TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

The College Football Thread 10/16 - 10/18

After scanning around the Net following the BYU game and the fall-out of such, I have a question. Where does the Mountain West fall in "caliber" to you guys? Bloggers comments where making BYU out to be the next incarnation of Hawaii where they are playing no-name scrubs or bearly eeking out wins against La Tech or San Jose State and if they made a BCS Bowl they'd just get raped blind by whoever got the short stick in the BCS.

While they played in some tight games, they played against BCS conference schools (granted they aren't top end of their respective conferences, but I digress) and they've never shied away from scheduling against bigger name schools. (Knocking off Number 1 Miami in the Detmer era, doing a couple home-home with Notre Dame)

As of right this second 3 MWC teams are top 25. Is the MWC seen as just another WAC with powder puff teams, or is it seen as just on the outside of a BSC conference and looking in?

Unfortunately, it's one of those situations where the lower teams tend to pull down the division and most people don't believe that top teams in those conferences can match up with the "bottom" teams even of other divisions (i.e. the SEC or Big 12). I think the top teams (ala BYU or Hawaii or Boise State) in their respective years were a bit short changed in terms of respect and the fact that Hawaii got blown out by Georgia (despite Boise State's win over Oklahoma) seems to have created that self fullfilling prophecy of, "The top team from the WAC, MAC, MWC, etc. won't be able to hold their own against a mid level Big 10, SEC. Big 12 team let alone a top one" kind of attitude.

It also doesn't help when coaches and media have a frickin' hard on for the "tough" conferences and complain about how Florida or Tennessee have tough schedules and ignore the fact that a team like BYU didn't choose their in-conference schedule but they get penalized anyway just because the other teams suck... it's not like BYU can make the teams in their conference good.

The AP poll is not part of the BCS and is irrelevant in determining the MNC game. They're #6 in the Harris, #7 in the Coaches', and #12 based on the computer averages.

How the fuck did Florida drop from 5th in the AP to 10th in the BCS??!?!??!?!?!

Florida has several opportunities to get back into contention here. They need to beat a strong Georgia team, a strong FSU team, and probably an undefeated Alabama team in the SEC championship. And then they'll still need either Penn State or Texas or both to lose to get into the BCS championship game. This is why that whole "losing at home to Ole Miss" thing was such a monumental fuckup and so devastating.

If they beat Penn State they'll still have an outside shot.

Not really. Yes in theory they do, but in practice nobody wants to see them in the national title game except for Jim Tressel and their faithful. I seriously doubt they leap the three top undefeated teams as well as the number of good 1 loss teams thus far.

True, but there are still six weeks to go. They need help, sure, but they're still in the picture.

The computers seem to like them, which helps their cause. They're fifth in the computer average, and none of the computers has them lower than seventh.