TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Madmartigan21

Alternate version of '47 Miracle on 34th ST?

My father INSISTS that two versions of this movie were made in 1947. The other one has a different lead actor (I assume he was talking about the Edmund Gwen role, he didn't specify).

He says that in the other version all of the scenes are the same footage except the ones with the "other lead actor". Those scenes with the other lead actor are identical with the exception of the other actor of course.

I can't find any evidence of this anywhere. Does anybody have any idea if there is any grain of truth to this? And if so where I could find evidence other than someone's memory of it.

IMDB has no mention of this, nor does Wikipedia, Allmovie.com or TCM.com

I've made a bet with my father that he's wrong and just remembering things incorrectly. I offered the above mentioned web sites as proof. He believes the sites are all wrong. He wants to know how he can proove it if "my all-knowing web site (IMDB)" missed it or got it wrong. Any advice on how I can proceed would be greatly appreciated.

If this were true, you'd find a mention of it on the internet, believe me. He's probably just thinking of one of the countless remakes (maybe the 1955 version).

If this were true, you'd find a mention of it on the internet, believe me. He's probably just thinking of one of the countless remakes (maybe the 1955 version).

That's what I said, but he assured me it wasn't a remake.

Was it the same title? Could it have been a foreign version remake?

- 1947 "Miracle on 34th Street"

- 1955 "The Miracle on 34th Street" TV Version

- 1959 TV Version

- 1973 TV Version

- 1994 Movie Remake

It was released in Sweden on December 15th and France on December 22nd. Released on June 30th, 1948 in Italy and November 12th in Japan. In the UK it was called "The Big Heart", could they have used a different lead actor?

Eh, 1947 was a bit late for the whole alternate foreign version deals though. That was purely an early sound era phenomenon before subtitles and dubbing became the norm, like with the Spanish version of Dracula or some of Maurice Chevalier's movies also being filmed in French.

Anyway, there isn't an alternate 1947 Miracle on 34th Street as far as I know. Plenty of remakes however. The 1955 TV version on the Fox hour has Thomas Mitchell as Kris Kringle, so it might be intriguing to see Uncle Billy as Santa.