TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

The College Football Thread 10/16 - 10/18

After one quarter, UTEP and Tulsa are tied 28-28. They combined for 496 yards of offense in the quarter.

Man, I miss BYU being in the WAC. 23403 of total offense a game.

35-0 after a drive that started with a Mizzou TD being overturned and having McCoy get stripped of the ball, only to pick it back up and hit Cosby with a pass for a large gain.

been fine here, switching between that, KState and Colorado (now over, KSU again pulling their Jeckyl and Hyde act) and the ALCS

Don't get too impressed by John, word out of Austin is that he hasn't been doing that great in picking up the playbook or fitting in at the QB position. They've also slotted him at WR for a bit and even created a "Q Package" to try and work him into the offense...which, well..that hasn't worked out all too well either.

Don't get too impressed by John, word out of Austin is that he hasn't been doing that great in picking up the playbook or fitting in at the QB position. They've also slotted him at WR for a bit and even created a "Q Package" to try and work him into the offense...which, well..that hasn't worked out all too well either.

I still want to know what the hell is going to happen if Penn State and Alabama lose. Right now OU looks like the best one-loss and if they keep winning their SOS will impress the computer and voters and keep them high enough to be No. 2 in the BCS.

I fear some voters will move USC ahead of them to keep that from happening but what if they lose again?

The way it's set up right now it looks like a Red River Shootout redux in Miami is possible. Would anyone have huge objections to that?

The first game was pretty good, so I don't think we'd see a huge outcry against the teams but we'd see the usual anger towards the system. It's still far too early to think about this stuff as we still have plently of games left.

I don't think the backlash would be as strong against a rematch as it was for Ohio State/Michigan since OU and Texas played so early in the season, but if either Florida or USC finishes the season with one loss, it's not going to happen. The voters could conceivably even jump a 12-0 Utah team over OU if that's what it takes to keep a rematch out of the title game.

The first game was pretty good, so I don't think we'd see a huge outcry against the teams but we'd see the usual anger towards the system. It's still far too early to think about this stuff as we still have plently of games left.

This is true, but on the other hand one thing I like about college football is that in between the action we can hypothesize and argue over this kind of stuff, which at least has some substance behind it (as opposed to say, the week between NFL games, where it's all just tabloid talk about TO, Ocho Cinco, Romo/Simpson, etc.).

As far as the question itself, I think that a lot would have to happen for Texas/Oklahoma to be the championship game. Let's assume for the moment that Texas is one of the participants. For Oklahoma to make it, the following things (at least) need to happen:

1. Penn State loses

2. the SEC champion finishes with more than one loss

The following things probably need to happen:

3. USC loses

4. Utah loses

Even though I think Oklahoma is better than USC (and have a much better loss on their resume), I'd imagine USC would finish ranked ahead of them due to being conference champions and desire of the voters to avoid a rematch in the championship game. Utah could squeeze into the championship game if they are the only serious unbeaten left (besides Texas).

If these 4 events took place, it would then come down to whether or not the voters care so much about the rematch aspect and the fact that Oklahoma is not a conference champion that they would vote for an obviously inferior team over them.

If BYU knocks off Utah in the Holy War I'll laugh, and laugh. Even more if it's 34-31. Then I'll laugh until I can't breath and laugh.

Ooh, BCS and title game stuff! I agree that it's early, but yeah, still fun. Since I'm still buzzing from today's games, I'll put out what is, to me, the most intriguing BCS scenario. I was discussing this with one of my best buddies earlier today, and we couldn't quite figure out an answer.

Texas wins out, and stays #1. Florida wins out, beating Georgia, Vandy, FSU, and then Alabama in the SEC championship. Penn State wins out, but Ohio State and Michigan State lose some more games, finishing, say 9-3 and 8-4 respectively. Do the clout of the SEC and victories over several 1- and 2-loss teams propel Florida into the title game? It sounds slightly ridiculous--an undefeated BCS team should always go in over a 1-loss team, right?--but Ohio State has pretty much singlehandedly killed the big-stage rep of the conference, and the SEC's performance against the Big Ten in the last two title games has certainly built a particular perception. If you really end up with wins over 10-2 Georgia, 12-1 Alabama, 10-2 LSU, 8-4 Vandy, and 9-3 FSU, could that compensate for the 1 loss? I lean towards "no, it wouldn't," but would love to see something that potentially apocalyptic play out, to really see how much weight strength-of-schedule has versus the big, beautiful 0 in the loss column.

No way, especially with Ohio State looking so strong going into the big showdown in Happy Valley. If Penn State wins out with that one big road win, the only way they don't go to the title game is if Alabama and Texas are both undefeated.

To add to Iggy's (correct) answer, I think this year's Penn State team will suffer less from the stigma of Ohio State's two championship game losses because they play exciting, offensive football and are recognized for it. I think they would be in more danger of getting discounted if they played traditional smash-mouth, "boring" Big 10 football. Also, they are killing their opponents offensively, not escaping with uninspiring wins that could easily have gone the other way.

And I think it would be very tough for Ohio State to lose three games at this point.

If Penn State runs the table, the spot is theirs, unless as previously mentioned, Texas and Alabama go unbeaten.

And based on the 2nd half of the Georgia game, and UK and Ole Miss, I would be shocked if that happens.

And I think it would be very tough for Ohio State to lose three games at this point.

If Penn State runs the table, the spot is theirs, unless as previously mentioned, Texas and Alabama go unbeaten.

And based on the 2nd half of the Georgia game, and UK and Ole Miss, I would be shocked if that happens.

Agree with all of this. I honestly thought today was Penn State's best chance to lose (and for half the game it looked like that could very well happen), not because Michigan is any good, but just because Penn State is the Big 10 JTTS and always lose to Michigan, even when they have the better team. Now that they are past the psychological barrier of beating Michigan, I think they will romp to an undefeated season, even though next week's game may be close.

As for Alabama, they look like a good team that is playing a bit over their heads right now, and living on borrowed time. Whether it's LSU or the SEC championship game, someone is going to take them down.

Obviously, if Penn State wins next week they should be able to make it to 12-0 and go to the title game, but they have to be an underdog at the Horseshoe, right? Especially with Ohio State finally getting their offense together today in that ridiculous 41-7 romp over Michigan State. The Buckeyes are looking fierce right now. FWIW, Ohio State's 45-3 at the Horseshoe since the start of 2002.

Obviously, if Penn State wins next week they should be able to make it to 12-0 and go to the title game, but they have to be an underdog at the Horseshoe, right? Especially with Ohio State finally getting their offense together today in that ridiculous 41-7 romp over Michigan State. The Buckeyes are looking fierce right now. FWIW, Ohio State's 45-3 at the Horseshoe since the start of 2002.

I would imagine so (if I had to guess at a line off the top of my head, I would guess that OSU will be favored by 2.5 points), and I wouldn't be surprised at all if Penn State lost in a hard-fought game. But getting that Michigan game out of the way has to give PSU a huge emotional and mental boost.

Here's my Top 25 BTW (not really in the mood to include previous rankings this week):

1. Texas 7-0

2. Alabama 7-0

3. Penn State 8-0

4. USC 5-1

5. Oklahoma 6-1

6. Florida 5-1

7. Oklahoma State 7-0

8. Ohio State 7-1

9. TCU 6-1

10. Texas Tech 7-0

11. Georgia 6-1

12. LSU 5-1

13. Utah 7-0

14. Boise State 6-0

15. Georgia Tech 6-1

16. South Florida 6-1

17. Pittsburgh 5-1

18. Boston College 5-1

19. Tulsa 7-0

20. Ball State 7-0

21. Missouri 5-2

22. Kansas 5-2

23. BYU 6-1

24. Virginia Tech 5-2

25. Arizona 5-2

Close: Florida State, California, Oregon State, North Carolina, Iowa

Remember when the Big XII North wasn't the South's bitch anymore? Remember when Mizzou was an unstoppable juggernaut that was going to contend for the national title? That was only 2 weeks ago. Then the south put them back in their place.

I also remember making a comment that OU and Mizzou remind me of OU and Nebraska in 01 where everybody kept saying they were on a collision course for the Big XII title game. Then it ended up being Texas and Colorado. It looks like Texas and KU this year.

all I know is that while I'm not --TOO-- worried about Oklahoma State, the game against Tech has me a bit worried. We've always been riding high going into Tech and that's usually when we fuck shit up and get embarrassed.

I'd love to see a Texas / Alabama or Texas / Penn State title game as I think it'd be good to get two teams with a lot of tradition into the big game. Texas / USC would be okay by me, but only because I don't have cable right now and wouldn't have to hear ESPN blow USC and talk about how they're looking for revenge from the previous meeting.

Notable FCS Scores...

#19 Furman beat #24 Citadel 34-20

#2 App State beat Georgia Southern 37-36

Lafayette upset #14 Liberty 35-21

#9 Richmond beat #10 Massachusetts 30-15

#6 Northern Iowa beat #20 North Dakota State 23-13

#5 Cal Poly beat #21 South Dakota State 42-28

Hoped you all watched the Southern game! Florida A&M won 52-49. Bryant Lee threw for 407 yards with 3 TD and ran for 64.

BCS Rankings

1. Texas

2. Alabama

3. Penn State

4. Oklahoma

5. USC

6. Oklahoma State

7. Georgia

8. Texas Tech

9. Ohio State

10. Florida

11. Utah

12. Boise State

13. LSU

14. TCU

15. Missouri

16. South Florida

17. Pittsburgh

18. Georgia Tech

19. Tulsa

20. Ball State

21. BYU

22. Northwestern

23. Kansas

24. Minnesota

25. Florida State

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Can't believe I'm saying this.

I have absolutely no argument with that top ten.

After scanning around the Net following the BYU game and the fall-out of such, I have a question. Where does the Mountain West fall in "caliber" to you guys? Bloggers comments where making BYU out to be the next incarnation of Hawaii where they are playing no-name scrubs or bearly eeking out wins against La Tech or San Jose State and if they made a BCS Bowl they'd just get raped blind by whoever got the short stick in the BCS.

While they played in some tight games, they played against BCS conference schools (granted they aren't top end of their respective conferences, but I digress) and they've never shied away from scheduling against bigger name schools. (Knocking off Number 1 Miami in the Detmer era, doing a couple home-home with Notre Dame)

As of right this second 3 MWC teams are top 25. Is the MWC seen as just another WAC with powder puff teams, or is it seen as just on the outside of a BSC conference and looking in?