TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
The Niggardly King

Your top 10 films of 2008

Valkyrie was a good thriller, but the lack of suspense and the English accents really hurt it.

As Singer said himself, it isn't a documentary. I prefer no attempted accents and good acting over distractingly bad German accents.

I found it distracting that everyone was writing in German, yet speaking refined English. And it also bothered me when they talked about their loyalty to Germany...by speaking English.

I liked the movie, and I understand they weren't going to make a foreign film, but it just bothered me.

Valkyrie was a good thriller, but the lack of suspense and the English accents really hurt it.

As Singer said himself, it isn't a documentary. I prefer no attempted accents and good acting over distractingly bad German accents.

I found it distracting that everyone was writing in German, yet speaking refined English. And it also bothered me when they talked about their loyalty to Germany...by speaking English.

I liked the movie, and I understand they weren't going to make a foreign film, but it just bothered me.

They stayed so close to reality with the events and fictionalized so little that I completely bought into it despite the language. Plus I though the beginning, with Cruise reading German it turning into English, was a nice way of subtly referencing the language issue.

Can't believe you haven't seen those movies yet, Raven.

JCVD was mostly in French, so does that count Byron?

Gran Torino only opened here Friday and the other two are playing at way out of the way theaters.

BTW, Frost/Nixon is definitely on the list.

I liked Frost/Nixon a lot, but the film just felt very dry to me. I didn't have the goosebumps I get when I know I'm seeing a great film.

That said, loved Langella

Langella was amazing, Sheen as well, to a lesser extent.

Revised top 10:

1: The Wrestler

2: The Dark Knight

3: In Bruges

4: Let the Right One In

5: Slumdog Millionaire

6: Wall E

7: Frost/Nixon

8: Gran Torino

9: Doubt

10: Forgetting Sarah Marshall