TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
SuperJerk

The OAO 2006 US Elections Thread

(Yeah, I know there's already a Lieberman thread, but the election is bigger than just him.)

The election is little more than a month away.

What's at stake:

33 Senate seats and control of the Senate

435 House seats and control of the House

36 governorships

Democrats want this election to be a referendum on the currently unpopular Pres. Bush.

Republican want everyone to forget they're Republicans and vote for them anyways.

Voting is Nov. 7th.

http://www.nytimes.com/ref/washington/2006ELECTIONGUIDE.html

Also at stake, the presidential aspirations of numerous incumbent senators and governors who might run for President if they do well enough, including this dipshit:

Virginia's Allen denies using racial slur in college

RICHMOND, Virginia (AP) -- Sen. George Allen on Monday denounced as "ludicrously false" claims from a former college football teammate that he frequently used a racial slur to refer to African-Americans.

Dr. Ken Shelton, now a radiologist in Hendersonville, North Carolina, also alleges that Allen, a former University of Virginia quarterback, once stuffed the severed head of a deer into a black household's oversized mail box.

In an Associated Press interview Monday, Allen vehemently denied the allegations Shelton made in an article published Sunday in the online magazine Salon.com and an AP interview Sunday night. His campaign released statements from four other ex-teammates defending Allen and rejecting Shelton's claims.

"The story and his comments and assertions in there are completely false," Allen said during an interview with AP reporters and editors. "I don't remember ever using that word and it is absolutely false that that was ever part of my vocabulary."

The Republican has been mentioned as a possible presidential candidate in 2008, but questions about racial insensitivity have dogged him throughout his re-election bid against Democrat Jim Webb. Allen's use of the word "macaca" in referring to a Webb campaign volunteer of Indian descent in August prompted an outcry. The word denotes a genus of monkeys and, in some cultures, is considered an ethnic slur, but the senator insists he did not know that and had simply made the word up.

Shelton, a tight end and wide receiver for the Cavaliers in the early 1970s, said Allen used the N-word only around white teammates.

Shelton said the incident with the deer occurred during their college days when he, Allen and another teammate who has since died were hunting on property the third man's family owned.

Shelton said Allen asked the other teammate where black families lived in the area, then stuffed a female deer's head into the mail box of one of the homes.

"George insisted on taking the severed head, and I was a little shocked by that," Shelton said.

"This was just after the movie "The Godfather" came out with the severed horse's head in the bed," Shelton told the AP.

Doug Jones, who said he roomed with Shelton at Virginia, said in a statement that he never saw or heard anything from Allen that supports Shelton's claims.

"I never heard George Allen use any racially disparaging word nor did I ever witness or hear about him acting in a racially insensitive manner," Jones said.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/09/25/vir...e.ap/index.html

I wouldn't give this story much credibility except there are, of course, also multiple instances of Allen making pro-Confederate statements, posing with the Confederate flag, and hanging a lynching noose in his office.

This'll be my second time voting against Ted Kennedy. I know it's a futile gesture, but I get all tingly when I do it anyway.

Thankfully, the horrible Ruth Ann Minner is BARRED from running again in the Governor race here in Delaware.

My guess is Carney wins it since it's extremely unlikely the Democrats don't take the win. The Republicans had the EXACT same numbers (128,436) of voters in back to back elections, which is kinda fishy but no one seems to care since they lost. They are severely outnumbered and the Democrats will get a boast now that Minner is gone. I doubt the Republicans run Lee again, mainly because he's a scumbag who makes Indy voters run the other direction. And Delaware has got a lot more Indy voters thanks to the Democrats in this state just not putting in a ounce of effort anymore. The Republicans have no clue what the hell they plan to do so another lay up for the D. At this time, no Independent candiate for Governor.

Carper will beat Ting easily even though Ting really isn't that bad of a guy, but he's a republican and he's Asian so he's done here. Carper's not bad though, so it works out just fine. There is an Independent running named William Morris but I've got no info on the guy, haven't heard a word about him other than he's a Libertarian and that's about it. The only way Ting wins is if he goes after the illegal immigration problem in Delaware. If he hits that hard and Carper just kinda dances, it's possible Ting might be able to mount some kind of offensive. Course it's also possible I could win the lottery and thats how much of a chance Ting has.

I'll repeat what someone said in another thread (I think it was Invader3K):

If the Democrats can't win this election, they might as well give up.

The Congress has record low approval ratings, support for the Republican agenda has evaporated, reports continue to surface reinforcing the idea that the Iraq War (an issue they're actually trying to campaign on) was a horrible idea, the Majority Leader resigned because of corruption charges, and the Speaker is about to resign because he helped cover up a sex scandal.

This will be my first time voting. As a democrat, I feel like this is a very important election. If that crazy white woman Katheren Harris wins, You might as well kill the deomcrat party here in florida. And i'm shocked Charlie Crist might get elected. Rumor has it he's gay. I thought that was a no no to Republicans?

I really don't see Harris winning at all. Nelson's keeping his spot.

The governor's race is a different story. I was hoping Rod Smith would get the nomination because he'd almost be a surefire win. With Davis I'm not so sure.

Bush's radio address was about how wonderful No Child Left Behind has been. Sure, the idea that federal funding for education should be dependent of student progress is a fine one. However the law falls apart when you take into consideration the ridicules and convoluted way that annual yearly progress is measured:

-kids are compared against last year's kids of that grade instead measuring the same kids over time

-Sp. Ed. kids (including the moderately mentally retarded) are counted as not just a seperate sub-group while being counted with the general population, which is also a sub-group (???)

-writing tests are often used to measure reading comprehension

-each state decides for itself what constitutes levels of proficiency

The Congress we elect next month will be in office when this law is up for reauthorization next year.

We need to elect some people who can see through the law's slogans and make the law's method of measuring progress logical.

Schwarzenegger, Angelides spar in only planned debate

POSTED: 2:51 a.m. EDT, October 8, 2006

Adjust font size:

SACRAMENTO, California (AP) -- Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger and Democratic state Treasurer Phil Angelides sparred over the direction of the state's economy Saturday in their only debate planned for the gubernatorial campaign.

In a series of sharp exchanges, Schwarzenegger and Angelides differed over higher education fees, taxes and the state of the middle class.

Angelides said fees at the California State University and University of California systems have risen by thousands of dollars under Schwarzenegger, a Republican. Schwarzenegger noted that college fees rose dramatically under his predecessor, former Democratic Gov. Gray Davis, and that he has capped them this year.

He also attacked Angelides as wanting to raise billions in taxes if he is elected Nov. 7.

"I can tell by the joy I see in your eyes that you love to raise taxes," the governor said to Angelides. "Why don't you just say right now, 'I love increasing your taxes."'

Angelides said his plan was to raise taxes on the wealthy and close corporate tax loopholes, in part to help California balance its budget and fully fund education.

"Who can you trust to do the right thing by middle-class families in this state?" Angelides said.

Angelides contrasted the California in which he grew up with the one he sees now, where middle-class families struggle to pay health care, college and other costs. He vowed to provide "a different vision" from Schwarzenegger and "put the government back on the side of working people."

The governor noted the difference between California's economic situation today and three years ago, when Davis was ousted amid a record budget deficit.

Schwarzenegger said he has worked to reduce the deficit, strengthen the state's credit rating, improve the business climate and "make us shine again."

The debate, coming on the third anniversary of the historic recall election that swept Schwarzenegger into office, provided the campaign's first direct exchange between Schwarzenegger and Angelides, allowing a format in which the candidates could question each other. Those exchanges provided periodic fireworks.

After Angelides spoke on array of issues -- against the Iraq war, accusing Schwarzenegger of failing to secure sufficient homeland security funding, criticizing the governor for plans to overhaul state pensions -- Schwarzenegger shot back with a family reference.

"I feel a little bit like I'm having dinner with Uncle Teddy at Thanksgiving," the governor quipped, referring to Sen. Ted Kennedy, the uncle of his wife, Maria Shriver.

"He's a great man," Angelides shot back. "If my grandmother could hear me being compared to a Kennedy...."

The candidates did not differ sharply on immigration, with both calling for some kind of path to citizenship for illegal immigrants who already are in the United States.

Angelides rejected the idea of a fence along the border, instead saying he would lobby the Bush administration to provide more border guards. Schwarzenegger said the country needed a way for companies to "legally hire people from outside the United States."

The state treasurer has been the underdog since emerging from a bruising Democratic primary fight against state Controller Steve Westly. The race drained his campaign funds.

He has battled ever since to redefine himself, in part by trying to fashion himself as a champion of the middle class.

Schwarzenegger spent much of September highlighting bipartisan agreements with bill signings throughout the state. He has also shown a huge fundraising advantage.

Recent polls have given Schwarzenegger leads of 10 and 17 percentage points.

The debate at Sacramento State University was sponsored by the California Broadcasters Association

credit: http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/10/08/cal...e.ap/index.html

More George Allen fun...

AP: Allen Didn't Disclose Stock Options

Sunday October 8, 1:26 pm ET

By Sharon Theimer and Bob Lewis, Associated Press Writers

AP Enterprise: GOP Sen. George Allen Didn't Disclose Stock Options From Corporate Board

RICHMOND, Va. (AP) -- For the past five years, Sen. George Allen, has failed to tell Congress about stock options he got for his work as a director of a high-tech company. The Virginia Republican also asked the Army to help another business that gave him similar options.

Congressional rules require senators to disclose to the Senate all deferred compensation, such as stock options. The rules also urge senators to avoid taking any official action that could benefit them financially or appear to do so.

Those requirements exist so the public can police lawmakers for possible conflicts of interest, especially involving companies with government business that lawmakers can influence.

Allen's stock options date to the period from January 1998 to January 2001 when Allen was between political jobs and had plunged into the corporate world.

An Associated Press review of Allen's financial dealings from that era found that the senator:

--Did not have to look far to find corporate suitors, joining three Virginia high-tech companies he assisted as governor. Allen served on boards of directors for Xybernaut and Commonwealth Biotechnologies and advised a third company called Com-Net Ericsson, all government contractors.

--Twice failed to promptly alert the Securities and Exchange Commission of insider stock transactions as a Xybernaut and Commonwealth director. The SEC requires timely notification and can fine those who file late.

--Kept stock options provided to him for serving as a director of Xybernaut and Commonwealth, but steered other compensation from his board service to his law firm.

Allen, a potential 2008 presidential candidate, rose to prominence as a conservative from Virginia, serving in the U.S. House and as governor. From 1998 through 2000, he worked as a private lawyer and businessman before joining the Senate in 2001.

He now faces a tough re-election campaign against Democrat Jim Webb.

In interviews, Allen and his staff sought to play down his corporate dealings, saying they were a good learning experience but did not lead to extraordinary riches -- except for a quarter-million-dollar windfall from Com-Net Ericsson stock.

Allen's office said he sold his Xybernaut stock at a loss and has not cashed in his Commonwealth options because they cost more than the stock is now worth. The senator also said he saw no conflict going to work for companies shortly after assisting them as governor.

"I actually got no money out of Xybernaut. I got paid in stock options which were worthless. Commonwealth Biotech asked me to be on their board. Glad to do it. I learned a lot on their board and enjoyed working with 'em, and they seem to be doing all right, I guess," Allen said.

THE DISCLOSURE ISSUE

Allen's office said he did not report his Commonwealth options on his past five Senate disclosure reports because their purchase price was higher than the current market value. Allen viewed them as worthless and believed in "good faith" he did not have to report them, aides said.

Allen disclosed the options once -- on an amendment to his 2000 ethics report filed three months after the normal filing period ended. He excluded the options from subsequent reports.

When AP showed Allen's lawyer the Senate ethics manual requirement that such options must be reported each year regardless of value, the lawyer said he was unfamiliar with that provision. Allen has now asked the Senate ethics committee for an opinion on whether he should have disclosed them.

"While we continue to believe that we have disclosed more than is required, we will abide by the formal ruling of the committee," Allen spokesman John Reid said.

The disclosure requirements exist so the public can watch for potential conflicts of interest, and Allen had an obligation to report his Commonwealth stock options to Congress, two ethics experts said.

"As an ethical matter, it's irrelevant whether the exercise price of those stock options is above or below the current market price of the stock," said Kathleen Clark, a Washington University of St. Louis law professor, former prosecutor and former Democratic congressional aide.

"If he owns stock options, he does have such a financial stake, whether the exercise price is above or below current market value."

Lawyer Marc Elias, who represents Democrats in ethics cases, said the conflict issue is even clearer because Commonwealth gets federal contracts.

"Unlike some other controversies that have come up from time to time, this is a situation where the underlying asset is in a company that has business before Congress," Elias said.

Commonwealth granted Allen options on 15,000 shares of company stock at $7.50 a share in May 1999, company chief executive Robert Harris said.

The company's stock has a history of wild fluctuations, typically rising after new government contracts. It hit $9 to $10 a share the month after Allen left the board. It has been closer to $2 recently.

Commonwealth usually gives departing directors just 90 days to exercise stock options, but Allen's were extended until as late as May 2009 because he was entering public service, Harris said.

When Allen left for the Senate, Commonwealth made clear it hoped he would help the company in his new job. "We, of course, wish him much success in Washington and look forward to his pro-business agenda reaping benefits for CBI, the commonwealth and the nation," company chairman Richard Freer said.

HELP FOR XYBERNAUT

Both Commonwealth and Xybernaut have suffered through difficult times and federal contracts have been an important financial lifeline in recent years.

Allen's office acknowledges he has met socially over the years with company executives and his office has granted "routine courtesy meetings" from company lobbyists "to hear their opinion on legislation and issues before the federal government."

Reid said he is aware of only one time that Allen's office helped any of his former companies. That came in December 2001 when Allen asked the Army to resolve a lingering issue with Xybernaut. The company asked Allen to intervene, and he urged the Army to give Xybernaut an answer, Reid said.

At the time, Allen still owned options to buy 110,000 shares of Xybernaut stock, which could be affected by any new federal contracts.

The Army answered but did not give Xybernaut what it wanted, and Allen did nothing more, Reid said. The office declined to release the correspondence, saying constituent letters are confidential.

Allen himself said he could not recall helping, and only met former company associates socially. "Whether I see a former -- whatever the question is -- personally at some social event or political event over the years, so what?" Allen asked.

Xybernaut declined comment.

ALLEN ASSISTED COMPANIES AS GOVERNOR

As Virginia's governor, Allen took representatives of Xybernaut and Ericsson on trade missions. He helped steer $4 million in tax-exempt bonds to Commonwealth for new headquarters and announced an $800,000 state grant to help Lynchburg, Va., prepare a site for an Ericsson expansion.

Then he went to work for those companies.

Allen joined Commonwealth's board of directors about two months after leaving the governor's office in January 1998. Xybernaut named him a director that August, and he became a Com-Net Ericsson adviser in February 2000.

"He was an ex-governor and pre-senator," Commonwealth's Harris said. "He represented a skill set that was of value to the company in terms of his corporate legal experience and he was, and is, a high-profile person prominent in Virginia and elsewhere."

The three companies have had starkly different fates in recent years.

Com-Net Ericsson became part of Tyco after Allen left the board, and got a new management team.

Commonwealth reported its first full year of profitability in 2005.

Xybernaut, which makes a computer people can wear on their heads, sought bankruptcy protection last year and is being sued by shareholders. The SEC also is investigating the company.

Allen's office said he had no knowledge of any wrongdoing at Xybernaut. The senator sold his Xybernaut stock at a modest loss in 2005.

BELATED FILINGS TO REGULATORS

At least twice during his corporate service, companies told the SEC that Allen had failed to promptly file required reports on insider stock transactions.

In March 1999, Commonwealth reported to the SEC that Allen failed to "timely file" a report showing an initial statement of beneficial ownership in the company and a single acquisition of stock. The transactions were subsequently reported, it said.

In April 2000, Xybernaut told the SEC that Allen and all but one of his fellow directors failed to file statements of beneficial ownership in a timely way.

The SEC makes it the responsibility of directors, not their companies, to file insider stock notifications. Those who file them late can face civil penalties.

Allen's office said he considered it the companies' responsibility to file the reports and the SEC never contacted him or took action against him.

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/061008/allen_in_business.html

"He's a great man," Angelides shot back. "If my grandmother could hear me being compared to a Kennedy...."

Yep, nothing like being compared to booze sucking Ted. It's not like he just compared you to JFK man. Ted Kennedy and great should never be together in the same sentence. Unless it's, "Wow, that Ted Kennedy can sure drink a great deal of alcohol without passing out."

it may all be based on the fact that up until now, The Republicans have done a piss-poor job on most fronts, if not all.. and people are upset about that.

So the logic would go, why not give the other side a chance?

it may all be based on the fact that up until now, The Republicans have done a piss-poor job on most fronts, if not all.. and people are upset about that.

So the logic would go, why not give the other side a chance?

Logic and politics seldom go together.

Democrats really need to make this an election about Bush.

In Missouri, our incumbent senator voted on the president's side 94% of the time, according to Sunday's debate on "Meet the Press." That fact show be in every single one of his opponent's TV ads, but it isn't. I swear, no one in the Democratic Party has any fucking clue how to compete anymore.

You think Talent's gonna end up winning?

I saw them debate on MTP Sunday and wasn't terribly impressed by either, but McCaskill seemed better than Talent (of course, I'm extremely biased). Hasn't that race had a big focus on stem cells?