Guest JaKyL25 Posted June 30, 2002 Report Posted June 30, 2002 Oooh, fun. *Using only WWF/WWE matches, as that is what the folder topic is* 1.) Triple H vs. Cactus Jack, Royal Rumble 2000 IMO the best match from the entire timeframe, therefore it has to be here. 2.) Chris Benoit vs. Steve Austin, 5/31/01 Smackdown! 4th best match of 2000, after Austin vs. HHH, Austin/HHH vs. Benoit/Jericho, and Austin/Angle. I can't use the first 2 because of HHH, and I'd rather use this match and Angle/Shane than use Austin/Angle and lose Angle/Shane AND this match. I could replace this with Benoit/Jericho Ladder match, but then I'd lose Jericho/Rock. 3.) Chris Jericho vs. The Rock, Vengeance 2001 Yeah, you heard me right, VENGEANCE, not No Mercy. I liked this one better, although I need to watch them all again. Jericho's best singles match in the timeframe, IMO, with the possible exception of the ladder match vs. Benoit. Rock's best work outside of the Iron Man match and the Austin match at Mania X-7. 4.) Kurt Angle vs. Shane McMahon, King of the Ring 2001 An awesome brawl, and it's like only using one name, since Shane hasn't had any other top-10 worthy matches IMO. The Test match is overrated. 5.) Edge & Christian vs. The Hardy Boyz vs. The Dudley Boyz, Summerslam 2000 TLC 1 remains my favorite of the tag ladder series. I think it has something to do with the "Jeff and D-Von are hanging from the titles!" spot, which got VERY predictable from here on, but this first time it was still fresh and very mark-out inducing. 6.) Dean Malenko vs. Scotty Too Hotty, Backlash 2000 A great match in it's own right, and perfect for a list like this, since neither one of them ever had another great match in the WWF/WWE. Best WWF Light Heavyweight Title match ever. 7.) Owen Hart vs. Ken Shamrock, Summerslam 1998 Thank you whoever first put this on their list, or else I would have forgotten it. Owen's last really good match, and maybe Shamrock's ONLY really good match. 8.) Eddie Guerrero vs. Rob Van Dam, Judgment Day 2002 My favorite of the RVD/Eddie series. The ladder match has too many awkward moments. 9.) Raven vs. Rhyno, Backlash 2001 Easily the best Hardcore title match ever, and both men's WWE peak thus far. 10.) Ric Flair vs. Undertaker, WrestleMania X-8 Quite simply the best match either man has had in the WWE within the timeframe. It was either this, Kane vs. Test, or the Gimmick Battle Royal. I think I made the right choice. So, in summary, the list is: 1.) Triple H vs. Cactus Jack, Rumble 2000 2.) Steve Austin vs. Chris Benoit, 5/31/01 Smackdown! 3.) Rock vs. Chris Jericho, Vengeance 2001 4.) Kurt Angle vs. Shane McMahon, King of the Ring 2001 5.) TLC 1, Summerslam 2000 6.) Dean Malenko vs. Scotty Too Hotty, Backlash 2000 7.) Owen Hart vs. Ken Shamrock, Summerslam 1998 8.) Rob Van Dam vs. Eddie Guerrero, Judgment Day 2002 9.) Raven vs. Rhyno, Backlash 2001 10.) Ric Flair vs. Undertaker, WrestleMania X-8 So, with the exception of trading matches for other matches involving the same workers (Like changing TLC to TLC 2, or Rock/Jericho to another Rock/Jericho, etc.), does anyone see any way to significantly improve my list? [EDIT] Odd thing I noticed in my post, I only used each title once, with the exception of the first two matches being for the WWF Title. It might add another challenge level to say that you can only use each title once, like in the (Insert PPV name here) YOUR WAY threads. If I was gonna do that, I think I'd take out Austin vs. Benoit, Jericho vs. Rock, and Angle vs. Shane, and replace them with Austin vs. Angle from the 1/28/02 Raw in a #1 contender's match, Benoit vs. Jericho from Summerslam 2000 (for no title), and Rock vs. Booker T from Summerslam for the WCW title, just to get Booker on the card. SUCKA! It really hurts the quality of the list though.
Guest TheSmarkzone Posted June 30, 2002 Report Posted June 30, 2002 You used Jeff Hardy twice. ::Christian mode:: DAMMIT! Come on...tag matches don't count.
Guest Kahran Ramsus Posted June 30, 2002 Report Posted June 30, 2002 JaKyL25, instead of Flair/Taker you should have Michaels/Taker from Royal Rumble 1998. That would improve your list.
Guest godthedog Posted June 30, 2002 Report Posted June 30, 2002 JaKyL25, instead of Flair/Taker you should have Michaels/Taker from Royal Rumble 1998. That would improve your list. i disagree. the casket match seems too scattered and never really did anything for me. flair/taker told a nice little story, & flair did an absolutely awesome building himself up as the underdog trying to survive everything taker threw at him & mount a comeback.
Guest TheSmarkzone Posted June 30, 2002 Report Posted June 30, 2002 There is a reason that the only 2 things people remember from the Shawn vs. Taker casket match are Shawn whacking his back on the edge of the casket and Kane setting it on fire.
Guest caboose Posted June 30, 2002 Report Posted June 30, 2002 10) TLC 2 9) Rocky Vs. Triple H SummerSlam 1998 8) Kurt Angle Vs. Rocky No Way Out 2001 7) Rocky Vs. Chris Jericho No Mercy 2001 6) Triple H Vs. Cactus Jack Royal Ruble 2000 5) Rocky Vs. Tripe H Judgement Day 2000 4) Kurt Angle Vs. Austin SummerSlam 2001 3) Rocky Vs. Austin WrestleMania X-7 2) Triple H Vs. Chris Jericho Fully Loaded 2000 1) Austin Vs. Dude Love Unforgiven 1998
Guest bob_barron Posted June 30, 2002 Report Posted June 30, 2002 Uhhh caboose- you're only supposed to use each person once. I liked Flair v. Taker much better than Taker v. HBK. I just caught myself rooting so much for Flair- it told a great story.
Guest LJSexay Posted June 30, 2002 Report Posted June 30, 2002 hmmm...this is hard. Rock/Shamrock/Mankind - Breakdown 98 Gave us a great cage match with each guy pulling out all stops, One of Shamrock's most over moments, and the emergence of the Rock/ Mankind feud Owen vs Bret - wm 10 Best technical match I've ever seen. Austin / HBK - wm14 The match that begins the Attitude era, great match by Austin HHH vs Cactus Jack *not Mankind;)* - nwo 2000 CACTUS JACK~!, solidified HHH's huge push Triangle ladder match - wm 2000 The best of the tlc matches, aside from tlc III IMO Angle vs Jericho vs Benoit - wm2000 *drool* Val Venis vs Dlo - ss 98 Shows how underrated and underappreciated these two are in the ring RVD vs Taker - Vengeance Taker can still hang, and RVD shows us what he's got in the upper tier Raven vs Rhyno - Backlash 2k1 THIS is what a hardcore match should be. Eddy vs Saturn - fully loaded 2000 Great solid match, with Eddy bordering on Amazing, and had great buildup and a finish that pisses you off immensly
Guest caboose Posted June 30, 2002 Report Posted June 30, 2002 Uhhh caboose- you're only supposed to use each person once. I liked Flair v. Taker much better than Taker v. HBK. I just caught myself rooting so much for Flair- it told a great story. Uh my bad, short attention span. Revised List: 10) Foley Vs. Val Venis @ No Mercy 1999 9) Rhyno Vs. Raven @ Backlash 2001 8) Eddie Vs. RVD @ Backlash 2002 7) Shane Vs Vince @ WM X-7 6) HBK Vs. Undertaker @ Royal Rumble 1998 5) Triple H Vs. X-Pac @ Backlash 1999 (I feel so dirty) 4) Dean Malenko Vs. Scotty 2 Hotty Backlash 2000 3) TLC 2 @ SummerSlam 2000 2) Rocky Vs. Jericho @ No Mercy 2001 1) Kurt Angle Vs. Austin SummerSlam 2001
Guest Brian Posted June 30, 2002 Report Posted June 30, 2002 I watched Shane/Angle last night after Confidential and that match is shit. It's not outright bad but there's a ton of resting and outside of the holy shit spots, it's just a lot of going nowhere mat work and weak brawling.
Recommended Posts
Please sign in to comment
You will be able to leave a comment after signing in
Sign In Now