TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Spicy McHaggis

Iraqi Nuclear-Related Materials Have Vanished

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...un_nuclear_dc_2

UN: Iraqi Nuclear-Related Materials Have Vanished

By Irwin Arieff

UNITED NATIONS (Reuters) - Equipment and materials that could be used to make nuclear weapons are disappearing from Iraq (news - web sites) but neither Baghdad nor Washington appears to have noticed, the U.N. nuclear watchdog agency reported on Monday.

Satellite imagery shows that entire buildings in Iraq have been dismantled. They once housed high-precision equipment that could help a government or terror group make nuclear bombs, the International Atomic Energy Agency said in a report to the U.N. Security Council.

Equipment and materials helpful in making bombs also have been removed from open storage areas in Iraq and disappeared without a trace, according to the satellite pictures, IAEA Director-General Mohamed ElBaradei said.

While some military goods that disappeared from Iraq after the March 2003 U.S.-led invasion, including missile engines, later turned up in scrap yards in the Middle East and Europe, none of the equipment or material known to the IAEA as potentially useful in making nuclear bombs has turned up yet, ElBaradei said.

The equipment -- including high-precision milling and turning machines and electron-beam welders -- and materials -- such as high-strength aluminum -- were tagged by the IAEA years ago, as part of the watchdog agency's shutdown of Iraq's nuclear program. U.N. inspectors then monitored the sites until their evacuation from Iraq just before the war.

The United States barred the inspectors' return after the war, preventing the IAEA from keeping tabs on the equipment and materials up to the present day.

Under anti-proliferation agreements, the U.S. occupation authorities who administered Iraq until June, and then the Iraqi interim government that took power at the end of June, would have to inform the IAEA if they moved or exported any of that material or equipment.

But no such reports have been received since the invasion, officials of the watchdog agency said.

The United States also has not publicly commented on earlier U.N. inspectors' reports disclosing the dismantling of a range of key weapons-making sites, raising the question of whether it was unable to monitor the sites.

'WE SIMPLY DON'T KNOW'

In the absence of any U.S. or Iraqi accounting, council diplomats said the satellite images could mean the gear had been moved to new sites inside Iraq or stolen. If stolen, it could end up in the hands of a government or terrorist group seeking nuclear weapons.

"We simply don't know, although we are trying to get the information," said one council diplomat, speaking on condition of anonymity.

U.S. officials had no immediate comment on the report.

President Bush (news - web sites), locked in a tough reelection battle with Senator John Kerry (news - web sites) of Massachusetts, justified the war, in part, by saying that then-Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein (news - web sites) was on the brink of developing a nuclear bomb that he might use against the United States or give to terrorists.

Both men agreed during a Sept. 30 debate that nuclear proliferation is the most serious threat facing the United States.

A new CIA (news - web sites) report last week by chief U.S. weapons investigator Charles Duelfer made clear, however, that Saddam had all but given up on his nuclear program after the first Gulf War (news - web sites) in 1991.

ElBaradei, whose agency dismantled Iraq's nuclear arms program over a decade ago, drew similar conclusions to the Duelfer report well before the March 2003 invasion.

Somewhat alarming. I bolded that one sentence because it's exactly one of the scoffed at reasons for the war.

Guest INXS

So, as well as failing to provide peace and stability, failing to secure borders, failing to provide basic amenities to the people of Iraq, then they fail to secure the little equipment Saddam had that could be used to make nuclear bombs, if in the wrong hands!

And I thought that the quagmire in Iraq couldn't get any worse.

So, as well as failing to provide peace and stability, failing to secure borders, failing to provide basic amenities to the people of Iraq, then they fail to secure the little equipment Saddam had that could be used to make nuclear bombs, if in the wrong hands!

I love it when stupid people use big words to sound smart. Big, broad dumb statements as well. You tell me one country that has had IMMEDIATE stability straight after a war. Germany had no direction after the First war almost right untill Hitler took over. In WWII France had resistance groups fighting the Germans after it was taken by Hitler. And Kudos for using a word that has commonly been tied to Vietnam when you are discussing Iraq.

I agree with Mike here, I though Suddam had nothig realted to WMD's whatsoever, No siree bob

Guest BDC

Y'know, I like how he's making those statements while missing a great many things. I'll confer from a friend of mine that's there RIGHT NOW.

-do they lack amenities. But then again, what has he told me about? Oh yeah. That they are working on the water lines. They have fixed the electricity. After years living under Hussien, these people didn't have running water and aren't used to having indoor facilities, so they make like India and just go where ever outside.

-Peace and stability? Fifteen regions and only one is active? Just checking.

And to drive the point home:

then they fail to secure the little equipment Saddam had that could be used to make nuclear bombs, if in the wrong hands!

But... there were no nuclear materials. That's what you said... Okay, y'know what? That's WHY we wanted to go in and thanks to French and Russia pussyfooting around and delaying, the ABC weapon materials GOT MOVED OUT.

Guest MikeSC

So, you're saying there WAS WMD materials in Iraq?

So, Bush...was right?

-=Mike

Guest Cerebus

If only Bush had given Iran fissle material in order to see if they would have used them for peaceful purposes! :(

Guest MikeSC
If only Bush had given Iran fissle material in order to see if they would have used them for peaceful purposes! :(

Well, we can trust theocracies. They NEVER cause problems.

But, I can't blame Kerry for his policy there. One of his bigger fundraisers is a well-known apologist for the Iranian theocracy.

-=Mike

Guest INXS

So, Bush...was right?

-=Mike

No, there were no WMD materials in Iraq, This equipment that has gone missing is what sounds like COULD be used to make WMD, if someone so desired.

If only Bush had given Iran fissle material in order to see if they would have used them for peaceful purposes!  :(

Well, we can trust theocracies. They NEVER cause problems.

But, I can't blame Kerry for his policy there. One of his bigger fundraisers is a well-known apologist for the Iranian theocracy.

-=Mike

Just like OMGBUSHINBEDWITHOSAMASFAMILYMIKEYMOORESEDSO!~

Guest whitemilesdavis
Germany had no direction after the First war almost right untill Hitler took over.

Well, that's reassuring. Let's hope Iraq recovers as nicely.

So, Bush...was right?

-=Mike

Every major study released disagrees with you.

Guest INXS

I'm willing to bet that these Nuclear related materials will be found in Iran, thus giving the US a reason to invade.

Guest MikeSC

So, Bush...was right?

-=Mike

No, there were no WMD materials in Iraq, This equipment that has gone missing is what sounds like COULD be used to make WMD, if someone so desired.

Which, ya know, is what Bush said. So, according to you, Bush was right.

I'm willing to bet that these Nuclear related materials will be found in Iran, thus giving the US a reason to invade.

I love that you believe that Iraq had them, but still think Bush "lied".

-=Mike

So, Bush...was right?

-=Mike

Which, ya know, is what Bush said. So, according to you, Bush was right.

So why wasn't it mentioned in the offical US investiagtion Mike?

Guest INXS

No Mike, I don't think that Iraq had "them" - read the article "EQUIPMENT AND MATERIAL HELPFUL IN CREATING BOMBS".

We're not talking about Uranium here or an active weapons programme. It's the lab gear he had left over from when he WAS creating WMD, many years ago. Stuff that COULD be used to make a bomb or other WMD's if someone so desired. Saddam's Iraq had no desire to make any such things.

Guest GreatOne

Of course, he's not supposed to HAVE any of that in the first place..............

But hell let the UN worry about it right?

Guest MikeSC
No Mike, I don't think that Iraq had "them" - read the article "EQUIPMENT AND MATERIAL HELPFUL IN CREATING BOMBS".

We're not talking about Uranium here or an active weapons programme. It's the lab gear he had left over from when he WAS creating WMD, many years ago. Stuff that COULD be used to make a bomb or other WMD's if someone so desired. Saddam's Iraq had no desire to make any such things.

You are aware that he was not permitted to possess that under the terms of the ceasefire, right?

-=Mike

Guest INXS

So, in your eyes, the invasion is now justified because some equipment that could be used to create WMD, albeit from years ago and wasn't being used at all, has been found?

Guest MikeSC
So, in your eyes, the invasion is now justified because some equipment that could be used to create WMD, albeit from years ago and wasn't being used at all, has been found?

The invasion was justified on numerous grounds. The equipment is just one of them.

-=Mike