TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Masked Man of Mystery

What do you think a church should look like?

Okay, I am, by my own admission, not the most religous person in the world. PArt of the problem is that the higher ups in the Catholic hierarchy closed my church. I loved that little church. It was pretty plain, with stained glass windows andall that, but ntohing too fancy. I've been to a couple other churches in my area and while they're very nice, they seem too fancy(dramatic paintings and really high ceilings with even more art work). FOr those who actually think about this, what do you think a church should look like(or another religous building?)

I always thought it would be cool to see a church that looked like a concert stage, with lots of flashing lights and giant video monitors.

7232.jpg

The real deal believers go to places like this. No air conditiong, a furnace for cold winters, and virtually in the middle of nowhere. Much like the church near my aunt's former house outside of Morehead City, NC. If I went to church, I'd insist on going to a small one, regardless of how far I'd have to drive. Big ones just kinda suck the spirit out of it for me.

Guest SP-1

The biblical example, which is naturally what a Christian community of believers should look to, was an intimate group of believers meeting for worship, prayer, and teaching. Considering alot of this took place in smaller cells and house churches that probably interacted with one another, that's what I tend to think of when I think of the biblical model for a church.

However

I don't think the current American model for a church is wrong in and of itself. But I think alot of American churches have their focus in entirely the wrong place. We've lost alot of intimacy amongst ourselves, mostly because America is a very individualist place when you get down to it. What's interesting is that, within the American Church itself, we're seeing a return to true spiritual fellowship and heartfelt intimacy. My generation seems to be embracing what we once were again, which is exciting to see happen.

The building doesn't really matter. It's the people inside and what they are doing that's most important. While the church comes together to worship and to love and be with one another, we also have a responsibility to take the love and compassion that God pours into us and turn that outward to the communities around us. THAT is what a church should ultimately look like.

Edited by SP-1

Guest SP-1

Personally, I prefer smaller cell churches working with one another. But the mega-church, in and of itself, I don't have a problem with if they're doing what they're supposed to do and not getting self centered.

Guest SP-1
Oh come now.  The Crystal Cathedral isn't self centered.

The Crystal Cathedral?

What is this mythical place, Rant?

Edited by SP-1

Guest SP-1
You know who else talks about smaller cells working in concert towards a common goal.

Meh. It's a good system in theory, regardless of who uses it. Can't blame them for that. Neither group are the first and neither will be the last.

You know who else talks about smaller cells working in concert towards a common goal.

Meh. It's a good system in theory, regardless of who uses it. Can't blame them for that. Neither group are the first and neither will be the last.

(Psst, it was a joke. I wasn't serious.)

Guest SP-1

I know you weren't, Kotz. :)

But there are some on the board that would have probably loved to run with that so I answered it anyway.

Guest SP-1
But what do you think of the Crystal Cathedral?

Off the top of my head?

It looks like one of the biggest wastes of money the modern church has ever committed.

Or maybe there aren't homeless and/or needy people in their city that could have used the cash that went towards one of those unneccessary stories in that building.

St. Paul's is the prettiest I've been in. Here, we have some that I think are honestly converted warehouses with a cross stuck on top. A box with a cross.