TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
k thx

Preach to me!

I did this last year and got some good reccomenations out of it, so I'll try it again.

Reccommend me some good stuff, I'll d/l it and give feedback.

I Like:

Broken Social Scene (liking the latest album the most)

MF DOOM

The Go! Team

Anthony And The Johnsons

Saul Williams

Rachael Stevens (Hells Yeah)

Bloc Party

I Dislike:

My Chemical Romance

Red Hot Chilli Peppers

Maximo Park

Foo Fighters

Zombie Apocalypse. Chaotic thrash/hardcore from NYC and southern Canada featuring former members of Shai Hulud. Horror-themed, and enough going on in their songs to keep you interested if you can get by the complete anarchy of their sound.

I'll turn you from emo boy.

Go see them live. Everything great about them on record, magnifyed by 100.

Corey's recommendation in this thread is uncannily as clueless as the one from last year's thread.

If you dig on Antony's album, I'd recommend Nico's Chelsea Girl. Similar baroque, moody spirit about it. I'm sure you've heard a few of her songs; "These Days" and "Fairest of the Seasons" are the most likely, especially if you've seen The Royal Tenenbaums.

I haven't heard the new Broken Social Scene yet, but I hear it's more lush/everything but the kitchen sink in terms of its arrangements. I don't know if you've listened to the new Animal Collective, Feels (you mentioned liking them in last year's thread), but it's really busy and might suit you. It's also more energetic than Sung Tongs, so you might get a similar sort of buzz from it that you can get from the first four tracks on the Bloc Party album. For similar reasons, I'm thinking you'd like Wolf Parade as well. The first half of Apologies to the Queen Mary is decent to good; the second half is fan-fucking-tastic and will have you doing cartwheels.

Or maybe I happen to have some small semblance of wit in that I can post a semi-serious hype of a band I listen to constantly to a person and/or group of people whose preferred styles of music I find irritating (and I'm sure his/their feelings are mutual)?

Corey's recommendation in this thread is uncannily as clueless as the one from last year's thread.

If you dig on Antony's album, I'd recommend Nico's Chelsea Girl. Similar baroque, moody spirit about it. I'm sure you've heard a few of her songs; "These Days" and "Fairest of the Seasons" are the most likely, especially if you've seen The Royal Tenenbaums.

I haven't heard the new Broken Social Scene yet, but I hear it's more lush/everything but the kitchen sink in terms of its arrangements. I don't know if you've listened to the new Animal Collective, Feels (you mentioned liking them in last year's thread), but it's really busy and might suit you. It's also more energetic than Sung Tongs, so you might get a similar sort of buzz from it that you can get from the first four tracks on the Bloc Party album. For similar reasons, I'm thinking you'd like Wolf Parade as well. The first half of Apologies to the Queen Mary is decent to good; the second half is fan-fucking-tastic and will have you doing cartwheels.

I have Chelsea Girl. I really like These Days, but Nico annoys me. She was responsible for the worst parts of VU&N, and her singing annoys me. But I'll give it annother go.

I need to get Feels. I keep forgetting.

Wolf Parade will be d/l'd.

I'll also get onto the other albums suggested so far. Any more?

She was responsible for the worst parts of VU&N

Which were still pretty good!

For some reason, I think you'd really like Cibo Matto. d/l Viva La Woman! and if you like that, Stero Type A is pretty good.

I know Cibbo Matto from somewhere, and I can't remember where. I know I've heard one of their songs and I liked it, but not any more than that.

Cibo Matto is really a very odd band. I would hazard to say they're trip-hop, but they're all over the board, and entirely catchy. Much like the Go! team. Their songs are totally disconnected, but still fun. I'd say Le Tigre is close, but though I like Le Tigre, they're not as good. Give Viva La woman! a listen, or at least a d'l.

EDIT: You've probably heard 'Sugar Water' which is an awesome sleazy Portishead track. And has one of the better music vids ever.

Nico sings like she has Down's syndrome

its an accent. you should concentrate on using logic instead of wasting whatever brain capacity you have for humor. you've really hit new lows lately.

She can't sing, mainly.

She can talk sexy, she can look brooding but she's not a good singer.

Personally I can't get into it. She never seems to convey any emotion amd never draws me into a song.

She can't sing, mainly.

Personally I can't get into it. She never seems to convey any emotion amd never draws me into a song.

as far as music goes, you're a lost cause. stick to ashlEE simpson. she'll be a lot easier for you to comprehend.

Nico is crap...but Antony's similar (but operatic) theatrical style is good? Explain this please.

As for why you seem like youre trying to hard - You made a comment that I am 'retarded' for explaining why the term "jamband" is nonsense. That showed you as someone eager to join a group of people with a mindset that one type of music (no matter how erroneously categorized) is equal and inferior. To me that is a sign of boxed-in tastes and that you dont want to be associated with anything that is frowned upon by the indie music community.

Also, I find that your liking of a band like Bloc Party but not a RHCP to be a bit odd. I can only assume that when/if Bloc Party becomes a rock radio staple...you wont like them either.

Nonetheless, I have offered bands/artists (none of which are too mainstream) that may interest you. I also suggest not instantly dismissing any music just because its not underground or considered 'cool' by some indie definition.

She can't sing, mainly.

as far as music goes, you're a lost cause. stick to ashlEE simpson. she'll be a lot easier for you to comprehend.

Musically, I like the Nico stuff. But she's quite blatantly not a great singer. A chanteuse, yes. A singer, no.

Alternatively, explain why Nico is a great singer Bankster.

Nico is crap...but Antony's similar (but operatic) theatrical style is good? Explain this please.

As for why you seem like youre trying to hard - You made a comment that I am 'retarded' for explaining why the term "jamband" is nonsense. That showed you as someone eager to join a group of people with a mindset that one type of music (no matter how erroneously categorized) is equal and inferior. To me that is a sign of boxed-in tastes and that you dont want to be associated with anything that is frowned upon by the indie music community.

Also, I find that your liking of a band like Bloc Party but not a RHCP to be a bit odd. I can only assume that when/if Bloc Party becomes a rock radio staple...you wont like them either.

Nonetheless, I have offered bands/artists (none of which are too mainstream) that may interest you. I also suggest not instantly dismissing any music just because its not underground or considered 'cool' by some indie definition.

Personally, I find Anthony a lot more soulful than Nico. It resonates with me more. Pure prsonal opinion.

As for that jamband stuff, which you are still dragging into numerous threads despite that thread being made last year, I was calling you retarded for being so dumb about people categorising music. Which, irony, is what you've done with me in that last post.

And Bloc Party are way better than Red Hot Chilli Peppers. Again, personal taste, but RHCP are so fucking MOR nowadays, and their funk stuff never interested me that much. Bloc Party are more post-punk, more energetic and emotional and I find them a lot more musically interesting.

As for indie snobbery, that's just a dumb arguement. Is Saul Williams indie cool? If so, should i feel ashamed for liking him? No. The majority of bands I hear about are through indie press, because thet's put me in touch with music I enjoy. Show me where I've dismissed bands out of hand. And try to do it without going back to your favourite thread, if at all possible.

Man, you really are retarded.

Clearly, you will like the music that you are told to like and nothing more. Until you opt to approach music not as an elitist sport but as a matter of personal choice and passion...there is nothing I can offer to you. There are plenty of people like you...indie, metal, hippie, rock radio...whatever youre supposed to like, you will.

Keep trying hard, Im sure someone will find you credible.