TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest TheSmarkzone

Wrestlers who are NOT future main eventers

Guest MaxPower27

What about Rhyno? He's a sure fire ME guy, and not soon enough, sez I.

Guest BobbyBacklund
as long as Kanyon talks for himself, they won't take him seriously due to Lita making fun of his lisp.

Do you seriously think 95% of the fans actually remember that?

Until I came across your post, I sure as hell didn't...

Kurt Angle, Chris Jericho, and Chris Benoit :)

Guest Vyce

Let me go down the list, using WWE logic, with some of my thoughts.

- Rev. D-Von (DUD)ley: AWFUL singles wrestler. Outside of tag wrestling, he has nothing to offer. He won't main event, but the WWE may give him a midcard push.

- Albert: Will never make it. They keep him around because of the hoss factor. Face it, if he's LUCKY he may be kept in the midcard as a go-to heel.

- Maven: They'll push him just to prove to us that they can create new stars with the "WWE Style". Since he's being raised in the WWE style, I have serious doubts he'll ever develop into even a good worker. If he main events - and that's one huge if - it will be years down the line.

- Kanyon: I can tell - they don't see him as main event material. But he's talented enough that he'll likely have success in the upper mid-card. Kanyon has a lot to offer.

- Spike Dudley: Jobber for life, with occasional midcard push using the same old "underdog" gimmick.

- Scotty 2 Hotty: His best days are behind him. And that ain't saying much. Only reason they keep him is because the marks cheer for the worm.

- Jeff Hardy: Scary thing is, I think they see him as main event material down the line. Personally, I think he'll self-implode long before that. He's not the next HBK, but he'll probably do well for himself. If he doesn't kill himself or permanently burn out.

- Hardcore Holly: They should have fired him already. I doubt he'll even get a midcard push. He's there only because they need him to pad the roster.

- Crash: I'm sure they need him around to job to others.

- Jamie Noble: Never a main eventer, but could do quite well in the WWE. His size is a factor.

- The Hurricane: Over despite the dumb gimmick. I think Helms has a long future in the WWE. I doubt he'll ever wear the world title, but he should have some good success.

- Tajiri: Too small, not enough English. But he's popular, and will likely have a good, long run in the promotion. He needs to be wary, though, lest the "racist-though-we're-not-racist" attitude prevails and he has to become jobber fodder along with Funaki.

- Billy Kidman: Too small for the main event (again, I'm using WWE logic here). But talented and has great fan appeal, so he should do well for himself.

- Test: Possible. He's got friends in high places, and he certainly wouldn't be the least talented big man to get pushed to the top. If they can figure out a formula to get him over, he may have a decent shot.

- Bubba Ray Dudley: Comparing him to Mick Foley is the worst kind of insult to Foley. I think he's hideously untalented, but using WWE logic, he'll probably become an upper mid-carder. But not a main eventer.

- Kane: Kane is their fail-safe. I doubt he'll ever have a sustained run at the top of the heap, but he's just talented and popular enough (with the fans and with management) that he'll probably remain in the midcard for his entire career, and get put into the upper midcard if not the main event when he's needed to fill a void (like he did in 2001). His injury has really hurt him, because with the loss of Austin, he'd likely be main eventing RAW these days, possibly feuding with Lesnar (I have NO doubt they'd sacrifice Kane to get over Brock).

- Bradshaw: Two words: HEEL RUN

Two more words - Never happening. Bradshaw's abysmal midcard push has shown them that he'd never make it in the main event. A sustained spot in the midcard is what I fear. I say, make him retire. He could probably make more on the stock market anyway.

Guest Ravenbomb

Ok, I'll revise.

Kanyon won't get over if he talks for himself because of the lisp. So have Raven be his manager after retirement, which will unfortunately not be too far off, and have Raven talk to him

Guest phoenixrising

Reverend D-Von - Can't see him as a main-eventer, just a guy that someone can get some cheap heat off of by interrupting his sermons.

Albert - He'll be upper midcard at best because his size dictates it in the WWE, but beyond that? I don't think he really has the "it" that main eventers have.

Maven - I can see him main eventing, but farther down the line. If anything, he'll get up there just so the WWE can show that winning Tough Enough means something. He (and the rest of the Tough Enough crew other than Nowinski for that matter) needs to develop a character that can stand alone without using TE as a hitch.

Kanyon - Upper midcard at best, can't really see him in the main. I think whatever chance he had in WWE got killed during the Alliance when Booker awarded him the U.S. Title without actually winning it and then getting squashed along with DDP by the Brothers of Destruction.

Spike - Designated squash victim. He's gone as high as he's going, Spike's job is to make everyone else look good.

Scotty 2 Hotty - Eh. The Worm is over, not him.

Jeff Hardy - Maybe, he's got a pretty solid fan following. The question is what comes first: the main event or the end of his career?

Hardcore Holly - I like the guy, but he isn't going anywhere farther than the IC Title. Or maybe the Tag division, I can dig a Holly/Venis tag team.

Crash - See Spike.

Jamie Noble - Stuck in the cruiser division.

Hurricane - I think he has a really good chance to make it into the main event. The gimmick is goofy, but it is over - and entertaining as well.

Tajiri - I don't think he'll ever main event, but he could be a killer mid-card heel who puts others over.

Billy Kidman - I can see Kidman as a main eventer, but he has to develop his personality more. For now it's fine to just be Kidman, but if he wants to be in the main he needs a personality.

Test - Hell, they've been trying to get him there for three years now. I say he will, if only cause the WWE seems so determined to get him there.

Bubba Ray Dudley - Probably the Dudley with the best shot of main eventing, but I suspect most of his popularity is based on putting people through tables. Seems like he has the charisma to work himself into the main.

Kane - Absolutely. He would be in the main event now if it wasn't for the arm injury. And he was quite over before the injury as well...I'm waiting for him to get back, see if he'll keep the mask or lose it.

Bradshaw - Again, the WWE seems determined to put him in the main. At this point, no - the match vs. Richards (where he pulled out practically every Texas-related item for any kind of reaction and got none) proves it.

Rhyno - Maybe - he has that weird sort of charisma that will get him there.

Big Valbowski - Changing the name alone should boost him higher up the card. I don't know, though - he'll always be linked to the Val Venis gimmick, which was good for a few jokes. He has the size and the charisma though, so I wouldn't be surprised.

Guest TheSmarkzone

OK, maybe I phrased this wrong.

When I said that Kidman could be the next HBK and Bubba Ray could be the next Mick Foley, I didn't mean it literally.

Trust me, I am as big of an HBK mark as you're gonna find, and I know that there will NEVER be another performer like Shawn. Ditto for Mick.

All I'm saying is that they have some very similar qualities and if Shawn and Mick are legends, then these guys should be able to become main eventers even if they are only 1/10th the performers.

Guest GenerationNever

- Rev. D-Von (DUD)ley: Nothing of use. Fire him.

- Albert: Fat, talentless ball of hair. Fire him.

- Maven: Will be pushed, but will never be credible enough to be over.

- Kanyon: I can see him as a future main-eventer. But you know how Vince feels about WCW guys.

- Spike Dudley: Jobber for life, with occasional midcard push using the same old "underdog" gimmick.

- Scotty 2 Hotty: Stupid gimmick, injury, and a comedy wrestler. Fire him.

- Jeff Hardy: Terrible mic skills. Mainly just a bump machine. Has little, if any, real wrestling skills.

- Hardcore Holly: Old, not over, and not very good.

- Crash: Jobber. Of no use to the WWE.

- Jamie Noble: I'm guessing Jim Ross is the one who spells the names in the WWE. Again, his size is a factor.

- The Hurricane: Dumb gimmick, great wrestler. Will probably not main-event due to his size.

- Tajiri: Like it or not, the WWE is somewhat racist. However, the fans do like him and so does Heyman.

- Billy Kidman: The only way the WWE will push him is with the HHH Diet Plan.

- Test: Well, he's friends with Shane, so he isn't going anywhere. He also has the big blonde pretty-boy look the WWE loves. Still more talented than Nash, but doesn't have his charisma.

- Bubba Ray Dudley: Not a good wrestler, not even a good hardcore wrestler. Fire him.

- Kane: Needs a new gimmick. The fans can't take him seriously enough right now.

- Bradshaw: A waste of space. Fire him.

Guest Neil-o-Mac

On the subject of the whole Bubba/Foley thing, Mick himself somewhat jokingly even called Bubba a 'blatant Cactus Jack ripoff' in Foley Is Good (I think it was in the chapter about the Penis Suplex), and then went on to say that Bubba would see that as a compliment, so take that for what you will. Or something.

Guest TheSmarkzone

Alright...I admit it. Bradshaw main eventing is just wishful thinking on my part. But I still think that there's room for another chronically-pissed-off, beer-swilling, hell-raising Texan at the top.

:D

Guest saturnmark4life

I can't see any of the guys we've listed getting there just cos i'm so used to seeing them in a midcard role, but then i didn't think jericho was ready....

Guest Kid Kablam

Let's just remember that we are debating the words of Jim Ross here. I mean, this is the same guy who, for the longest time considered Billy Gunn to be the most talented worker in the WWF. Think about that please. Anyway, the one man who I want pushed (besides my usual suspects) is Kanyon. Hopefully Vince will swallow his pride and push a WCW wrestler. Tajiri is great, but let's face it, WWE is giving us watered down Tajiri. We are getting Tajiri light in that UN-Amstel sorta way. Hopefully he doesn't end up like Taka. I mean, wasn't Taka like a badass heel in Japan?

Guest raptor

This is kind of a pointless thread. I know that a lot of people have probably though of this, but two words:

ROCKY MAIVIA

That should answer this thread's question. You cannot judge someone by how you percieve them now, everyone could surprise you. There are no assured nom-main eventers.

I don't believe there's a way to judge anyone's long term prospects. Who would've thought that The Rock would be one of the all time greats (already)? And as a counterpoint, who would've thought that Barry Windham wouldn't?

Guest RickyChosyu

Look, Bubba is no Mic, and will never get close. His career longevity at this point, as far as meaning something, is half a year, tops. Then he'll be dropped to Velocity, or worse.

They've dropped the ball too many times with Kane to push him. The "Kanenite" promo doesn't do anything for him other than make him a comedy character. Not that there's anything left to get out of the gimick, because it's dead and tired anyway.

Same goes for Venus and Holly - midcarders from '98 that no one cares about anymore.

Kanyon has the ability, and is generally a fresh face who wasn't jobbed out TOO badly as a result of the InVasion, and they're trying to make everyone forget that anyway, so he has a solid chance at making it.

The rest of the guys are Jr.'s, or hosses who's pushes have failed. That sums up their chances of main eventing pretty well, I say.

as long as Kanyon talks for himself, they won't take him seriously due to Lita making fun of his lisp.

This is awesome. I forgot about Lita making fun of somebody else's lisp.

This is awesome. I forgot about Lita making fun of somebody else's lisp.

Was it worse the rithk?

Funny how the guy who started this thread called for a Bradshaw heel turn 2 years in advance, and everybody on the board said it would never work.

To be fair, nobody knew about JBL. They had to revamp his character entirely as well as for him to cut some great / entertaining promos for it to work out. Had Bradshaw turned heel and stayed as Bradshaw, then yeah it wouldn't have worked out.