TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Obi Chris Kenobi

I thought I'd write a book

I thought I'd write a book, been years since I actually wrote any stories, but nows a good a time as any. Recently been reading a few horror/zombie books and feel I can add my own story into the fold - I don't think there's much room for originality in the genre, so I'm not concerned with that. What I will try and do is just make it a good story about survival. I thought I'd make a thread about it and my efforts for those involved - constructive feedback is welcomed.

I haven't written anything yet, as I'm still in the planning stage. This is what I have so far:

Synopsis

The World’s Economy is a mess. High unemployment, repossession of homes creating more homeless people and general unrest between different cultures has started to fray tensions. The government release a ‘controlled’ virus to ‘cull’ and balance society in an attempt to control the high homeless, unemployed and cost of living figures. The virus goes out of control and leads to a Zombie outbreak.

Resource Material

The Zombie Survival Guide – Max Brooks (Book – ISBN: 1400049628)

World War Z – Max Brooks (Book – ISBN: 0307346609)

Jericho – TV Show (TV show around the last strings of society after an Atomic bomb)

Progression:

Outbreak – Slowly but surely the strange events that are reported on the news across the US start to make sense. Increasing daily riots, murders and ‘terror alerts’ are all related; a zombie outbreak. The initial characters come together for their own survival against the Zombie horde.

• Civil Unrest – Stories start to break out about Civil Unrest across North America and some parts of Europe. Riots, protests and increased muggings and murders are reported. Despite their distance they all have one thing in common.

• The First Bitten – The first Zombies start to appear in hospitals and in the alleyways where the homeless dwell.

• The Virus Spreads – The Zombie masses grow and the characters finally come together as a group for survival.

• ZombieTropolis – The group discover Cameron (the B-Movie actor)

• An Evil Worse than Evil – Zombies are one thing, but would you choose to save a human you knew didn’t value other people’s lives? The group come across a known sex offender and argue if they should allow him to join the group or not.

• Waiting for Arrival – The group wait together for rescue.

Survival – The group work together to survive.

• Fight or Flight – The group decide that rescue isn’t coming and that food and supplies are starting to become thin. A decision is made if they should continue to fight waiting for rescue, or flight to find rescue and food.

• The Farm – The group come across a farm with its strange Farmer Owner who doesn’t want to help anyone but himself.

• The Prison – The group need to find safety as the number of Zombies increase. They decide to hold up in a Prison hoping they have some sort of communications to call for help.

Truth Uncovered – People start to find out that the Government created the virus to control the growing population and unrest.

Characters

Jim - Battle ready crazy guy who is convinced that there are riots around the corner. He believes that there will be a clash between the 'welfare state' and the rich as more people become unemployed and their home repossessed. He's not smart or exactly academic, yet he is street wise albeit a bit paranoid. The type of person who would spend his time believing conspiracies and believing the government was out to get him. Possibly did some College but can't remember due to all the partying and drugs.

Cameron – B-Movie actor who, ironically, has starred in some of the most popular cult zombie movies of the 80’s. Hasn’t done much work since then, but still has a strange ‘cult’ following and is a regular at ‘HorrorFests’ and ‘ZombieConventions’. A wise cracking one liner type of guy.

The Family – A family group consisting of a Mother, Father and Son.

British Guy – British guy with a strange sense of humour.

Haven't really started on the characters yet, so they're pretty linear/cliché at the moment. I've mainly been researching and plotting chapter points.

It better be better than World War Z.

Well, it'll be more of a book with character development and investment, rather then just tales and encounters. I didn't like Jericho the TV show, but I did like its concept and some of the ideas it had behind it. So that's the reason Jericho is being used as a resource guide - I can imagine a few of the events will be similar if a Zombie Outbreak happened and humanity was forced into hiding/survival.

What kind of feel are you going for this? deadly serious, funny, etc?

Either way, sounds like a good plan, let us know how it goes

I wrote a shitty zombie script a year or so back....the highlight of it being zombie sex and zombie squirrels...

I wrote a shitty zombie script a year or so back....the highlight of it being zombie sex and zombie squirrels...

haha classic.

Think I'm going down the deadly serious with light relief moments, the more I think about the less I think I'm going to concentrate on the Zombies themselves and the more about the human survival. Obviously though Zombies will feature and will be the ever present/hinted protagonist.

If you have your old script around I'd love to read it, just for the Zombie Squirrels.

haha classic.

Think I'm going down the deadly serious with light relief moments, the more I think about the less I think I'm going to concentrate on the Zombies themselves and the more about the human survival. Obviously though Zombies will feature and will be the ever present/hinted protagonist.

If you have your old script around I'd love to read it, just for the Zombie Squirrels.

haha if i can find a copy...i lost about 5 years worth of stuff when my old computer died....the best part is, the script was actually pretty serious...those zombie squirrels? not to be fucked with

Aye count me in that too. I'd suggest going down the serious route, it annoys me that everyone just uses the genre for comedy now because it's "passe".

Although, I tried to go the serious route with my film but it still comes off as funny due to the nature of the content.

I'm interested in this big time, just read Dead City by Joe McKinney, and dozens of other Zombie books in the last few years.(Cell, Brian Keene's novels, World War Z, etc.) Looks good so far, just so the zombies aren't runners.

updates on this won't be happening on this forum for the time being, sorry folks. Thanks for the interest, if you do want to follow the progress and read the finished book I'm sure you'll know where to find it.