TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

The College Football Thread 11/4 - 11/8

A whopping six Top 25 games this week and all with BCS bowl implications which I'll rundown.

Oklahoma State at Texas Tech: The Big XII owns your college footbaw soul this year as once again the biggest game of the week comes from that conference, although for the first time in a month it doesn't involve Texas. Tech controls their own destiny to making the MNC Game while Oklahoma State probably needs too much help to get there but running the table would likely get them a BCS bowl. Note this game is regional in the ESABCPN primetime slot so I will post the coverage map when it's released, but with the other game being Cal/USC it's pretty easy to figure out what part of the country won't get this game.

Alabama at LSU: Nick Saban makes his long awaited return to Baton Rouge and no game will have as much pure hatred in the stands as this one all year. Alabama obviously will be the MNC if they win out while LSU will need to win out to have any chance at one of the BCS at large spots and even then it might not be enough. Hopefully this turns out to be a decent game as the ESS EEE SEE on SEE BEE ESS games have been terrible this year.

TCU at Utah: This game is Thursday night on CBS College Sports so a lot of you will have to rely on ESPN to give you updates during their game. Gee ya think the Mountain West might want to rethink their television deal that leaves them as the only conference without games televised by the WWL? It's pretty simple for Utah, win out and they are likely on their way to the Fiesta Bowl. TCU has an outside chance of still of getting in but they'll need to hop Boise State to do so. Speaking of which, the Broncos will definitely have an eye on this game as there is little to no chance that two non-BCS conference schools get BCS bids so they need Utah to lose or otherwise it's off to play another glorified home game against a 6-6 ACC team.

California at USC: This is a big game for the Trojans because beyond being eliminated from MNC contention, a loss here could also kill their BCS bowl chances as they would lose out on tiebreaks to both Oregon State and Cal for the Rose Bowl. Of course being that USC has become the Notre Dame of the west coast, they may still get an at large bid in that scenario. Cal hasn't been to a Rose Bowl in my lifetime and I pray it stays that way.

Ohio State at Northwestern. The Buckeyes may not lose the MNC game again this year but win out and they are a lock for a BCS at large bid. Northwestern's only chance at a shocking BCS bid would be to run the table and hope Penn State makes the MNC game which would then make the Wildcats a replacement candidate for the Rose Bowl.

Georgia Tech at North Carolina. The Clusterfuck to Tampa continues! The winner of this game probably emerges the favorite to win the conference and the Orange Bowl bid but becoming the favorite in the ACC usually means you lose the following week. If you think the Big XII South tiebreak scenarios are a headache, it could get much worse in both divisions of the ACC. Coverage note, ESABCPN passed on this game for Clemson/FSU so it's off to Raycom.

Network/Basic Cable Schedule

TUESDAY

Miami of Ohio at Buffalo, 7:30/4:30 PM, ESPN2

WEDNESDAY

Northern Illinois at #17 Ball State, 8:00/5:00 PM, ESPN2

THURSDAY

#23 Maryland at Virginia Tech, 7:30/4:30 PM, ESPN

FRIDAY

Nevada at Fresno State, 9:00/6:00 PM, ESPN2

SATURDAY

Michigan at Minnesota, Noon/9:00 AM, ESPN

#11 Ohio State at #24 Northwestern, Noon/9:00 AM, ESPN2

Baylor at #4 Texas, Noon/9:00 AM, FSN

Iowa State at Colorado, 1:30 PM/10:30 AM, Versus

#1 Alabama at #16 LSU, 3:30/12:30 PM, CBS

#3 Penn State at Iowa, 3:30/12:30 PM, ABC/ESPN

Clemson at #22 Florida State, 3:30/12:30 PM, ABC/ESPN*

#6 Oklahoma at Texas A&M, 3:30/12:30 PM, ABC*

Stanford at Oregon, 3:30/12:30 PM, FSN

Kansas State at #14 Missouri, 7:00/4:00 PM, FSN

#9 Oklahoma State at #2 Texas Tech, 8:00/5:00 PM, ABC*

#21 California at #7 USC, 8:00/5:00 PM, ABC*

Notre Dame at Boston College, 8:00/5:00 PM, ESPN

#5 Florida at Vanderbilt, 8:00/5:00 PM, ESPN2

Digital Cable/Satellite/GamePlan Schedule

WEDNESDAY

Toledo at Akron, 8:00/5:00 PM, ESPNU

THURSDAY

Howard at South Carolina State, 7:00/4:00 PM, ESPNU

#12 TCU at #8 Utah, 8:00/5:00 PM, CBSCS

FRIDAY

Penn at Princeton, 7:00/4:00 PM, ESPNU

SATURDAY

Rutgers at Syracuse, Noon/9:00 AM, ESPNU

Purdue at #18 Michigan State, Noon/9:00 AM, BTN*

Wisconsin at Indiana, Noon/9:00 AM, BTN*

#20 Georgia Tech at #19 North Carolina, Noon/9:00 AM, Raycom*/GP

Louisville at Pittsburgh, Noon/9:00 AM, GP

Illinois vs. Western Michigan, Noon/9:00 AM, GP

#13 Georgia at Kentucky, 12:30 PM/9:30 AM, Raycom*/GP

Colgate at Lehigh, 12:30 PM/9:30 AM, FCS Pacific

Wyoming at Tennessee, 1:00 PM/10:00 AM, GP

Arkansas at South Carolina, 1:00 PM/10:00 AM, GP

San Diego State at #15 BYU, 2:00 PM/11:00 AM, Mtn.

Illinois State at South Dakota State, 2:00 PM/11:00 AM, FCS Atlantic

Utah State at #10 Boise State, 3:00 PM/Noon, GP

Texas State at Northeast Louisiana, 3:00 PM/Noon, FCS Central

Virginia at Wake Forest, 3:30/12:30 PM, ESPNU

Marshall at East Carolina, 3:30/12:30 PM, CBSCS

Western Kentucky at Troy, 3:30/12:30 PM, GP

Hawaii at New Mexico State, 4:00/1:00 PM, GP

Colorado State at Air Force, 6:00/3:00 PM, Mtn.

Cincinnati at #25 West Virginia, 7:00/4:00 PM, ESPNU

Arizona State at Washington, 7:00/4:00 PM, FCS Pacific

UTEP at UL Lafayette, 7:00/4:00 PM, GP

Tulane at Houston, 8:00/5:00 PM, CBSCS

New Mexico at UNLV, 10:00/7:00 PM, Mtn.

All Other Division I-A Games

SATURDAY

Kansas at Nebraska

Bowling Green at Ohio

Tennessee-Martin at Auburn

Army at Rice

Memphis at SMU

N.C. State at Duke, ESPN360

UL Monroe at Middle Tennessee

North Texas at FAU

Arizona at Washington State

Oregon State at UCLA

Arkansas State at FIU

Louisiana Tech at San Jose State

Edited by Bored

Not a ton of huge match ups but oh well... the ESPNU games shouldn't be that interesting unless you want to see 7-2 South Carolina State on Thursday.

Maine (6-3) @ UMass (6-1) - Airing on CSN at 12 PM ET

Dayton (8-1) @ Butler (6-2)

Sacred Heart (8-1) @ Monmouth (5-4)

Bethune-Cookman (6-2) @ Hampton (5-3)

FCS vs. FBS: Tennessee-Martin (7-2) heads on the road to take on ESS EE SEE Auburn (4-5)

Western Illinois (5-3) @ Southern Illinois (6-2)

New Hampshire (7-1) @ Villanova (6-2) - Airing on CN8 at 3:30 PM ET

Northwestern State (6-3) @ Central Arkansas (7-2)

Did Fulmer actually win a national championship at some point, or was that just some nightmare I had

Didn't he win it in 1998 with Tee Martin at QB the year after Peyton left for the NFL?

That is correct.

Can't call it unexpected, although I thought they'd wait until after the season. What massively-hyped coach from outside the BCS conferences will they bring in to replace him?

Might not be outside the BCS..I know Leach has been getting a lot of looks from people but he's gone on record as saying he's happy at TEch...

That is correct.

Can't call it unexpected, although I thought they'd wait until after the season. What massively-hyped coach from outside the BCS conferences will they bring in to replace him?

If they want to look at the I-AA division (Jerry Kill has Northern Illinois at 5-3 and 4-1 in conference so the successful move up can be made) the following names would be interesting though I'm not sure how contracts would work and such.

Jerry Moore (Appalachian State): 167-70 entering 2008. Doubtful he'd leave but it'd certainly be an interesting option...

Don Brown (Massachusetts): 36-14 entering 2008. An interesting option but has coached at Northeastern and UMass. Would he move South?

Kurt C. Keeler (Delaware): 52-26 entering 2008. A little more up and down throughout his career though.

Jon Heacock (Youngstown State): 50-31 entering 2008. The guy who coached before him? Been a little successful and goes by the name of Jim Tressel.

Matt Viator (McNeese State): Has gone 17-3 in only 2 seasons and could be a guy to keep an eye on in future job opportunities.

Bobby Hauck (Montana): 52-14 entering 2008. Should really get a look from a I-A school IMO.

Sean McDonnell (New Hampshire): 60-47 entering 2008. A solid head coach but has been up and down like Keeler.

Mickey Matthews (James Madison): 64-44 entering 2008.

Bob Spoo (Eastern Illinois): A little old but a lot of wins (135-107) at the I-AA level.

A real surprise...

Larry Kehres (Mount Union): Come on... the media frenzy alone would be great for a guy with a 260-21-3 record at a D3 school.

I've already heard alot of talk about Brian Kelly leaving Cincinnati for the Tennessee gig. Although he has claimed he has no intentions to leave the UC program, we know how honest college coaches are. He had alot of buzz last season and even though this season might be categorized as a "let-down", they still have a great shot at the Big East Championship, which would increase his stock. I don't think he leaves but I do think his name will come up often, even if he denies it.

No more Great Pumpkin! It's about time Tennessee got on the crazy ass offensive scheme bandwagon instead of continuing this stone age bullshit. I have no idea who could offer this, but get them to Knoxville stat. Losing to South Carolina is inexcusable.

Did Fulmer actually win a national championship at some point, or was that just some nightmare I had

Didn't he win it in 1998 with Tee Martin at QB the year after Peyton left for the NFL?

He did.

Yet Tee Martin is looked down upon in TN.

I'm thinking my team may suffer a loss this weekend. I mean everyone in Sooner land is going crazy about the Tech and OSU games, while overlooking a steadily improving A&M team. It's a trap!

I'm thinking my team may suffer a loss this weekend. I mean everyone in Sooner land is going crazy about the Tech and OSU games, while overlooking a steadily improving A&M team. It's a trap!

This game is pretty much the only time I root for AnM..and while I'd love to see AnM sneak one in against OU..thus causing OU to get even more pissed and just rape Tech later in the month, I've gotta tell you Dama that you shouldn't worry too much about this game. OU in a rout...

just as clarification, I do know Fulmer won the championship back in 1998... I've largely wiped that entire season from my mind though after what happened to Kansas State.

I didn't find Fulmer hoisting the crystal football anywhere near as appalling as, say, Tressel or Mack Brown

There has been major talk about getting Gruden to Tennessee in 09. Probably a pipe dream, but Chucky on the UT sideline would be legendary.

I actually think Gruden would be an excellent college coach--possibly better than he is a pro coach--but would rather him stay in Tampa. I'm just not sure who we could hire that would be any better. And with things going fairly well this year and him just signing an extension a few months ago, I doubt the guy is going anywhere.

2010 FCS Playoffs

Thought this was interesting. Looks like the FCS (I-AA) will expand to 10 automatic bids and currently would have 10 at large teams in addition so there would be 20 teams overall for the 2010 season. The two conferences added are the Big South and Northeast.

I'm hoping the Ivy League (especially since their teams were largely the "originators" in college football) and the Pioneer league (Especially with solid teams as of late such as San Diego in 2006 and Dayton this year) will get either automatic bids or be able to get teams into the playoffs.

So I-AA is able to do this but the I-A level won't go to a playoff? Ugh... they could even seed 24 teams like Division II with "automatic bids" from the ACC, Big East, Big 10, Big 12, SEC, MAC, Mountain West, and Pac-10. So 8 teams would get auto bids and 16 others would be at large... they could still select 3-4 SEC teams if they so desired.

That is correct.

It seems like more and more schools are not waiting to make changes. Look at Willingham in Washington, although that team has gone from mediocre to just plain horrible. They figure if they get rid of them now they can get a new coach lined up in time to not miss out on recruiting.

It seems like more and more schools are not waiting to make changes. Look at Willingham in Washington, although that team has gone from mediocre to just plain horrible. They figure if they get rid of them now they can get a new coach lined up in time to not miss out on recruiting.

I totally understand that mindset, too. But due to the length of Fulmer's tenure at Tennessee, I thought they'd probably wait until after the season. Then again, this is likely to be the worst season in the history of that program, so I can see why they'd be eager to act.

Slayer: haha, turn to the Deuce

CzechRepublic: I can't, I lost the remote.

Slayer: good one!

CzechRepublic: WHAHA

CzechRepublic: What fresh hell is this?

CzechRepublic: this is like an 8-bit Nintendo game come to life

CzechRepublic: no names on the back, no discernible striping patterns.

CzechRepublic: red team! blue team!

CzechRepublic: the fuck's at the top there?

Slayer: holy shit, I didn't notice that

CzechRepublic: Apparently I can text the scoreboard now?

Slayer: ESPN: The Home Game

CzechRepublic: hey booyah tits or gtfo

Slayer: im in ur scoreboard changin ur stats

CzechRepublic: miami of ohio rolled 3 6-sided dice

CzechRepublic: This is the strangest game I've ever seen, and it's on mute. It could be even weirder with sound.

Slayer: Mine's on mute too

Slayer: can I post this log in the college football thread?

CzechRepublic: I have a reputation to uphold.

CzechRepublic: If they find out that I'm watching a college football game, I'm done for!

They've been doing this for a about month now and I've been meaning to actually sit through one of these games when Lou Holtz is announcing as I'm sure it all has him very confused.

2010 FCS Playoffs

Thought this was interesting. Looks like the FCS (I-AA) will expand to 10 automatic bids and currently would have 10 at large teams in addition so there would be 20 teams overall for the 2010 season. The two conferences added are the Big South and Northeast.

I'm hoping the Ivy League (especially since their teams were largely the "originators" in college football) and the Pioneer league (Especially with solid teams as of late such as San Diego in 2006 and Dayton this year) will get either automatic bids or be able to get teams into the playoffs.

So I-AA is able to do this but the I-A level won't go to a playoff? Ugh... they could even seed 24 teams like Division II with "automatic bids" from the ACC, Big East, Big 10, Big 12, SEC, MAC, Mountain West, and Pac-10. So 8 teams would get auto bids and 16 others would be at large... they could still select 3-4 SEC teams if they so desired.

The Ivy League office doesn't allow their teams to compete in the football playoffs. The Pioneer League and non-scholarship Division I schools hold their own championship game. As for I-A...the presidents don't want a playoff because the lion's share of the money would go to the NCAA, it has nothing to do with the kids since they have a 12th game now regularly.

I've felt you can do 24 or 32 teams in I-A. You have 11 conferences, 11 auto bids and the rest at-large. You have to include everyone in a football playoff to make it work.

Ron Prince announces resignation

The article doesn't say if it's effective immediately or if he's going to ride out to season's end, but either way I'm glad he's decided to step down at this point. Now, hopefully, KSU will try and make a more successful run at picking up Brent Venables

Wow, seriously? Not even 3 seasons? That's kind of surprising, as I really expected him to at least get a 4th year. Half his recruits haven't even gotten into the system yet.