TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

The College Football Thread 11/4 - 11/8

One of my friends is a huge Utah fan. He contends that the 2004 team could have been any of the other unbeatens a run for their money, and is already planning to travel from Eugene to wherever their BCS bowl game ends up being (assuming they make it). Even he doesn't think they should be in the championship game, because he is confident they would get killed by any of the "Big 5" (TT, Alabama, Florida, Texas, Oklahoma). In fact, he's worried that they are going to end up playing the 2nd place team from the Big 12 South in the Fiesta Bowl and getting killed; he would rather play the ACC, Big East, Big 10, or Pac-10 champ (and that includes USC) over any of those aforementioned teams.

One of my friends is a huge Utah fan. He contends that the 2004 team could have been any of the other unbeatens a run for their money, and is already planning to travel from Eugene to wherever their BCS bowl game ends up being (assuming they make it). Even he doesn't think they should be in the championship game, because he is confident they would get killed by any of the "Big 5" (TT, Alabama, Florida, Texas, Oklahoma). In fact, he's worried that they are going to end up playing the 2nd place team from the Big 12 South in the Fiesta Bowl and getting killed; he would rather play the ACC, Big East, Big 10, or Pac-10 champ (and that includes USC) over any of those aforementioned teams.

Yeah, the thing going against Utah right now is that the 2004 team was REALLY good and everyone's going to compare this team to that. Which isn't fair. Utah's decent this year, but I don't think they could beat most of the top 15 teams in the BCS right now.

BCS Rankings

1. Alabama

2. Texas Tech

3. Texas

4. Florida

5. Oklahoma

6. USC

7. Utah

8. Penn State

9. Boise State

10. Georgia

11. Ohio State

12. Missouri

13. Oklahoma State

14. Ball State

15. Michigan State

16. North Carolina

17. BYU

18. TCU

19. Florida State

20. LSU

21. Pittsburgh

22. Cincinnati

23. Tulsa

24. Wake Forest

25. South Carolina

Such horseshit to have texas ahead of Florida.

yeah, seriously, what has Texas done besides beating #1 Oklahoma on a neutral field and losing by 1 point on the last play to Texas Tech? Florida, who lost to an unranked team at home and has beaten one top ten team on a neutral field, is clearly more deserving.

Texas was dominated by Texas Tech ALL GAME. Did you not watch? Anyone who says, "It was only a loss by 1 point" obviously didn't watch the game. Florida KILLED georgia on a neutral field. Texas beat Oklahoma on a neutral field. Have you not watched any Florida games lately? They have been slaughtering opponents easily.

Oh, and don't forget both the AP and Coaches polls have Florida ahead of texas.

Texas was dominated by Texas Tech ALL GAME. Did you not watch? Anyone who says, "It was only a loss by 1 point" obviously didn't watch the game. Florida KILLED georgia on a neutral field. Texas beat Oklahoma on a neutral field. Have you not watched any Florida games lately? They have been slaughtering opponents easily.

Oh, and don't forget both the AP and Coaches polls have Florida ahead of texas.

So they got killed all game yet somehow managed to be up six points with 2 seconds to go? Is that your argument?

Of course I watched the game. It was one of the best games I've ever seen. Tech deserved the win, Texas played well in the 2nd half. I like how you're blaming Texas for getting killed for a half against a top 10 team on the road and ignoring the mighty Gators losing AT HOME TO OLE MISS.

Florida made ALOT of stupid mistakes in that game. Bad turnovers, multiple shooting self in foot, etc. It's not like ol miss was the better team in the game. Florida stopped Florida from winning. Texas was just handled by Tech the entire game.

Florida made ALOT of stupid mistakes in that game. Bad turnovers, multiple shooting self in foot, etc. It's not like ol miss was the better team in the game. Florida stopped Florida from winning. Texas was just handled by Tech the entire game.

By entire game you mean 1st half since they WERE WINNING WITH 2 SECONDS TO GO. I just want to make sure you understand that Texas, despite playing bad, was winning with 2 seconds to go. You do understand that, right?

I can't wait for FSU to beat Florida and end all this stupid "OMG FLORIDA IS TEH BESTEST TEAM EVER!!" bullshit. Even Wake Forest beat Ole Miss. In Oxford.

With Texas at No. 3 I'm becoming a little bit more worried about OU's chances of winning a 3-way tie over Texas and Tech by having the highest BCS ranking. Then again if OU beats the No. 2 team in the country and then the No. 13 on the road (OSU) to finish the season then that should be enough to catapult their BCS ranking.

With Texas at No. 3 I'm becoming a little bit more worried about OU's chances of winning a 3-way tie over Texas and Tech by having the highest BCS ranking. Then again if OU beats the No. 2 team in the country and then the No. 13 on the road (OSU) to finish the season then that should be enough to catapult their BCS ranking.

Yeah exactly. Just like if Florida wins out, they will jump Texas. Texas's schedule coming up is pretty damn soft. The downside to playing all the tough games in a row towards the middle.

I can't wait for FSU to beat Florida

This will not happen. I hope you're not pinning your hopes on this happening.

And I have absolutely no problem with Texas being ahead of Florida in the BCS rankings. If the Gators continue to play the way they have since that Ole Miss debacle, there won't be any keeping them out of the title game.

Ugh, not only are you some Cowboys fan, you're an insufferable Gators fan.

Harp all you want on Texas being "handled" by Tech, but like someone else pointed out..there's two half's to a game and in the 2nd half, Texas came out and actually began to run their offense and hold Tech to quite a few 3 and outs.

I'll be the first to admit that Texas looked like hell that game, but had they won..they would've remained at 1st place in the BCS despite "being handled" for the entire game because in the end, a win is a win.

As others have pointed out as well, Texas beat the then #1 Ranked team in the nation on a neutral field then followed it up with wins over two top 10 teams at home only to finally lose to a top 10 team on the road that also happened to be a rival.

Look, I think Florida is a good team..potentially great, but as it stands right now, the Longhorns hold the edge over Florida and if you're going to sit there and go "oh...well the Coaches have Florida over Texas"..then let me be the first to remind you that most of, if not all of the coaches are fucking ignorant and play the "what have you done for me lately" game.

Besides, for Florida to play in the National Title game they've gotta win out..hope for Alabama / Tech and others to lose out as well. Granted, they can make things easier for themselves if come SEC title game Alabama's still undefeated and they can knock them off..but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Sorry Broward, you're wrong. Florida doesn't need any help at all. There's no way the voters will let two Big XII teams play for the title, so if Florida wins out, there's at least a 99% chance they play for the title. The only way they don't is if they win every game by single digits the rest of the way, Bama loses before the SEC title game, and USC gets a groundswell of support to pass the Gators after blowing out the rest of their opponents.

I meant he needed Tech / Bama or others to lose. If Bama wins out and beats Florida, UF isn't getting in. If they beat Bama and Tech wins out or its 2 Big 12 teams at 1 and 2, then yeah..I can see Florida getting into the national title game...but they've got to win-out...one more loss for them, even if Bama drops or Tech drops would kick them out.

I meant he needed Tech / Bama or others to lose. If Bama wins out and beats Florida, UF isn't getting in. If they beat Bama and Tech wins out or its 2 Big 12 teams at 1 and 2, then yeah..I can see Florida getting into the national title game...but they've got to win-out...one more loss for them, even if Bama drops or Tech drops would kick them out.

Of course Florida has to win out. That goes without saying. Anyone loses now and they are out of the title picture.

Of course Florida has to win out. That goes without saying. Anyone loses now and they are out of the title picture.

The only team that could conceivably lose and still end up in the championship game is Alabama, if they dropped a close game in the next two and then blew out Florida in the SEC title game.

I don't even think they'd need to blow Florida out. A 12-1 SEC champ Alabama would have a hard time getting left out of the game, considering that the most likely matchup excluding the SEC champ is two Big XII South teams, and you know the voters would do everything in their power to avoid the same-conference rematch, as they did in 2006.