TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Damaramu

NBA: Is Pushing Stars Over Teams Right?

I agree Cheech. For what he has done, he does deserve the hype and accolades he gets. No question. On the other hand, I can see where people have issues when someone like Mark Jackson (and I swear I heard him say this too) proclaim that right now, he's the second best small forward to ever play the game and other extreme hyperbole. I can see where people can get off-put when people in the industry/NBA go off the deep end with the Lebron love.

Society in general is that way now. We live in an extreme what-have-you-done-for-me-lately culture, and sports is just a part of that. People can't comprehend that what they just saw 10 minutes ago isn't the greatest thing they've ever seen, or that has ever been.

Society in general is that way now. We live in an extreme what-have-you-done-for-me-lately culture, and sports is just a part of that. People can't comprehend that what they just saw 10 minutes ago isn't the greatest thing they've ever seen, or that has ever been.

That's like this doucher I work with.

The night after the OU/KU Big Monday game he was trying to declare it one of the best basketball games he'd ever seen. Mainly because of all the big 3's they kept hitting at the end.

I told him if that's one of the best he's ever seen then he hasn't watched very many basketball games. Hell it's not even the best KU game of the last year.

It strikes me though that all sports push their stars. Even in football they make a big deal out of the stars...such as if it's Adrian Peterson and the Vikings doing battle with Eli Manning and the Giants. It strikes me as something they did ever since free agency was introduced to sports, where a player now spending his whole career with a team is the exception now.

For some reason the Kobe hyping doesn't bother me as much. It's the other Lakers that I hate. I can't stand Walton, Gasol, Farmar or Odom. Kobe really doesn't bother me as much.

How can you hate Lamar Odom?

He got too much hype after his son passed away.

Why do you watch ESPN, Dama? Why do you listen to the hype? Why not just tune it out and try to enjoy the game, instead of not liking someone simply for the fact that he is praised for his basketball ability. A lot of this is your fault, not LeBron's.

Why do you watch ESPN, Dama? Why do you listen to the hype? Why not just tune it out and try to enjoy the game, instead of not liking someone simply for the fact that he is praised for his basketball ability. A lot of this is your fault, not LeBron's.

Because sometimes that's the only way to watch sports. Then while I'm watching one game they start hyping up another involving their lord and savior from the Cavs.

And then there's the guy on my local talk radio station that every other NBA word out of his mouth is Lebron. That bugs me too, but I like the other stuff they talk about so I listen.

I generally avoid the news cycle outside of ESPNews and I'm much better off for it.

Hyping stars doesn't bother me. What does bother me is then said stars differ from the legitimately good players in the league. Joe Mauer, Hanley Ramirez and a few others are all but ignored despite being among the ten best players in the sport.

I generally avoid the news cycle outside of ESPNews and I'm much better off for it.

Hyping stars doesn't bother me. What does bother me is then said stars differ from the legitimately good players in the league. Joe Mauer, Hanley Ramirez and a few others are all but ignored despite being among the ten best players in the sport.

Which isn't the case when it comes to the NBA. All the players getting hyped up are the best players in the world right now.

The only time I watch ESPN is when there's a game on. I haven't watched Sportscenter in years except for when it's on at someone else's house or at a pub. With the internet you can pretty much pick and choose your own media, It's really not that hard to avoid the hype machine.

I take in quite a bit of ESPN daily, but usually restrict it to the following:

ESPNnews during lunch (for an hour or so)

ESPN Radio during commute (1/2 hour or so)

PTI (1/2 hour)

espn.com while I have my coffee (10-15 minutes)

All together, I take in about 2-2.5 hours a day of espn, which is certainly more than I would have guessed. However, I don't feel as bombarded by the hype machine as many of the rest of you do. Maybe the problem isn't the corporation, but how you're taking it in. If you're consuming several hours a day of Sportscenter, Primetime, Baseball Tonight, etc., then yes, you're probably getting overloaded on stories.

Even when I have games on, I'm usually reading or listening to music at the same time. Really, succumbing to hype is probably a result of just consuming too much television.

Now that they have TO's release to work with, ESPN will probably ease up on LeBron at least in the near future.