TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

All-Time Draft

Ok guys. I'm looking to run a mock draft, covering every player in baseball history. After the draft, I would input the rosters into OOTP 6, and sim the season. So far I've got eight players from NMB. Anyone interested?

Guest Smell the ratings!!!

my baseball universe ends around 1995, so I'll have to pass.

So you never saw Oddibe McDowell play?

Oddibe "Young Again" McDowell, had a brief stint with the Braves. Back when they sucked, and Skip Caray was the best broadcaster in the business.

If it's free, count me in.

It's free.

So far we've got 12 people signed up, myself included. A few details. The draft will be held offline, likely here. Since its a computer sim league, we do not have a definate time-table we need to adhere to. You can select any MLB franchise for your team name, or a popular AAA (i.e. Durham Bulls) or negro league team. Your team name does not effect your roster in any manner.

Rosters will be 25 man, with probably a 40 man roster to account for injuries. The only positional requirements are that you must field a real team. You can draft 8 outfielders and play Ty Cobb at shortstop if you like, but be prepared to deal with the positional consquences.

What the heck, I'll give it a go. What about negro leaguers?

I would love to open it to all players. However, the problem is that it is much to easy for me to select some obscure negro league player and declare he was on the level of Carl Yastrzemski when I enter his stats. My compromise: Negro League players who are in the Hall of Fame are eligible.

A few guidelines...

1. Each team's roster will consist of 40 players, 25 of whom will consist the active roster. Teams must carry a total of 15 pitchers on their 40 man roster. Otherwise, players can form their teams however they choose, provided they can place a lineup on the field.

2. All players who played at least one game in MLB are eligible. In addition, negro league players inducted to Baseball's Hall of Fame are eligible. Due to a potential conflict of interest when computing negro league rankings, I will not draft those players. Also, keep in mind that I will make adjustments to their raw stats.

a. If you want to be cute and draft Eddie Gaedel, be forewarned. The simulation attaches weights to players who played less than a certain number of at bats in a given season.

b. See below for a list of eligible negro league players.

3. Draft order will be random, and the draft will follow a serpentine format. For the first fifteen rounds, we will select one player at a time. Rounds 16-25 will see two selections at a time, and rounds 26-40 will see three selections at a time. This is necessary to ensure the draft ends this year.

4. Draft order will be determined via a Random Number Generator.

Here is a list of eligible negro league players. Satchel Paige, Monte Irvin, and a handful of others did play in the majors, so be aware of those guys. Bill James included these players in a top 100 list of baseball players he ranked in the New Historical Abstract. He also ran a top ten at each position, and if a player did not make the top 100 overall, his rank among his fellow negro leaguers at his position is listed.

LF Turkey Stearnes (25th)

CF Cool Papa Bell (76th)

CF Oscar Charleston (4th)

3B Ray Dandridge (1st among Negro Leaguers)

P Leon Day

RF Martin Dihigo (95th)

P Bill Foster

P Rube Foster

C Josh Gibson (9th)

3B Judy Johnson (2nd among Negro Leaguers

1B Buck Leonard (65th)

SS Pop Lloyd (27th)

P Bullet Rogan

P Hilton Smith

SS Willie Wells (86th)

P Smokey Joe Williams (52nd)

P Satchel Paige (17th)

If anyone has any questions, or if there is anything I missed, please let me know. We will kick this thing off hopefully on Saturday.

Guest Brian

How are you assessing negro leaguers stats exactly, with weighting their performance and such?