TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ragingfear79

Wii

DVD playback didn't cause PS2 to break, Sony's poor design and manufacturing did. Same thing happened with the first Playstation.

Guest Princess Leena

Playing DVD's supposedly burns the laser faster than games, as they're harder to read. But for most people, the CD laser is what dies first.

Because of Sony's poor manufacturing. A competent company shouldn't have a problem with DVD playback in a console.

Guest Princess Leena

Sony is very competent. They saved money by putting cheap parts in their product. Stupid people would buy another PS2 when product broke. PS2 still remains the most popular console.

And your PS2 has never had any problems playing DVD's? You're quite lucky.

Yeah, from having worked at customer service at Best Buy, I do have a feeling of how fortunate I've been with my PS2. Seriously, I know people who have their's for years with no problems, and then I see large amounts of people bringing back defective PS2's and XBox's. My last week at customer service, I had to replace about half a dozen 360's.

I got my PS2 the 2nd or 3rd week they were out. I had actually intended to sell it on EBay before Christmas but just ended up keeping it, even though I didn't have anything but shitty Summoner to play for a few months. I've never had it die on me. Used it all the time for a DVD player, too. Of course, over the past three or four years, I've only played games pretty sparingly, so maybe I'm not giving it the sort of workout that can kill it.

I haven't actually cared about videogames in a while but might get a Wii, just because...I dunno. I want to play me some Zelda. Maybe a cheap Gamecube's a better solution for that.

Sony is very competent. They saved money by putting cheap parts in their product. Stupid people would buy another PS2 when product broke. PS2 still remains the most popular console.

They would have been #1 if every system worked, they just wouldn't have been hit with a lawsuit.

The faulty hardware cost them all the lawyer fees and the settlement. I doubt they made much money by selling defective systems.

Edit: Also remember PS2 was sold at a lose. Sony wants people to buy a PS2 then a bunch of games and accesories. Selling the same person two systems doesn't do them much good. By the time PS2 was cheap to manufacture they had acknowledged the defective systems by fixing them for free.

Guest Hotbutter Spoontoaster
"Plentiful" stock promised for November 19th.

The US launch of the Nintendo Wii will boast one million units, according to Ron Bertram, vice president and general manager for Nintendo of Canada.

"We're looking at a million for North America at launch," he said, speaking to MacKenzie Financial.

"If we get what we're supposed to get, this will be our most plentiful launch in the 15 years I've been at Nintendo."

"All signs are extremely positive", he added.

The confident statement from Bertram echoes UK general manager David Yarnton's belief in a strong launch for the Wii in Europe, who stated last week that he expected to see "more stock than we've ever had."

The Wii will launch in America on November 19th priced USD$249.99 and in Europe on December 8th priced EUR249 (GBP179).

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=19896

Which is weird, because my local FYE said they had already taken all their pre-orders.

Free Opera for all!

Oslo, Norway - September 26, 2006

Opera Software today announced details on its browser for Nintendo’s soon-to-be released game console, Wii. Opera’s full Web browser is available for download from the "Wii Shop Channel". Nintendo has stated that they will offer Opera free of charge as a temporary promotion for all Wii users until June 2007.

From July 2007, users can purchase the Opera browser using Wii points. Wii points are credits users can buy that allow them to add new games or the Opera browser to their Wii consoles. The number of Wii points required to purchase Opera has not yet been announced.

With support for Flash and AJAX-based content such as Google maps, Wii users will benefit from a feature-rich Internet experience that is uniquely customized for the Wii. Opera for Wii boasts the same complete standards support as the Opera 9 Desktop browser, and includes the added functionality of "Zoom" and "Bookmarks". The Wii remote control will also be an integral part of browsing, allowing users to intuitively control the Web with their Wii remotes.

Nintendo has previously announced that Wii will be available in the U.S. on November 19, 2006, Japan on December 2, 2006, and in Europe on December 8, 2006. The cost for the console is $249.99 or 25,000 Yen.

Can you guys guess which part of this cover has me the most excited?

redsteel20060926031145442yu0.jpg

Guest Princess Leena

I'm not seeing anything about a keyboard. Which makes Opera useless. Playing on the web with just my XBox controller is not fun.

I don't really care all that much about it either, if I really want to get online I'll get on my PC. Still, if it's free, I'll download it and maybe make use of it somehow.

Guest Princess Leena

There's really no use for it, though. Unless there's a way to download updates, saves, etc... to your memory card. Like the Dreamcast did.

For the first time ever Toys "R" Us has placed a video game console on their "hot toy" list for the holiday season and it's the Wii.

But before the fanboys launch the ballistics at Toys "R" Us, their PR department thought ahead and came up with this soothing response, "The PlayStation 3 is really geared to a savvy gaming enthusiast," said Kathleen Waugh, a spokeswoman for Toys "R" Us, of the decision to add the Wii to the list. "The Wii system appeals to young kids as well as adults."

Even more soothing is the reason Toys "R" Us placed the Wii on their list is because they know they will have "sufficient stock" of the Wii for the holiday season. So there, Toys "R" Us doesn't hate the PlayStation 3, they're just saying that they'll at least have Wii's in stock this holiday season.

That's the game I'll probably be picking up at launch, that or Metal Slug Anthology.

Epyx announced Commodore 64 will be added to Wii's Virtual Console, the first batch of Commodore 64 titles for Wii will be Impossible Mission 1 & 2, Winter Games, Summer Games 1 & 2, Pitstop and Jumpman Junior.

I'm very tempted to buy a Wii at launch now. The only thing that worries me is the bullshit with defective models at launch. Maybe I'll wait a couple weeks and see how it pans out. It also depends on whether games like Marvel: Ultimate Alliance and Zelda will be playable in the standard way, in case the "Wii way" sucks. Does anyone actually know if games will give players the option?

I thought I read awhile ago you could use your GC controller for the Wii one. Maybe that was wrong or things changed. Either way I do know that I read a review stating not to worry about the Wiimote.

Most of what I've read states that the Wii controls for Zelda are at the very least as solid as the normal way, and many say that it's even better. Only time will tell though, but I'd bet my money on it working out just fine.

Also, don't worry about defective models at launch. I can't remember Nintendo ever having any sort of problem like that with any of their systems.

This is a pretty cool read:

http://tech.yahoo.com/blog/samiljan/13

Hands-on with Nintendo Wii

Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:06PM EDT

Nintendo of America recently unveiled the essential details on its goofily-named next-generation Wii (pronounced "We").The console will be available November 19th in the U.S., with a price tag of $249. This includes two controllers (the wireless Wii remote and the wired Nunchuck), and the five-in-one Wii Sports title. The Company also unveiled Wii Channels (essentially, the system's interface, which also incorporates some cool entertainment features) and two other first-party titles available at launch (The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess and Excite Truck). At the launch in New York last week, I was able to get a few hours of hands-on time with previously unseen game levels, new titles, and, of course, the hardware.

What I liked

Innovative controllers: What seemed goofy at first turns out to be pretty ingenious. In the Wii Sports Boxing game, for example, you use the Nunchuk and the Wireless Controller (one in each hand) to punch at the screen, making the whole experience more realistic. It's also nifty in a game like Zelda, where the Nunchuk in the left hand moves the character around, while the Controller in the right serves as a sword controller.

Pick up and play: Many of the Wii titles on display were of the no-previous-experience-necessary puzzle (Wario Ware:Smooth Moves, Big Brain Academy) variety. And the motions you make using the controllers on Wii Sports so mimic the actual sports (you literally swing the controller like a tennis racket) that even "uncoordinated" types who have grade-school-gym-class-enforced familiarity with, say, baseball, would be able to pick up and play. Even well-established franchises such as Madden NFL 07 offer user-friendly tutorials for the uninitiated. Lapsed gamers intimidated by complicated Xbox 360 controllers may flock to the Wii.

Cool interface: I liked the Wii Channels, particularly the appropriately named Mii Channel that lets you create a cartoonish avatar of yourself. Like a version of you if you were a Gorillaz band member, this character can then be inserted into any number of games, including Wii Sports and Wario Ware. With more than six pages of facial hair (two alone for eyebrows) and other physical attributes, this feature is a personalization freak's dream.

What I didn't like

HD or not HD: I couldn't find anyone at Nintendo to give me a straight answer on whether games would be in 480p (same quality as DVDs) or 720p (HD-quality). The component video output—there's no state-of-the-art HDMI—indicates it could go either way. 480p would be nice to view pictures and videos stored on an SD card (which is what is offered on the Wii Photo Channel). And though games might look nice on a TV up to, say 50 inches, Wii titles might suffer if projected onto a wall in 100 inches or on a fat 65-inch rear-projection set.

Thin launch lineup: Nintendo announced more than 40 first- and third-party titles due out by March 31st, but it was not specific about exactly how many titles would be out at launch. If it's games you want, you're better off with an Xbox 360.

Boy, do my arms hurt: Whether "casting" a fishing rod to catch virtual bass in Zelda or tossing a bowling ball in Wii Sports, I nearly dislocated my shoulder using the wireless controller. Shoulder pain may be the gamers' new carpal tunnel syndrome as far as Wii's motion-based gameplay is concerned.

Bottom Line (for now)

At $250, the Wii isn't cheap, but it's still a bargain compared to the $599 PlayStation 3 and the $399 Xbox 360 Premium system. And unlike Sony, which is only making 400,000 PS3s available at launch, Nintendo says it will ship four million Wii units by December 31st. So it's likely you'll actually be able to get one. But it's also likely that you'll be just as able to get an Xbox 360 with its more than 100 available titles by year's end. For now, only one thing's for sure: Until Sony gives us a compelling reason to buy the PS3 beyond it being an incredibly affordable Blu-ray disc player, either of these other choices is a winner.

Most of what I've read states that the Wii controls for Zelda are at the very least as solid as the normal way, and many say that it's even better. Only time will tell though, but I'd bet my money on it working out just fine.

Also, don't worry about defective models at launch. I can't remember Nintendo ever having any sort of problem like that with any of their systems.

The NES had a known issue with the cart slots (and the whole design is pretty poorly thought out).

Gamecubes sometimes suffer from their own DRE problems.

Some of the DSes had a problem with the hinges where they were susceptible to hairline cracks, Nintendo offered to fix any of them for free.

Every portable system suffers from occasional runs of dead pixels, but I haven't heard much about the DS, or if there are any, there's been no gripes about Nintendo not fixing them.

But regardless, it's going to have a 1 year warranty, not this "90 days" bullshit Sony and MS do for a system 2-3 times the cost.

I've been gaming since before the NES, and I've never once ever heard of any sort of mass problems for any Nintendo systems. Sure, there will be a few problems here just like there will be for any product of any kind. I'm talking about the huge problems that people like to mention when it comes to the PS2, Xbox, and Xbox 360.

The only problem that I could even mention is the whole "blowing into the game" deal with the NES, but that's understandable all things considered.

Just sayin' of course, I'm sure some had problems, but it isn't really anything worth mentioning since it's very isolated and not anywhere near the problems of other systems. The bottom line is that Nintendo produces some damn fine high quality hardware.

And yeah, like you said, Nintendo is also quick to fix a problem whenever one might come up. Perhaps that's because it doesn't happen very often? :P

The only problem that I could even mention is the whole "blowing into the game" deal with the NES, but that's understandable all things considered.

Um, no that isn't "understandable". It was poor design.

A big reason Nintendo has such a good track record is that their systems use carts.

Well the whole slot-loading design was basically necessitated by a market which (retailers thought) didn't want a machine which looked like a video game system. But still, it was tremendous fun renting a game and then having to blow in the freakin' system for an hour to get it to work. That shit can suck it.