

TLC1. A rematch of the Triangle Ladder Match from Wrestlemania, this is the first and best TLC match.

Michaels/Martel. Not a mat classic by any stretch, but this was extremely fun and a very unique match.

6.) Favorite segment?

I don't know if this counts as a match since the good stuff happens in between the actual wrestling, but the Lawler/Doink/Hart Family fiasco from Summerslam 1993 is fantastic.

Curt Hennig getting virtually squashed by Kerry Von Erich at Summerslam 1990. Hennig was basically at his peak as a wrestler at that point and he gets embarrassed by a guy who was a shell of his former self.

SummerSlam 1991 - Such a great feel good show.

I really can't think of one that stands heads and shoulders above the rest. I really didn't dig Austin/Taker like most here do. The buildup ruled but being 16, I was kind of jazzed to see a Russo overbooked mess similar to OTE and KOTR that year. Eh, I'll go Savage/Warrior from 1992 since it aired in the states on my 10th birthday.

IC Title - Mr Perfect vs Bret Hart - 1991 Great match considering Perfect's condition and was a perfect example of a wrestler PUTTING SOMEBODY OVER big time.

TLC - 2000. Though Steiners/Bodies was a fun bout in 93.

Off the top of my head, I'll go Hart Foundation vs Brain Busters

6.) Favorite segment?

The Mountie goes to jail bits

HHH having to shit on HBK immediately after their 2002 street fight. And I wasn't even a HBK mark at the time. Still not, but I've mellowed out on him greatly over the years.

8. Least favorite SummerSlam overall?

I'll say SummerSlams 2004-2007 since they all just bleed together for me.

9. Least favorite match?

I guess Taker/Mankind from 1996. So fuckin long.

10. Most underrated SummerSlam?

1994 seems about right to me.

11. Most underrated SummerSlam match?

I'll go 1-2-3 Kid/Hakushi from 1995. HOT opener to a show many consider the worst in SS history. Tremendous match.

1.) Favourite SummerSlam show overall?

1998 was hands-down my favourite in my mark days, and it's still up there, thanks to the awesome storytelling of Austin-Taker. I'll say '91.

2.) Favourite world title match?

Two immediately come to mind: Bret-Owen in the cage in '94, and Austin-Taker in '98. But, I actually had two others I'd bill: '06 and '97. I've always liked Edge as a heel, and watched '06 with a house full of Cena fans. I'm sure there'll be plenty of Bret on my list, so I'll give '06 the nod.

3.) Favourite mid card title match?

I'm going to give an incredibly slight nod to Bret-Perfect.

4.) Favourite tag title match?

TLC - 2000. Nothing even close that I can think of.

5.) Favourite non-title match?

The Mountie vs. the Big Bossman, probably because of the next answer.

6.) Favourite segment?

I'll second "Fuck it!". Also, though it doesn't count as a segment, Jesse Ventura's answer to Tony Schiavone of "Well, what if took out a gun and shot him? Would that be alright?"

Didn't see the EC, so I can't comment on that. I didn't like that the Warrior squashed HTM at '88. My intial answer can be found in question #9.

8. Least favourite SummerSlam overall?

'95.

9. Least favourite match?

DX vs. the McMahons. Made Big Show, Finlay, Kennedy, and all of the SS look like idiots.

Despite what I just said, '06 wasn't bad. The Flair-Foley "I quit", though the ending was anti-climactic, was fantastic.

I'll agree with Hakushi vs. the 1-2-3 Kid.

1.) Favourite SummerSlam show overall?

I am all about SummerSlam '91. I started watching just in time for the build to this show, and it really showed me how the product is supposed to work. And while I did not get to see this on PPV, it still has had a lasting impression on me. The show is packed with payoffs, and, yet, also begins to build new feuds as well.

2.) Favourite world title match?

Bret vs. Owen in a cage. Hands down.

3.) Favourite mid card title match?

Bret Hart vs. Mr. Perfect from MSG is one of my all-time favorites. Like top three. So, that.

4.) Favourite tag title match?

TLC in 2000, with Demoltion-Harts 2/3 Falls coming in at a close second.

5.) Favourite non-title match?

Bret Hart vs. Lawler/Doink (yes, I lump them together). The whole fiasco is just a heat machine. I love it.

6.) Favourite segment?

Any post-Jailhouse Match segment with The Mountie in 1991. "You want to fight me buddy? Heeeere's me buddy!"

The countout ending of SummerSlam '93.

8. Least favourite SummerSlam overall?

Overall, I would say that 1989 does very little for me.

9. Least favourite match?

Jeff Jarrett vs. Mabel. Ugh.

I always thought that 1996 was very solid, but somewhat underappreciated.

I'm gonna go with the Steiners against the Heavenly Bodies.

Since the question wasn't around when I first answered the questions

11. Most Underrated SummerSlam match? I couldn't make a decision so we'll go with a tie. Both coincidentally are six man tags. First is Tatanka and The Smokin' Gunns Vs Bam Bam Bigelow and The Headshrinkers from SummerSlam '93. On paper, this seemed like a throwaway match and it didn't help that it was given what can be a slot of death at major shows (the second to last match). Surprisingly though, this ended up being a really fun match and one of the better matches of the evening. The other match is Tito Santana and The Rockers Vs Rick Martel and The Fabulous Rougeaus from SummerSlam '89.

I'll do the bonuses as well.

Bonus Round!

8. Least favorite SummerSlam overall? 1999. Awful card. The main event looks good on paper, but the match stank and it didn't have any historical significance either as the title changed again the next night. When the best match involves a non-wrestler and Test, you know the show sucks.

9. Least favorite match? Al Snow vs. Big Bossman. One of the worst feuds ever. Not quite as bad as the Kennel from Hell Match, but almost.

10. Most Underrated SummerSlam? 1993. This would be the best Summerslam ever had Hennig/Michaels lived up to its potential. There is strong stuff throughout the card, and even Luger/Yoko manage a good match.

11. Most underrated SummerSlam match? The Six Man from Summerslam 1993. It gets forgotten because it was stuck right before the biggest match of the year for the WWF and because the only guys with an issue were Tatanka & Bam Bam, but this was an excellent match that people wouldn't normally expect out of these guys.

I'm a big fan of SummerSlam '93 as well. I was this close to picking it as my Most Underrated as well. Awful finish to the main event aside, there really isn't much bad stuff on the show. The only truly awful match is Taker-Gonzalez and that only goes about eight minutes. Bret Hart-Doink, Heavenly Bodies-Steiners, and the six man tag are all in the ***1/2-**** range. Even though it was a letdown, Perfect-HBk was still a solid ***ish match and Razor Ramon-Ted DiBiase was decent as well. Hell, Lex Luger and Yokozuna was shockingly watchable until the aforementioned finish.

And I'm going to change my Worst SummerSlam vote to '99. '96 was a forgettable, pedestrian affair but '99 didn't have anything nearly as good as HBK-Vader and '96 didn't have anything nearly as bad as the aforementioned Snow-Bossman match.

I wouldn't have had that much of a problem w/ the 1993 finish if Luger hadn't sold it like he won 16 championships in one night. He could have at least had a smirk on his face with his hands on his hips as if to say "Well yeah I won, but damn I wanted the belt." This is where the Steiners and Tatanka could have quickly ran in to boost his spirits and they all could have celebrated.

1. Favorite SummerSlam overall. Like anyone needed to ask. SS 1992. My favorite PPV ever. The 1991 show is also a favorite of mine, just a feel good card from top to bottom.

2. Favorite world title match. Bret vs. Owen from 1994. I was going to say Austin vs. Angle from 2001 but it had no finish.

3. Favorite midcard title match. Are we considering Bret/Bulldog a midcard match? If so, then that's it easy. If not, then I'll go with Bret/Perfect from 1991.

4. Favorite tag title match. Though I haven't seen this in a long time, it's gotta be TLC from 2000. What else from any SS show can top that?

5. Favorite non title match. This is actually pretty hard since most good SS stuff involved a belt. I was going to say the Boiler Room Brawl but it's simply too long. So I'll reluctantly go with HBK/HHH from 2002.

6. Favorite segment. Mountie goes to jail from 1991. Just awesome, hilarious stuff.

7. Thing I hated worse than Goldberg in 2003. I could take the easy way and say Luger not winning in 1993, but that puzzled me more than anything. I'll go with the main event of 2002, since I hated Lesnar's push, thought it was a terrible idea, and that he hadn't earned jack shit. Lesnar/Rock isn't a bad match or anything, but I just hated it.

BONUS ROUND:

8. Least favorite SS show. I have yet to see 1995 and 2003, so those might be it but I can't 100% say. Of the ones I have seen I'll go with 1996. That is a card with a sorta okay main event, the Boiler Room Brawl (an acquired taste), and a whole bunch of crap. It was also the least interested that I have ever been in the WWF.

9. Least favorite SS match. UT vs. UT from 1994. That's a decent PPV overall but that main event was just silly and bad.

10. Most underrated SS. I'll go with 2001. I get shocked looks from people when I insist that the Invasion angle produced some hell on wheels action, but this show rocks. 1993 just has too much awful booking on it to be underrated.

11. Most underrated match. Razor vs. Diesel IC title match from 1994. Never hear it mentioned but these guys of course work well together, Shawn acts like a fool, Walter Payton gets involved. Fun match.

1.) Favorite SummerSlam show overall? 1991

2.) Favorite world title match? Tough choice here. I'll go with Bret vs Owen from 1994, just ahead of Austin/Angle from 2001.

3.) Favorite mid card title match? Bret vs Perfect, Intercontinental title, 1991

4.) Favorite tag title match? TLC I, 2000

5.) Favorite non-title match? Test vs Shane McMahon, 1999

6.) Favorite segment? Watching the Mountie cry like a bitch as the police haul him off never gets old.

7.) Things you hated besides Goldberg screwed out of winning the Elimination Chamber? I didn't really like it when Shawn Michaels went over Vader. Also, I was so sure as a kid that Perfect was going to win in 1993, and get that third I-C title, but he didn't.

8. Least favorite SummerSlam overall? 1996

9. Least favorite match? Undertakers match, 1994

10. Most underrated SummerSlam? 1993

11. Most underrated SummerSlam match? Ted DiBiase vs Virgil, Million Dollar title, 1991

I don't quite get the revisionist love for SS 93. At the time I recall renting that tape and being thoroughly underwhelmed. The booking of the main event is so egregious and dumb that there's no way I can possibly like that show, not to mention the idiotic "reversal of decision" booking in Bret/Lawler (I hated that booking then and I hate it whenever anyone drags it out of mothballs, like in TNA this week).

Honestly that PPV is the closest the WWF ever came to booking an NWA/WCW type PPV with nothing but unsatisfying results.

I normally agree with you on the Reversed Decision booking (I hated it at Wrestlemania XIV), but here it worked well and made sense since the feud was supposed to be blown off at Survivor Series.

1) This was the first time I had seen it so it was fresh.

2) Bret was a former WWF Champion, current King of the Ring and widely regarded as the best pure wrestler in the WWF. Lawler was a commentator on Superstars. There was no conceivable way that Lawler could win.

3) Lawler had already tried to weasel out of the match by making Bret fight Doink first. Now that I didn't like, because usually it means the heel does get out of the match (see the never-ending Rick Steiner/Scott Steiner feud in WCW for example), but here it works because Lawler is forced to fight Bret afterwards anyways.

4) The reactions by Lawler, Bret, Owen & Bruce are fantastic. There is simply more excitement here than you normally get out of this angle.

All in all, I thought it was a great angle and one of the best parts of the show.

1. Favorite Summerslam Overall?

2002 Hands down. Great action from top to bottom, plus HBK's return.

Probably Bret/Taker if I HAD to sit down and just choose one. The heat for that finish was just amazing.

3. Favorite Mid-Card title match?

Bret vs Perfect from SummerSlam 91, the first PPV I ever ordered. Closely followed by Shawn/Razor from SummerSlam 95 (which I think is insanely underrated even with the botched finishes).

4. Favorite Tag Team title match?

Edge and Christian Vs The Hardy Boyz Vs The Dudley Boys TLC Match (2000). Easy.

5. Favorite Non Title match?

Shawn Michaels Vs Triple H street fight (2002). I was just in complete mark mode for this one, which was RARE in 2002.

6. Favorite Segment?:

The Mountie goes to jail at SummerSlam 91. "Doncha just love the feel of leather against your body"?

7. Things You Hated Besides Goldberg screwed out of winning the Elimination Chamber?

Well, that would've been the first thing that came to mind. The only thing from the SummerSlams I've seen that actively stood out as bad.

Bonus Round!

8. Least favorite SummerSlam overall?

03 was the only SummerSlam that I flat out didn't like. I liked 96 at the time (with the Boiler Room Brawl finish and HBK/Vader) but I agree with those who say it fell flat.

9. Least favorite match?

Since we're talking preference and not necessarily quality, Elimination Chamber in 03 (can you tell I didn't like that one?). In terms of actual quality, I'd probably go with Diesel/Mabel, but I can't hate that match since it gives me a good laugh everytime I watch it.

10. Most Underrated SummerSlam?

95 is a pretty strong show that gets unfairly stigmatized due to the company's direction at the time.

11. Most Underrated Match?

I'll say Bret/Doink/Lawler from 93. I just saw it for the first time about a month ago and the atmosphere and everything just blew me away. I think this is just some classic stuff yet I never really hear much about it. Aside from that, I'll second Kid/Hakushi, though I remember Barry Horowitz vs Skip from 95 being pretty good as well.

I'm glad I'm the only one that doesn't hate '95. It's not one of my favorites like you I always thought it got a bad rap because of the incredibly shitty main event and the shitty direction the company was going in. Of course, you've got HBK/Razor II but you also have the underrated 123 Kid/Hakushi opener and Bret Hart carrying Issac Yankem to a *** match. Barry Horowitz-Skip was a fun undercard match and even Kama/Undertaker was watchable. Everything else (besides the main event) was really too forgettable to be considered truly awful. There's no way anybody can convince me that show is worse than '96, '99, or some of the more recent ones.

SS 99 wasn't too bad of a show, it's more just a forgettable one. I don't really get why they blew off Austin/UT/Vince the previous month at Fully Loaded rather than do that at SS. HHH in mid 1999 had zero heat to main event something like SummerSlam.

The Lawler/Bret match was the first time I had seen the reversal of decision booking. It sucks. It's a stupid, bad finish. It didn't make me hate Lawler at the time, it just made me roll my eyes and dismiss everything I had just seen.

The Lawler/Bret match was the first time I had seen the reversal of decision booking. It sucks. It's a stupid, bad finish. It didn't make me hate Lawler at the time, it just made me roll my eyes and dismiss everything I had just seen.

Erm, that's because the finish wasn't supposed to make you hate Lawler. It was supposed to:

A) Demonstrate the hatred that Hart (and his family) had towards The King.

B) Keep the feud from blowing off.

It succeeded in both.

BONUS ROUND

8. Least favorite SummerSlam overall? 1993. I hate 1995, but as well others have noted, it has more to offer than 93 did. I also have to say 2007. Other than Cena / Orton, the show sucked ass.

9. Least favorite match? Tie. Diesel Vs. Mabel, Undertaker Vs. JBL

10. Most Underrated SummerSlam? 2003. EC was a disappointment and I didn't care for Shane / Eric, but you had Angle Vs. Lesnar, a good fatal four way, a decent Kane Vs. RVD bout as well as the tag title matches with Dudleyz Vs. Resistance.

Warrior/Savage 92

The whole storyline with who will Mr. Perfect side with, the match itself, and the ending with Mr. Perfect and Flair causing havoc during the match and resulting to a countout made it my personal favorite.

I take this back... Angle/Austin from Summerslam 2001 is my favorite.