TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Vitamin X

Louisiana Needs Money

Guest Vitamin X

Say hello to the rebirth of the Seattle Supersonics and the L.A. Saints?

Official: La. faces Saints, Hornets cash payments

BATON ROUGE, La. (AP)—An executive with the group that oversees the Louisiana Superdome and the New Orleans Arena advised lawmakers Tuesday the state must find $27.5 million next year to fulfill contracts that keep the Saints and Hornets in New Orleans.

The state pays the two pro teams direct cash payments each year to retain the clubs, subsidies the team owners have said are needed to make operating in the relatively small New Orleans market worthwhile.

The money comes from the budget of the Louisiana Stadium and Exposition District, or LSED, which operates the stadium and the arena where the NFL and NBA teams play respectively.

Doug Thornton, senior vice president of SMG—the company that manages the Superdome and the Arena—said the LSED won’t bring in nearly enough for the fiscal year starting July 1 to cover the expected payments.

“We have revenues that are not sufficient to cover the debts,” Thornton told members of the state’s House Appropriations Committee.

If the state doesn’t make the payments to the teams, he noted, the Saints and Hornets could leave New Orleans without a penalty.

But Thornton said the troubled economy would make it difficult for a team to move, and both the Saints and Hornets have expressed a commitment to New Orleans.

“We hope that an eventual solution will address both the short- and long-term challenges that face the Saints and the state,” said Greg Bensel, a spokesman for the Saints.

Link.

They'll pony up the cash, New Orleans needs these two teams. The Saints aren't going anywhere, especially with the team putting in a bid for the 2013 Super Bowl

You mean the Saints are moving to LA, excellent.

In all sincerity, I know the public will be mad that tax money will be used to keep the teams but there are just so many benefits of having a professional team in your city. The Saints have been doing relatively well since Katrina and it really uplifted the city.

I hate it when teams move, but "Saints of Los Angeles" would be pretty cool.

Moving the Hornets to Seattle would look really stupid in retrospect. Instead of just putting Hornets in OKC full time, they move Seattle's team to OKC, and the Hornets to Seattle. What a mess.

Guest Vitamin X
Moving the Hornets to Seattle would look really stupid in retrospect. Instead of just putting Hornets in OKC full time, they move Seattle's team to OKC, and the Hornets to Seattle. What a mess.

This is exactly what I thought, but when you think about it, look at the upgrade the city of Seattle would be getting. I'd be quite happy for them.

Guest Czech please!

It was foolish to force the Hornets back to New Orleans. Lobotomy patients could realize that a 41-date schedule for an NBA team nobody particularly demanded was unsustainable. There have always been more pressing affairs than the New Orleans Hornets, and for the state to keep subsidizing them in the face of the abject poverty and destruction in that region is completely unconscionable. Shame on Bristol and the rest for perpetuating their "rebuilding New Orleans through sports" sensationalism and convincing people to fall for this "New Orleans needs these teams" nonsense. New Orleans needs this team to leave.

Yeah, I agree with you there, Czech RE: The Hornets. Being upset about The Saints is one thing but since when has New Orleans any sort of attachment to The Hornets? I'd be fine with them moving to Seattle.

Guest Czech please!

I don't know about the Saints. I guess they can justify their subsidies, since they appear to be selling out their games and covering of all their luxury boxes. $15 million can do a hell of a lot more for the New Orleans region than making sure the Hornets stay in town, though, absolutely.

The Saints have 8 dates a year that people have to show up and fill the stands in New Orleans. It's much easier to figure out a deal to keep them over the Hornets. The Hornets have never made a lick of sense being in New Orleans, so if they left to become the new Sonics that's fine. Those who care that much about the NBA in the city can follow the Thunder, much like the OK City fans followed the Hornets.