TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Wildbomb 4:20

What Makes You A...

I see the constant in-fighting between conservatives and liberals on this board, and I'm always wondering: what makes people so entrenched in their beliefs? It's one of those questions that has been driving me nuts, especially throughout most of the threads about foreign policy, etc.

So why do you believe what you do?

As stated by my sig, I am a liberal. Vote as a Democrat. I am basically in the camp where tax cuts need to benefit the poor. I am a supporter of a flat tax rate that would make all public universities free. It's done overseas; why not here? I also am sick of the poor truly being shunted aside. The "No Child Left Behind Act" is absolute bullshit; some schools in the city of Boston don't get their 20-year-old textbooks until April. And these kids are supposed to pass a test in order to graduate? Bullshit. Education is a problem.

The economy right now may be gaining on Wall Street, but where are new jobs being created? Wal-Mart?

Foreign policy: Intervene when absolutely necessary. Attempt diplomacy even if it doesn't typically succeed. DECLARE a war, as defined under the Constitution. The UN needs strength; try with all might to receive their approval. If all else fails, act against the UN. Try to keep old allies without creating new enemies. The old "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" line of thought doesn't work.

Sure. some of my policies may not be entirely leftist, but that's why I'm a Democrat.

And if you say you're an independent, please don't give the retarded "Democrats and Republicans are the same," "Dems + Reps sux~". I'm looking for ideas. Hopefully, some intelligent thought will come out of this.

Guest JMA

I'm a liberal Independent. The reason I'm not a member of the Big Two is because I consider them to be no more than clubs. I vote for whoever's political beliefs resemble my own. This has led me to support Democrats and Republicans at different times.

In the long run, I don't consider political parties to be that important.

Guest hunger4unger

I don't vote for any party here in England. Whilst i'm fairly liberal in some of my views (such as war), i'm right wing in others. There isn't a party that represents my beliefs. If I was American I would be voting democrat in 2004 though. God knows what hell Bush will cause if he gets another four years.

I think I am a registered democrat, but only because they were the first registration booth when I walked into the mall.

I consider myself an independent, who often votes liberal.

Guest hunger4unger
if he gets another four years

Hilarious.

LOL, I know. He'll have this one rigged like the last one.

He'll confuse even more far-sighted Jews to vote for Jimmy, instead of Howard, Dean in '04?

Oh yeah, I'm a Republican because I hate the poor, minorities and children. I also want to destroy the ozone, and I love breathing dirty air and drinking polluted water...

Guest MikeSC
He'll confuse even more far-sighted Jews to vote for Jimmy, instead of Howard, Dean in '04?

Oh yeah, I'm a Republican because I hate the poor, minorities and children. I also want to destroy the ozone, and I love breathing dirty air and drinking polluted water...

But you don't love starving the elderly?

And you call yourself a Republican?

Man, you're as Democrat as Dean-o, aren't ya?

ADMIT IT!! :)

-=Mike

If someone wants to get technical: the old thread asked what. This one asks WHY. Minor difference, yes, but one nonetheless. I'm fascinated as to why people think the way they do. It often surprises me how two minds will take the same event, and try to interpret it in different ways. It's just one of the questions that nags me. Oddly enough, I also think it necessary for me to become a halfway decent journalist.

QUOTE (Wildbomb 4:20 @ Dec 20 2003, 01:22 AM)

Oddly enough, I also think it necessary for me to become a halfway decent journalist. 

And maybe someday you will become one.

Sorry, I couldn't resist...

That's what college is for...and shelling close to $120,000 for it