TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Agent of Oblivion

The Agent of Oblivion question of the day

I'm on 12th Ave, just a couple of blocks from Ritter Park, too.When I move out, the landlord is immediately going to raise the rent to at least $900, I would say. That would be $300 per person for the three bedrooms.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I pay exactly $348 per month for a shitty trailer on a half acre of land in the middle of nowhere, Indiana. With all the utilities, taxes, and other bills, it works out to just under 500 a month.

It's cheap and I own it. Fuck a bunch of landlords. I can trot around the backyard in my underwear, shooting guns and drinking. My neighbors are silent old people on one side, and a hick named Chuck on the other. He's really into revolutionary war re-enactments and rarely mows his lawn. Other than them, the nearest house is a quarter mile away or so. The nearest gas station and grocery store are a couple cigarettes' drive away.

Guest Vitamin X

I want to know more about this rural lifestyle of yours, Agent. What kind of trailer is it? Big doublewide? Bunch of rooms? Do you have running water and heat, or do you have to build a fire to keep warm and get water from the well? Do you own the land you're on? If you do, what do you do with it besides trot around it in your underwear?

I've thought about the rural lifestyle being pretty awesome myself, having thought about living on a farm for a little while just to know what hard work and a tech-less lifestyle would be like for a while. I'm way too much of an urbanite as it stands.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

There's not much to it, really.

The trailer is a dump. It's decades old, and falling to pieces. I'll be building a house soon, or bringing in a modular home at the very least.

Houses in the middle of nowhere have running water. Christ, I'm not in a cave. Living in the country, one has to have a well and a septic tank. These things are expensive, but necessary, given that there isn't water piped in, or sewers going out. To get water from the well, you need a pump and a pressure tank. These things bring water from the well into the house. You may want a water softener. I do not, and as such, my water has particulates, tastes like rust, and turns things orange.

Multiple heating options:

1. Electric

2. Propane

3. Fuel Oil

4. Wood

5. Coal

6. Combinations

The land is mine. I do whatever I want on it! That's the beauty of it. I can plant a garden or raise chickens, drink beer, have a barbecue, shoot guns, dig a hole, mow the lawn (or not), build an aeolian wind harp. Anything.

Farming is vastly different.

Guest Vitamin X

I'm aware farming is vastly different, but all that other stuff is, well, different.

I do like that you have the land to plant gardens and raise chickens. That's most likely what I would be doing with that land. Off the grid living sounds pretty awesome. I want to build a fucking yurt out in the Oregon country.

$1025. Includes taxes and insurance. Four bedroom, two-and-a-half bathrooms, one-car garage. Mortgage is about $770 without the taxes/insurance.

HouseFront.jpg

The land is mine. I do whatever I want on it!

Or so you think. Government is not your friend.

HouseBackPorchView.jpg

backyard.jpg

In the bottom picture, all the weeds/plants to the right have been removed and replaced with grass.

RE the neighborhood. It's right off of a busy state highway, but you don't hear/deal with any of the traffic. Have an old lady living in one house next to me and this family living in the other house next to me that I'm hoping will soon be a victim of the foreclosure fad. House across from me is abandoned. The guy living there died a few decades ago and the person who got the house, a relative, never sold the residence. It has since been invaded by cats. A conservative area (more blue-dog Democrats than anything, which is perfectly acceptable for me) that voted against Governor Swindell in '06 and against President Hussein in '08. Also has the highest rate of gun ownership per capita in Southwestern PA. I'm about 20-25 miles out from the city, so there's a buffer between us and the urban trash.

Oh, yeah. My house after 1/20/09.

sos.jpg

As you can see, we got rid of most of the plants in the front. Or at least the wife did because she hated them. I was indifferent.

Guest Vitamin X

Nice upside down flag. I have a larger one in my living room that was upside down until November 4th, 2008 for about the past few years.

Nice upside down flag. I have a larger one in my living room that was upside down until November 4th, 2008 for about the past few years.

I'm surprised. Not that you actually did what you said you did but rather you didn't burn Old Glory.

And Smitty, my radiant glow is more than enough light; I had the porch light on at night. And the inclement weather took place beforehand; I took it down before a vicious wind storm, even though that flag is built for such things.

Guest Vitamin X

I'm surprised. Not that you actually did what you said you did but rather you didn't burn Old Glory.

What can I say? I had hope.