TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Giuseppe Zangara

Albums Listened to Today

Guest My Pal, the Tortoise

spiritualized.jpg

Checked this out today. It didn't really work out for me the way I hoped the first time. I loved the first track, and then it all sort of unraveled from there, as I began to find the music intolerably loud and the singer's voice rather dull and tuneless. Maybe it's a grower. Someone was telling me that it's the real #1 of '97, but I got a little overwhelmed with it by about the halfway point.

74100.jpg

First time I've heard this one which is surprising since I've been listening to The Boss on a semi-regular basis for the past two years now. Anywho, this one was on sale for $9 at the friendly, local independent music store so I decided to pick it up. After first listen, I might have to agree with Czechers and say this is Springsteen's best. About 4 of the 7 tracks on here are amazing and every one of them is at least good. Everything after this is just overblown arena rock, albeit pretty damn good overblown arena rock.

Guest My Pal, the Tortoise

The only lapse in quality is "Wild Billy's Circus Story," and that's a very small lapse. Even that has the cool tuba parts. I like that the album is more specific and personal than Born to Run, which seems like it was engineered to be universal, but really, it's the balls-out kitchen sink arrangements that clinch it as my #1. This is where Bruce got it right.

brokensocialscene.jpgh18738k0x9d.jpge59736ulktv.jpg

eMusic offered me 75 downloads in addition to the 30 that come with the basic monthly subscription ($10), so I'm downloading heavily. I probably won't keep it after this month, though.

Also:

g30566zhy8t.jpgh02551gf0qv.jpg

Guest False Alarm!

i48881gjtm0.jpgf59623lsu16.jpgf92087aap9e.jpg

d87745q57t5.jpgh22296qfmrt.jpgd992470s5oe.jpg

Grinderman "Self Titled"

Joy Division "Closer"

The Mars Volta "De-Loused in the Comatorium"

Godspeed You! Black Emperor "F#A#∞"

Mogwai "Mr. Beast"

Jimmy Eat World "Clarity"

Currently

f05440l0pkv.jpg

Mushroomhead – "XX"

Low finally clicked for me last week! It's still no Station to Station, but I atleast like it the best of the Berlin triology now.

Guest Blue Man Czech

ozer.jpg

This is some house music from Istanbul. It's cool to hear modality, unique percussion, and other Near Eastern influences in my electronic music. Turkey is interesting, because it's kind of an anomaly in whichever neighboring region you try to assign it to: it's not quite Europe, it's not quite the Middle East, its people aren't Arabs, and they aren't Indo-Europeans either. As a result, this doesn't sound like much of anything I've ever heard before. Anyway, I'm about a fourth of the way through and I like it, but I think posts like this one are what people at the other board extrapolate into representing my entire posting style and musical tastes, and that's why they make fun of me.

ozer.jpg

This is some house music from Istanbul. It's cool to hear modality, unique percussion, and other Near Eastern influences in my electronic music. Turkey is interesting, because it's kind of an anomaly in whichever neighboring region you try to assign it to: it's not quite Europe, it's not quite the Middle East, its people aren't Arabs, and they aren't Indo-Europeans either. As a result, this doesn't sound like much of anything I've ever heard before. Anyway, I'm about a fourth of the way through and I like it, but I think posts like this one are what people at the other board extrapolate into representing my entire posting style and musical tastes, and that's why they make fun of me.

It's a good thing you added that last sentence before I got a chance to.

jennie-bomb.jpgairbourne-running-wild.jpg200px-Adele2.jpg

carnival_of_carnage_b00000a6k8.jpgmalenko.jpgdisco_wraith.jpg

Sahara Hotnights - Jennie's Bomb

Airbourne - Runnin' Wild

Adele - 19

Insane Clown Posse - Carnival of Carnage

Insane Clown Posse - The Great Milenko

Insane Clown Posse - The Wraith of Shangr-La

Guest Blue Man Czech

Haha, you listened to the Insane Clown Posse. Donate your organs early.

Hey, I listened to that Zappa pair today too.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

noise.jpg

That's for gary's noise post up there.

In a similar vein:

6572_2.jpg

Einsturzende Neubauten-Strategies Against Architecture II

I really liked this. It's spotty, but what experimental projects aren't? The highs overshadow the lows. "Vanadium I Ching" is a good eardrum bleeder.

Haha, you listened to the Insane Clown Posse. Donate your organs early.

Meh, I kinda like 'em.

Guest Blue Man Czech

Tell me this: did you grow up in an abusive household? The ICP fans I knew got routine shitkickings from their Irish Catholic alcoholic father. Maybe if they didn't get their asses kicked so much, they just would've been really into U2. If your upbringing involved physically abusive parents, which led you down the wayward path of being accepted by other misfits who cultivated a lifestyle out of repulsively terrible music, you have my sympathy with a slight dash of empathy.