TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RepoMan

Ted Stevens it trouble

In honors of his raid, here's Ted's greatest hits:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=URYNnF5mz84

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-Sg1DinsJ5M

Wikipedia:

When he is discussing issues that are especially important to him (such as opening up the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge to oil drilling), Stevens wears a necktie with The Incredible Hulk on it to show his seriousness.[43] Marvel Comics has sent him free Hulk paraphernalia and thrown a Hulk party for him.[44]

In May 2006, the Senate Majority Project, a partisan political organization, nominated Stevens as "Drama Queen of the US Senate" for his "entertaining tactics".[45]

Jury finds Stevens guilty on corruption charges

• Stevens guilty on all seven counts, could face up to 35 years in prison
  • Jury sends note that indictment doesn't match some evidence
  • Judge replaces juror who left Washington after her father died last week
  • Deliberations began Wednesday in the trial of Sen. Ted Stevens of Alaska

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/10/27/ste...rors/index.html

What are the chances that the Alaskans will re-elect him anyways, knowing that Palin will probably just appoint herself to the vacant seat after the sentencing?

A juror who vanished during Alaska Sen. Ted Stevens' corruption trial told the judge Monday she lied about her father dying and flew to California to see horse races.

U.S. District Judge Emmet Sullivan ordered Marian Hinnant, identified as juror No. 4, to return to court to explain why she disappeared during jury deliberations.

Hinnant, 52, brought a stack of handwritten notes with her to the court on Monday along with public defender A.J. Kramer, and told the judge that her father hadn't died and she was at the Breeders' Cup in Arcadia, California.

She apologized for lying, and then started a long rambling story about horses, which included references to horse breeding, the Breeders' Cup, drugs, President Ford's son Steven and her condo in Florida being bugged.

"I am thoroughly convinced you would not have been able to continue to deliberate," Sullivan interrupted.

"Can I have a case of my own?" Hinnant asked. Sullivan referred her to Kramer and the federal public defender's office, and excused her from his courtroom.

Outside the courthouse, Hinnant refused to answer questions about whether she was on medication or had been hospitalized.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/11/03/steven...ref=mpstoryview

Crazy people are hillarious.

I'm loving the fact that Stevens is currently ahead in this race because it was my "upset" pick in my election 2008 pool. Never underestimate the support of a guy who brings load of pork to his state.

Because Alaskans favor smaller government.

I hope I'm wrong about this, but what will probably happen is he'll get re-elected, resign, then Palin will appoint herself senator. And what definitely won't happen is that his Democratic challenger will emerge victorious. I'd bet money on this, but only because I'd rather give up the small sum of cash and have the country be better off than be right about this.

But if Stevens resigns doesn't there have to be a special election for his seat? Also, can Palin really appoint herself? That would seem really odd to me.

A governor, in this case Sarah Palin, can appoint who ever they want until a special election is held, and that election might not be for another 2 years.

There would be a special election, but depending on state law, those usually don't happen until the next congressional election. For example, when Sen. Frank Murkowski was elected governor of Alaska in 2002, he appointed his daughter Lisa Murkowski to replace him in the U.S. Senate, and didn't face election until 2004, when she was elected to a full term. In Missouri, the then-acting governor appointed Jean Carnahan to serve in the U.S. Senate when her late husband, Gov. Mel Carnahan, was elected to the Senate in 2000. She served until 2002 when a special election was held, and Jim Talent was elected served the remainder of the unexpired term until the 2006 election.

Guest Smues

Just got back from Nome and now I need to say:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA.

God I love this state.

And I'll admit how wrong I was. I thought Before Steven's conviction that Young had no chance, and Steven's had a good one. Then post conviction I figured Young had no chance and Steven's a very slight one, but he'd likely lose a close race. So while Steven's having the lead at the moment isn't the biggest shock, Don Young's victory is. Over the last two months I have seen a metric fuck ton (and heard on radio) of ads for Young's opponent Berkowitz, and against Don young and saying how corrupt he is. I have seen ONE ad that was pro Don Young, and I've seen it maybe five times. On the Steven's side of things I've seen more against ads then for him, but I did at least see a fair amount of pro steven's ads. The really odd thing about this election was whereas usually both candidates have ads attacking the other guy, I did not see or hear one ad attacking Berkowitz or Begich. Very odd.

Oh, and while I don't know what happens if Stevens goes to jail, I'm a bit puzzled by people thinking Palin would appoint herself. It's much more likely that she would appoint her Lt. Governor Sean Parnell.

2 points:

1) Alaska law requires a special election to be held for a vacant Senate seat within 90 days of the seat being vacated, though the Governor can appoint an interim Senator until the seat is filled.

2) There is no federal statute against Ted Stevens running again in the special election even if he is kicked out of the Senate instead of resigning, as that is a state law issue and I haven't heard what Alaska law is on that scenario.

Just got back from Nome and now I need to say:Oh, and while I don't know what happens if Stevens goes to jail, I'm a bit puzzled by people thinking Palin would appoint herself. It's much more likely that she would appoint her Lt. Governor Sean Parnell.

U.S. Senators have higher national profiles than governors do. Senators are consulted in presidential appointments, the passage of treaties, and can get intrecately involved in foreign relations. They get to hold hearings on an assortment of national issues. Each Senator has equal voting power, so it doesn't matter if you are from a big state or a small state. Senators also don't have term limits like most governors do.

I was wrong about the succession of Palin to the Senate. Apparently people in Alaska got REALLY PISSED that Murkowski appointed his daughter in 2002, and several laws and initiatives were passed since then to keep a governor from having broad senate appointment powers.

http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/11/13/pa...cement-depends/

From huffingtonpost.com:

Alaska-based GOP pollster David Dittman, who worked for Sen. Ted Stevens during this year's primary race, believes Democratic challenger Mark Begich is all but certain to expand his current razor-thin lead and snatch the seat.

"I don't think Stevens can come back," Dittman said, noting that he thinks the remaining trove of uncounted ballots will help Begich "increase his lead."

Even if Begich's advantage grows, however, Dittman believes it's highly unlikely that Stevens will concede the race until every last ballot is counted. "He's probably waiting in Washington," Dittman said. "I haven't talked to him since the evening of the election, when I called and just told him I was sorry for the way it turned out."

Dittman believes early and absentee ballots, which comprise the approximately 40,000 votes left to count, will likely reflect Begichs' overall advantage so far among those who took advantage of either process. Heavy early voting occurred in the period that directly followed Stevens' conviction on seven felony counts of making false statements on his Senate financial disclosure forms.

Sen. Ted Stevens, the longest serving Republican in Senate history, narrowly lost his re-election bid Tuesday, marking the downfall of a Washington political power and Alaska icon who couldn't survive a conviction on federal corruption charges. His defeat by Anchorage Mayor Mark Begich moves Senate Democrats within two seats of a filibuster-proof 60-vote majority.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081119/ap_on_el_ge/stevens

I'm too lazy to think of a tacky series of tubes or Incredible Hulk reference to punctuate this news.