TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ragingfear79

Wii

Guest Hotbutter Spoontoaster

I asked about preorders at FYE and Gamestop today. FYE said they had already taken all their preorders until after Christmas, which seemed weird. Gamestop said they were starting preorders next week for the Wii console itself, and have already started taking preorders for Wii games.

I sincerely hope that isn't true, that is the stupidest mistake they could have made considering this system is supposed to reach out to non-gamers.

"Hey guys, I know, let's put our system demo kiosks in only one specialty game shop!"

"Promote that man."

Unfortunally, and as much as it pains me to say this because I don't like shopping at Gamestop....along with the cluttered ass stores they have, Gamestop is really the number 1 game shop in America. Even though Gamecrazy's are popping up more in towns, Gamestop is a much bigger name than Gamecrazy is. And I think the reason why EB most likely won't get the Wii demo in their stores is because Gamestop has no problem making EB look worse than the Gamestop stores.

Now about Red Steel, I think I want to rent that one before I buy it. It just doesn't really stand out to me all that much. Besides I will have Zelda, Gears of War, and Smackdown vs Raw 2007 to play, I don't need anymore games, I really don't.

Well, the whole point is that the Wii demo kiosks, if anything, should be in the big department stores where non-gamers are more likely to see it and experience it. It doesn't matter how big Gamestop is as a chain, non-gamers are still not going to go into it.

http://onnintendo.com/Index.aspx?page=1&am...06&month=10

It was recently discovered that Nintendo is ramping up production of the Wii. This news reaffirms that 4 million Wiis will be available for purchase throughout 2006, if not more.

Nintendo built 2 million Wii consoles in the third quarter according to UBS's semiconductor analyst Alex Guana. In a note to clients on Thursday, Guana also stated that 7 to 9 million are expected to be built in the fourth quarter of 2006, putting the firm ahead of its 6 million unit production goal.

This is bad news for Sony, which will only be producing 500,000 units for its next-gen launch, and good news us.

Nintendo will outsell Xbox 360 year's worth of 6 million units sold, in like, six months.

Consider me a Wii early adopter, but I fear there's a lot of misconception about the Wii. While everyone seems to brush off the "updated Gamecube" stuff as Sony Crab-boy propaganda, Nintendo basically admits it's true. Plus, it's not like the games are just going to be "a bit less pretty" on Wii.

For example: Assassin's Creed.

We're looking at a 1st gen PS3 title, a 2nd gen 360 title, and no-way-in-hell-ever Wii title. The game simply can't be done unless you make the crowds a bunch of mindless drones. That would gut the game and ruin everything the creators imagined from the beginning. However, this being Ubi, there could be such an interation in the works (see the rumored launch list indicating Wii and PSP versions).

Call of Duty Twii seems to be suffering from similar problems. Now Nintendo could be lying and the Wii really is a Trojan horse with some amazing, magical horsepower--but that's very unlikely.

In 4 months I suspect a lot of the Wii bandwagon jumpers will be disappointed, with expectations far beyond what they'll actually get. Nintendo hasn't positioned the Wii to be any more than it is; an alternative to the current gaming scene, not necessarily a replacement.

I'll be honest--not having Assassin's Creed as launch is going to be really annoying for me. However, until the PS3 doesn't cost and arm and a leg, and until MS makes a machine I have enough confidence in that I expect it to still be running for a long time, Wii it is for me. I'll be able to make much more informed buying system and enjoy the hell out of my Wii/DS/PS2 for quite a while.

Nintendo will outsell Xbox 360 year's worth of 6 million units sold, in like, six months.

Not a chance. Just because they make that many doesn't mean they'll sell them. It and PS3 might catch up fast but not that fast. There's no way it will sell a million a month.

It took the 360 seven months to sell 5 million consoles worldwide, which is an average of 715000 consoles per month. Wii is way cheaper, it'll do it.

Uh...the article says that the NINTENDO games will be $50. Same as the first party 360 games. Don't get yourself worked up over that.

Every game for the Wii is listed at $49.99 or less.

Guest Princess Leena

I wish Nintendo wouldn't screw around with the date.

But, the sooner, the better, I guess.

A sooner release works for me. Though I'm considering picking one up in Tokyo when I am there in November. They're actually getting colour selection, whereas we're only getting white, correct?

After EB/GameStop starting preorders on the PS3 today, word is Wii preorders will start by Friday, this week, possibly even tomorrow. I think it's $50 down.

Uh...the article says that the NINTENDO games will be $50. Same as the first party 360 games. Don't get yourself worked up over that.

Every game for the Wii is listed at $49.99 or less.

not so fast my friend!

Some games are listed at 49.99... but EBgames.com is showing a lot of other games at the 59.99 price range as well.

Guest Princess Leena

ebgames.com often puts the prices higher than they should be before they start selling them.

From 1up:

And the disappointing GameCube news? Nintendo has decided that the GameCube version of The Legend of Zelda: The Twilight Princess will only be sold at Nintendo's own online store, presumably wanting to avoid confusion in stores. The game hasn't officially been declared as the last ever GameCube title, but it certainly looks that way, with Nintendo's newer titles all jumping ship to the Wii.

From gonintendo.com:

● Miyamoto has just announced “Health Pack” (code name) for Wii (related to Family Health Check)

● A new cooking guide titled “DS Menu Collection” (similar to cooking Navi) for DS announced, and will have 1000 built-in recipes The new cooking game has a magnet stand so you can put your DS on your fridge while you cook. Magnet stand costs 1200yen. It’s also Wi-Fi compatible. No idea what for yet.

● Wii-Experience videos (New videos at us.wii.com - we posted on this earlier)

● From Next Spring, “Wii Compact Software” will be sold… presumably, these are downloadable games (i.e., no disc or manual).

● 18 Wii games for Japan in 2006

● The plan is similar to DS strategy

● Big Brain Academy for 2007 Spring

● Around 60 Virtual Console games before the end of 2006, including PCE and MD.

● Zelda: Twilight Princess for Gamecube will be sold online only in Japan.

● Wii points Prepaid card

● Wii points Prepaid card 1000 (1000 yen) - 1000 Wii points

● Wii points Prepaid card 3000 (3000 yen) - 3000 Wii points

● Wii points Prepaid card 5000 (5000 yen) - 5000 Wii points (if you buy the 5000 point card, you get a Virtual Console controller free)

● Power brick 3,000 Yen

●Composite 1,000 Yen

● S-Video 2,500 Yen

● D terminal 2,500 Yen

● Component 2,500 Yen

● 512MB SD 3,800 Yen

● Wired LAN Adapter 2,800 Yen

● Wii points Prepaid card 5000 (5000 yen) - 5000 Wii points (if you buy the 5000 point card, you get a Virtual Console controller free)

Is that the same thing as the "classic" or "shell" controller? If they bring that deal to America, I might have to take advantage of it.

Cool, thanks. I don't have a Gamecube or controllers anymore, so I'm gonna need one of those if I want to play SSB Brawl.

In 4 months I suspect a lot of the Wii bandwagon jumpers will be disappointed, with expectations far beyond what they'll actually get. Nintendo hasn't positioned the Wii to be any more than it is; an alternative to the current gaming scene, not necessarily a replacement.

It's Virtual Boy without the helmet and headaches. I am really surprised that Nintendo hasn't made some kind of bundle with Mario DDR, Track & Field II, Donkey Konga, Guitar Hero, to further push the idea of game interactivity or try to push the concept that the Wii promotes exercise instead of mindless violence in games.

It's Virtual Boy without the helmet and headaches.

You couldn't possibly be more wrong.

Virtual Boy was rushed through development and thrown onto a market that was hostile from the moment the concept was first made known. It was also incredibly impractical, ridiculous, and potentially hazardous to most peoples' health.

By that statement don't think I'm down on the Wii; I just have certain expectations that are a bit more realistic than many other folks'.

I guess we can assume that online-only thing for Twilight Princess is staying for Japan? There are still tons of Americans who have GC Twilight Princess preorders down.

EDIT: Oh yeah--all reports so far only mention Japan.

NOA: Wii Demo Units Not Just at GameStop

Despite report to the contrary, GameStop will not be the only retailer to get playable Wii demo units before the launch of the new console.

Nintendo of America finally got back to me today on the issue:

"Playable Wii setups will be available at a variety of retail outlets. We expect that anyone who wants to try Wii will be able to through multiple different methods. In addition to retail outlets, Wii will be playable at a number of mall tours throughout the country, the nationwide Nintendo Fusion Tour and other grass-roots consumer events."

After a bit more badgering on my part, Nintendo clarified that retailers will either receive a traditional pre-built, self-contained interactive kiosk with a TV, Wii and controllers or just the Wii and controllers, which they will then need to set up themselves with their own television.

GameStop once more proves that they are the kings of hyperbole.

Brian Crecente, kotaku.com