TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

The College Football Thread 10/16 - 10/18

If Gailey was still around, I know he'd be trying to bomb away and would find a way to lose games like this whereas Johnson just keeps chipping away with the triple option until finally the defense gets worn down and lets some big plays go.

This is very true. For the most part, Johnson's been a very steady coach this year, sticking with his scheme and not making rash decisions. It'll cost them a few games this year when they do need a big play or when the defense solves the triple option, but as the scheme becomes more and more a part of Georgia Tech football, they should get stronger and stronger. He walked into a very good situation for installing a new offensive scheme: no matter what you're running on offense, or what square pegs you're trying to jam into round and triangle-shaped holes, that defensive line will give you a lot of leeway.

Upset Alert: Texas A&M 23, Texas Tech 20 near the end of the half. Again why are the Red Raiders in the Top 10?

Because they're the most overrated team in the country.

How about the slow, sad destruction of Wisconsin? Shonn Greene is taking them on a tour of the bitchmaking factory. If they can't turn it around against Iowa today, I think we have to stop calling them stuff like "the best 0-3 team in Big Ten history" and more like "a surprisingly crappy team."

To be fair, Texas Tech is one of only 5 undefeated BCS teams at this point, so it's reasonable for them to be ranked where they are. Now, they will lose at some point, and when they do they should take a big drop, but until then their unbeaten record needs to be given its due.

I think Maryland's season deserves another recap:

-Beat Delaware by 7

-Lose to Middle Tennessee

-Beat Cal

-Beat Clemson (well okay maybe not an upset now)

-Lose by 31 to Virginia

-Currently up 26 on Wake Forest

Looking at their next two games, I'm guessing they lose to N.C. State at home and then win at Virginia Tech.

I think Maryland's season deserves another recap:

-Beat Delaware by 7

-Lose to Middle Tennessee

-Beat Cal

-Beat Clemson (well okay maybe not an upset now)

-Lose by 31 to Virginia

-Currently up 26 on Wake Forest

Looking at their next two games, I'm guessing they lose to N.C. State at home and then win at Virginia Tech.

This year's Maryland team single-handedly manages to ruin my pick-em virtually every week. I pick them to win the games they should win and lose the games they should lose, and they go out and do the exact opposite almost without exception.

No one cares about the Big East this year but an upset of note as Rutgers beat UConn 12-10. The Scarlet Knights came into this week as the lowest ranked BCS conference team according to the computer rankings.

You're 0 for 2 on the upset calls Bored. Rutgers was a 1 1/2 point favorite over UConn at kickoff. The Huskies are just a bad team with Frazer at QB.

A 1-5 team was favored over a 5-1 team? Guess the odds makers still thought Ray Rice was playing for Rutgers, but whatever they ended being right. It's still a big upset in my view.

Well, the Sagarin ratings had UConn as 7.5 points better on a neutral field. Take off 3 points for home advantage and another 7 points for the dropoff at QB and it's not that hard to understand. UConn's record was largely a product of their schedule anyway, as their only road win/only win over a team with a pulse was against Louisville. I actually bet on Rutgers today laying the points just because UConn's so bad.

Upset Alert: Texas A&M 23, Texas Tech 20 near the end of the half. Again why are the Red Raiders in the Top 10?

Because they have a flashy passing offense that runs up 40+ points against shit teams

USC is on pace to beat Wazzu 140-0.

I wonder how high the voters will hop them for beating up the worst team in the country? I'm sure they'll get a lot of points just from their own name value.

Meanwhile OU is having a little bit of a RRS hangover, if Texas has the same we may see another new #1 next week.

So much for Michigan State making a surprise run for the Big Ten title.

Wazzu vs. Division I-A Scoreboad Update

Division I-A 348

Wazzu 64

Guest Smues
Wazzu vs. Division I-A Scoreboad Update

Division I-A 348

Wazzu 64

This year's Apple Cup is going to rock!

3 straight long scoring drives to a team who is like 100 something in total offense. Great job, PSU! It's nice to see that no matter what losers Michigan suits up to play for them, you will always be their bitch. Horrible.

Holy shit, UVA did it. 16-13, OT. UNC still hasn't won in Charlottesville since '81. I cannot believe they pulled that off the way that one looked to be slipping away from them. Thank you, Butch Davis, for taking a knee at your own 20 with 47 seconds to go, instead of trying to win the game.

Ugh, STANFORD~ goes to a prevent defense in the final two and a half minutes and let's the pathetic UCLA offense march 88 yards for the winning score. Bowl hopes take a huge hit there. They'll get win #5 against Wazzu after the bye but they close the season at Oregon, vs. USC, and at Cal.

Guest Smues

I think that cost me a win in your league. I blame you for making me think Stanford didn't suck!

Well, Penn St. did a lot better than what I'd thought they do in the second half,(39 unanswered pts.), especially given how they played in the first half. They start out against Ohio St. next week the way they did with Michigan this week, they will obviously get their asses handed to them.

Looks more than likely that the 33 year bowl-streak will end this year

As well as that 40-year streak of non-losing seasons.

You know, I think Michigan's offense will eventually come around (Minor had over 100 yards rushing and Threet looked good for awhile) when Rodriguez gets more talent up in Ann Arbor, but what the fuck is up with that defense? This is a group that has a bunch of veterans but they've gotten torched in most of their games.

How about the slow, sad destruction of Wisconsin? Shonn Greene is taking them on a tour of the bitchmaking factory. If they can't turn it around against Iowa today, I think we have to stop calling them stuff like "the best 0-3 team in Big Ten history" and more like "a surprisingly crappy team."

I've had to stop watching. They're the worst. It seemed kinda promising going into the season but they've been horrendous since being up 17-0 on Michigan. They can't throw, run, block, tackle, or coach. But they make up for it by having a really classy band. No, wait, the band got suspended too. Nevermind.