TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Damaramu

College FB Programs that were once elite.

So I was wanting to talk about College Football teams that were once an elite team and now are in the middle of bottom of the rung.

I was just playing through my NCAA 2005 College Classics and noticed a lot of teams that aren't really good anymore.

So what teams were elite but fell apart and now will never reach the pinnacle again or when do you think they will make it back?

Then I watched this pre-game video they had on Fox Sports Net before the OU/TT game that was playing that NBA on NBC theme only with words!(it was saying "We're the Best" or something. Imagine those words along with the music)and showing clips of OU from the 50's and 80's and I was like "Well now....we have always been an elite program. But we sucked ass in the 90's!"

So my second part is what elite programs hit a major downturn in the past but bounced back.

Like Miami.....have they ever not been good? Because I can't think of a time at the moment.

Miami wasn't that great in the mid 90s due to probation from all of the violations during the Dennis Erickson era. Butch Davis was just able to recruit well and started the big name players from the 2001 team (Dorsey, Shockey, Portis, McKinnie, Reed) early so they gained experience.

Penn State is down now, so whoever is Paterno's successor will be vital to if they can make a return to elite status. Going to the Big Ten really hurt them as Ohio State and Michigan have made inroads to get Pennsylvania recruits, while PSU hasn't done that well in the Midwest at recruiting.

Miami did have a small period after getting hit with some sanctions but they held tough. But you have tons of programs that were once elite and may not get back.

Alabama for one, which is still trying to recover from the sanctions they were hit with.

SMU, no explanation needed.

Nebraska has hit a cold patch.

Notre Dame is slowly pulling out of the muck.

Florida State appears to be headed for the muck.

Every team goes through a period where they aren't among the elite, whether due to a recruiting class not developing or sanctions or injuries. It happens all the time.

Yeah when did this conference shake up come? Because I remember that the Big XII wasn't formed till like what? 95?

Oh Army! Didn't they used to win a lot of national titles and such back in the 40's?

Miami wasn't that great in the mid 90s due to probation from all of the violations during the Dennis Erickson era. Butch Davis was just able to recruit well and started the big name players from the 2001 team (Dorsey, Shockey, Portis, McKinnie, Reed) early so they gained experience.

Penn State is down now, so whoever is Paterno's successor will be vital to if they can make a return to elite status. Going to the Big Ten really hurt them as Ohio State and Michigan have made inroads to get Pennsylvania recruits, while PSU hasn't done that well in the Midwest at recruiting.

Penn State should move OUT of the Big Ten and into the Big East right now. It's an open division that needs rebuilding. Hell, convince Notre Dame to come in with them and the Big East looks 10x better.

Yeah when did this conference shake up come? Because I remember that the Big XII wasn't formed till like what? 95?

Oh Army! Didn't they used to win a lot of national titles and such back in the 40's?

Yeah, Army was once among the elite...before anyone really passed the football. When passing came in, down they went. Hell, Rutgers was among the elite before the pass.

Boston College was getting to the elite but they have stumbled very badly.

Penn State should move OUT of the Big Ten and into the Big East right now. It's an open division that needs rebuilding. Hell, convince Notre Dame to come in with them and the Big East looks 10x better.

That would be idea, but it's doubtful since the school loves being part of the Big Ten's academic image.

It's hard for the service academies to be elite programs now due to the tough recruiting standards and the 6 year commitment to the service.

Penn State should move OUT of the Big Ten and into the Big East right now.

Yeah, then the Big 10 can actually go back to being the Big 10

It's hard for the service academies to be elite programs now due to the tough recruiting standards and the 6 year commitment to the service.

Air Force has been very consistent in the last decade and Navy has climbed back up to a good program again

It's just Army that is down right now

Alabama for one, which is still trying to recover from the sanctions they were hit with.

Near death penalty sanction, along with having to compete in the SEC, is why Bama is in such a cold spell. One big season however will get them back in the mix, due to being such a tradition-rich school.

Nebraska has hit a cold patch.

I still for the life of me can't figure out why Steve Pederson fired Frank Solich after a 10 win season and went with Callahan.

Notre Dame is slowly pulling out of the muck.

They have not been the same since Holtz left. Also very tough to recruit there.

Florida State appears to be headed for the muck.

I truly think Mark Richt leaving hurt FSU a great deal, as Jeff Bowden is a terrible OC, and Chris Rix hasn't helped out either with his play. When Mickey Andrews becomes the HC after Bobby retires, he'll probably sack Jeff Bowden.

Guest GreatOne

Streaking comets is how I would describe the latter three.

It isn't like Georgia Tech's won the ACC lately.

I wouldnt consider Florida State on the downturn. They were in back to back title games only 4 years ago, and they also have been in A BCS bowl almost every year for the last 7 years. Nebraska was stupid to fire Solich. He had a better winning percentage than did Tom Osborne at the same point in his career. He got them albeit controversially to a national title game, which they were just totally dominated by in my opinion one of the top 3 teams of the last 25 years. All the other powerhouses that have fallen off have been due to either NCAA sanctions or admissions issues. SMU would still be decent to this day if they hadnt got the death penalty considering the pipeline of athletic talent that is the state of Texas.

I wouldnt consider Florida State on the downturn. They were in back to back title games only 4 years ago, and they also have been in A BCS bowl almost every year for the last 7 years.

They've been to 7 straight BCS bowls because the ACC has been terrible in the past years. They lost 4 games in 2002 and still won the conference, only to get dominated by Georgia in the Sugar Bowl. Their real run ended after the 2000 Orange Bowl.

This year FSU could easily win the ACC if Miami loses, or even get an at large bid. Hell if they run the table the rest of the season and everyone else loses they could get an Orange Bowl Bid

Doubt it, Virginia is the real deal this year for the ACC. I have a feeling they'll beat FSU next week in Tallahassee and then beat Miami in Charlottesville in November. Wyatt Sexton looked good against UNC, but he's gotta beat a good defense that UVA has Saturday.

Colorado and Georgia Tech shared the national championship in 1990. However, many feel that Georgia Tech alone deserved the national title due to Colorado's Fifth Down win over Missouri and the phantom clipping call that brought back Rocket Ismail's TD return in Colorado's win over Notre Dame in the Orange Bowl.

Washington split the national title with Miami in 1991. Washington was probably the better team that year, and this also led to the bullshit of ESPN putting the 1991 Hurricanes on the 25 greatest teams list this summer.

Colorado and Georgia Tech shared the national championship in 1990. However, many feel that Georgia Tech alone deserved the national title due to Colorado's Fifth Down win over Missouri and the phantom clipping call that brought back Rocket Ismail's TD return in Colorado's win over Notre Dame in the Orange Bowl.

Washington split the national title with Miami in 1991. Washington was probably the better team that year, and this also led to the bullshit of ESPN putting the 1991 Hurricanes on the 25 greatest teams list this summer.

If Washington was better then why did ESPN do it? To try and prove a point or something stupid like that?