TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DMann2003

Slumdog Millionaire

there doesn't seem to be any reason for him to guess the last answer, except to increase the suspense, which is pointless anyway because we already know he wins.

Do we already know that he wins? I might be forgetting/missing something here, but the framing device of Jamal being questioned by the police occurs between the first and second night of his two-evening appearance on the show. He didn't actually win it all until the second night.

That said, that I knew the name of the third Musketeer killed any suspense built up once Jamal guessed correctly.

the caption before the action started. it was something like, "jamal malik won 20 million rupees on 'who wants to be a millionaire'. how'd he do it?

a. he cheated

b. he's lucky

c. he's a genius

d. it was written"

i don't remember exactly how it was phrased, but it was something that didn't leave the question of how far he got to the imagination. i do remember thinking, "well hell, what's the point of watching this when i already know what happens?"

Oh, yeah!

Actually...

The question at the beginning is actually phrased "Jamal is

one question away from winning 20 million rupees" so there is a little room for some doubt

I thought his motivation was a little too typical. It was very good and did an excellent job of getting me caught up in the story, but the questions tying into his backstory was far more interesting than anything else in the movie.

Well gee, I guess the HFPA got a bunch of kickbacks from Slumdog...just thier luck it really is that good a film.

I saw this movie today. I liked it a lot, but I wanted to like it more than I did. I am a big Danny Boyle fan, TRAINSPOTTING being one of my all time favorite films. It wasn't it was bad, in fact it was a great movie, but there was just something about it that kept me from saying "Yeah, this is a 4 star film." The directing was great, the acting was top notch and the DP did an amazing job, but there was just something about it that put in the 3 star category for me. The movie and everyone involved deserve everything they get out of this production though.

I saw this yesterday and utterly loved it. I can't remember the last time a character inspired as much sympathy from me as Jamal Malik.

I did enjoy the movie but I don't think it should win Best Picture. It's in the Crash category for me. Good movie, but not exactly Best Picture material.

Really enjoyed it, not perfect due to the last quarter or so of it but the scenery was beautiful and it's a credit to the people involved that they can make such desolate and depressing living areas look as good as things did. The young Salim was awesome, making the hard choices to survive and suchlike. Older Jamal was a very likable and sympathetic character and Latika played her role well.

Also, it should be noted. Freida Pinto. Sweet Jesus. That's a woman.

610x.jpg

Yeah.