TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lord of The Curry

UFC 85 - Bedlam

The only reason this show is on PPV, is because I think UFC is worried that it wouldn't draw on TV. Easier to sweep a bad buyrate under the rug then a bad rating.

I think this will be a good show too, but goddamn if there's no draw on this thing. Matt Hughes would have been able to draw something on his own a few years ago, but he's looked mortal, and his opponent has no aura or build to him. He feels like just a guy, even if he did beat Karo. Not much UFC could have done with all the injuries, but damn.

Vera/Werdum will either be really good or REALLY boring, depending on how they fight. Werdum's capable of good fights, but he does have a boring streak. Vera...I'm not sold on Vera. He's looked good in all his fights outside of Sylvia (hard to look good when a 6'10 guy is just leaning on you though...) but this will be a major test of his overall game. Werdum's no slouch.

It'll be funny as hell if Eddie Sanchez gets past Hardonk, and then wins a few more fights and is in CONTENTION~!

If Gonzaga can effectively implement a leg-kick gameplan against Werdum I see no reason why Vera won't and unlike Gonzaga I expect Vera to stick to that gameplan and not folding like a cheap suit.

Werdum will be the best ground fighter Vera has faced, but he doesn't have the wrestling to put him down and keep him there unless Vera gasses out.

Thiago Alves showed what he was worth by beating the "welterweight gatekeeper Karo Paryisian" according to Dana White.

Can't wait to see what Karo's response is.

Thiago Alves pulled a carano and came in 4 (4!) pounds over.

He immediately joins the Travis Lutter memorial "Guys Who Ruined Their First Main Event Opportunity" of the UFC Hall of Fame.

Well this isn't a title fight but I understand what you're saying, he's had 2 months notice for this fight and still couldn't make the weight. Doesn't show the greatest commitment though if he can't cut down for his first ever main event.

Just like Lutter, it'll be nice to watch him get beat up. Yeah, I'm one of few out there who likes Hughes.

I like Hughes but that man hasn't shown up for a fight since BJ back in '06 and even then he got tooled until BJ seperated a rib. Of course he came back but Hughes hasn't looked like "The Matt of old" in a while. He seems excited about fighting a guy he can actually take down though so I imagine we'll see some Country Boy wrestling come tomorrow night.

4 pounds is a gigantic miss for such a high profile fight. It's almost like he didn't even try to cut. I don't get it.

I'm still rooting for Alves... Even though Hughes will problay win. I'm more interested in Vera Vs. Werdum and Swick Vs. Davis, both those fights I have problems predicting.

Werdum looked mad doughy at the weigh-ins.

Problay extra weight to try to muscle a smaller Vera around... If Vera can keep the fight standing, he'll win, but Werdum is a better grappler then Vera, and Vera is a good grappler.

Holy upsets, Batman...

Burns submits Carneiro in a triangle choke in the 2nd

Wiman KO's Tavares in the 2nd, I knew Wiman stood a good chance against Tavares, eat that Lei Tong...

Fuckin' Miragliotta

Don't care for that stoppage.

Definitely trying to take the "worst ref in MMA crown" away from Mazzagatti. Poor, poor stoppage especially considering there was only twenty seconds left in the round.