TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Smues

Orlando

Guest Smues

I'm going to Orlando early next month for a vacation with the wife. Other than praying that there is no hurricane or tropical storm, what are some things I should do while I'm down there? Other than Discovery Cove, Aquatica, Bush Gardens Tampa and Sea World which are already paid for (although I doubt I make it to all four of those, I don't have much of a desire to go Busch Gardens, it was just included in a package deal with Discovery Cove) I don't have any specifc plans about which theme parks and what not to hit. Which ones are worth it, which ones are to be avoided? What else is there to do in the area besides go to goofy theme parks?

You'll regret not going to Busch Gardens. Because, see, it's both a zoo and an amusement park. And they have one of those water rides where it takes forever and you don't think you're going to get wet but then it goes downhill really fast and you get totally soaked and it's awesome. And they've got awesome roller coasters. I never spent a day at Busch Gardens that wasn't the best of my life and that's the truth. Sea World is lame by comparison.

Guest Smues

Sea World and Discovery Cove I have no choice over, wife wants to go. I guess I will have to make the trek to Busch Gardens, roller coasters!

Don't stay in the tourist traps, aka International Drive and close to Disney. You;re going to pay out of the ass for lodging, and the gas stations overcharge for fuel by like 30 cents a gallon. That was six years ago, when I lived there, so I can only imagine how bad it is now. Staying in Kissimmee isn't *too* bad. Everything is usually within a 15-20 minute drive.

And yes, by all means no matter what, go to Busch Gardens. You won't regret it.

I used to work for Iron Mountain and my delivery/pickup route took me behind the Magic Kingdom. Let me tell you, there is nothing like watching a character shift change. The women playing Cinderella, Snow White, Ariel, Jasmine, et al were some of the most beautiful women I have ever seen.

Me, I would take Universal Studios over Disney. No matter where you go, you are going to have to deal with crowds and tourists from overseas. International Drive was always popping back when I lived there, I can only imagine what its like now.

Stay off of Orange Blossom Trail. If you take it too far north, you;re in the hood fo sho. Its interesting to see what it looks like, as they spent a ton years ago to put in big sidewalks and proper lighting to give the illusion of safety... but the more things change, the more they stay the same. I want to say that downtown Orlando is a happening spot, but the last time it was any kind of happening was in 1995. When I left, the place was a ghost town. There used to be stores and clubs and a pretty decent if old-fashioned mall, but before I left the place shut down at 5 o clock, once all the businesses and government workers went home. It was a shame.

Take all of this with a grain of salt, since I left there in 2002.

During the ten years I lived there, I didn't go to many of the attractions, as I was too broke and too busy trying to keep food in my cupboard and the lights on... I;ve been thinking of going back for a week or so, if only to see how the place has changed, if it has at all.

Guest Vitamin X

Oh yeah Islands of Adventure is probably the second best amusement park there after Busch Gardens. Everyone from Miami always goes up there just for that.

Pleasure Island at DisneyWorld is pretty fun, too.

Busch Gardens fucking sucks. I had a season pass the whole time I lived in Tampa, never used it. Then again, I don't like any amusement parks besides the Disney ones.

Guest Vitamin X

I lived a few blocks away from Six Flags Magic Mountain while growing up. People got season passes and would go there just for the hell of it, not even riding any rides but just meeting chicks that came from out of town. My friend and I met these hot twins once this way. Twins, people! It's like I'd like that, but you can have another too!

Yeah, I used to do that when I was younger. Once I totally immersed myself in white trash meth fever, I didn't even have to leave my house to meet girls. I'd just fuck all my brothers babysitters. Busch Gardens? That's for Quakers.

Guest Smues

So do Busch Gardens, Universal Studios, and Island of Adventure, and then Disney World if there's still time. Got it. Is Epcot worth a visit? I'm interested in going, but I haven't heard anything good about it from anyone who has gone. If I'm really lucky I'll be seeing a Devil Rays post season game in Tampa, so if that happens I'll hit Busch Gardens that day.

As for lodging I don't remember the place I'm staying at, but it wasn't expensive. I had already booked some cheap hotel for the week, figuring I'm spending enough on everything else that I don't need to pay for a really nice hotel, but then a friend of my mom heard I was going down there and she's a member of some time share thing and got me a pretty great rate at a nice looking hotel through that.

Any restaurants I need to check out? NBA city looks like it could be cool.

You'll regret not going to Busch Gardens. Because, see, it's both a zoo and an amusement park. And they have one of those water rides where it takes forever and you don't think you're going to get wet but then it goes downhill really fast and you get totally soaked and it's awesome. And they've got awesome roller coasters. I never spent a day at Busch Gardens that wasn't the best of my life and that's the truth. Sea World is lame by comparison.

IF the Busch Gardens in Orlando is anything like the one in VA then its a waste of time.

I want to go to Disney next year to take advantage of the Free Birthday admission offer but I doubt Ill be able to.

Epcot center is about ten years behind the times... go, if only to say that you were there.

I'm just happy that Sci-Fi City is still in business.

Guest C*Z*E*C*H
I want to go to Disney next year to take advantage of the Free Birthday admission offer but I doubt Ill be able to.

I think that's for children, but I hope with all my heart that you try nonetheless.