TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest DeputyHawk

The one & only War On Terror thread

Guest Vern Gagne
Teddy Kennedy is a gutless drunken piece of crap who lacks any brains that went to his brothers Jack and Robert.

He's also killed someone. Don't give Robert that much credit he turned soft after JFK was shot.

Guest danielisthor

Teddy Kennedy is a gutless drunken piece of crap who lacks any brains that went to his brothers Jack and Robert.

He's also killed someone. Don't give Robert that much credit he turned soft after JFK was shot.

I was debating on whether to mention the whole murder thing or not.

Guest Cancer Marney

A member of the United States Marine Corps died today, a victim of yet another cowardly terrorist attack.

CNN story

From the halls of Montezuma, to the shores of Tripoli

We fight our country's battles in the air, on land, and sea

First to fight for right and freedom, and to keep our honour clean;

We are proud to bear the title of United States Marines.

Our flag's unfurled to every breeze from dawn to setting sun;

We have fought in every clime and place where we could take a gun.

In the snow of far-off northern lands and in sunny tropic scenes;

You will find us always on the job - the United States Marines.

Here's health to you and to our Corps which we are proud to serve;

In many a strife we've fought for life and never lost our nerve.

If the Army and the Navy ever look on Heaven's scenes,

They will find the streets are guarded by United States Marines.

We who must remain will ensure that others like you and your family will not suffer what you and yours did. God bless and keep you: the streets of Heaven are safer now.

Guest Vern Gagne

It shouldn't be a suprise that the two terrorist where from well to do families. All the terrorist attacking the U.S. are a bunch of spoiled rich brats, these aren't poor and uneducated people like some bleeding hearts would want you to believe.

Guest danielisthor

It doesn't piss me off at all, the writer is always able to voice her opinion, The only thing that irks me is the following:

"If we don't spend all that capital on billion dollar warplanes we might [shudder] use it to improve our education."

the writer obviously doesn't understand that we have more than doubled the amount of money into our education system since the early 1980's and grades and test scores have continued to fall.

"Nevermind that alarm bells are ringing that these traits fit the US like OJ's glove. "

Once again the writer misses the fact that the glove didn't fit OJ when asked to put it on. So the writer is completely and totally off base in this assessment.

"Why not just nuke the whole Middle East"

even though the sarcasm reeks in this statement, i agree with it.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I don't know how often anybody looks at this thread anymore, but there's currently a big fucking anti-war protest rally going on in DC right now. I turned it off when some speaker just yelled out "War, What is it good for?" about five times in a row without trying to make a point.

War, what is it good for?

That's easy. It's good for keeping peace when bloodthirsty dictators have control of numerous weapons of mass destruction (I know, overused phrase) and intend to use them even if it means they themselves would be killed in the process.

Can't negotiate with insane people. It's better just to kill them and get it over with.

Guest Vern Gagne

War is a necessity in life.

A soldiers motto is prepare for War...Pray for Peace.

Guest TJH

Saudi Says Will Not Help Any U.S Strike on Iraq

DUBAI (Reuters) - Saudi Arabia, a key U.S. regional ally, said on Sunday it would not allow the United States to use its facilities for any attack against neighboring Iraq even if a strike was sanctioned by the United Nations (news - web sites).

"We will abide by the decision of the United Nations Security Council and we will cooperate with the Security Council. But as to entering the conflict or using facilities... that is something else," Foreign Minister Saud al-Faisal told CNN.

"Our policy is that if the United Nations takes a decision on Chapter 7, it is obligatory on all signatories to cooperate but that is not to the extent of using facilities in the country or the military forces of the country," he added.

Chapter 7 of the U.N. Charter makes it mandatory for U.N. member countries to implement any measure immediately as part of international law.

The prince's remarks were the strongest Saudi rejection of any assistance to a possible U.S. attack on Iraq.

Mary Matalin, counsellor to U.S. Vice-President Dick Cheney (news - web sites), told CNN's "Late Edition" program following Saud's comments that the United States had many other allies it could depend on.

Asked if Saud's comments marked a serious military setback to any U.S.-led effort against Iraq, she said: "We have many friends and allies in the region and we have many friends and allies around the world...We would never engage unless we were sure that we could get the job done well."

White House spokesman Ari Fleischer (news - web sites), speaking to reporters aboard Air Force One as President Bush (news - web sites) flew to Springfield, Illinois on a domestic political trip, said "I don't talk about operational issues or basing issues," and declined further comment.

Prince Saud has in the past indicated the United States could use bases in Saudi Arabia for an attack on Iraq if it was sanctioned by the United Nations. It was not clear what prompted the apparent shift in the Saudi position.

Faced with Saudi Arabia's possible refusal to be a launch pad for strikes on Iraq, the United States has poured $1.4 billion into expanding Qatar's Al Udeid facility into a major air base and military staging ground.

Saud told CNN the kingdom wanted a political resolution to the Iraq crisis and that Baghdad had made a "very clear and unambiguous promise" to Arab states that it would abide by U.N. resolutions. "We think the road is set for that."

Washington wants to end Iraqi President Saddam Hussein (news - web sites)'s rule over his alleged pursuit of weapons of mass destruction and has threatened military action. The United Nations is seeking a resolution to allow U.N. weapons inspectors back into Baghdad after a four-year absence.

Iraq denies U.S. weapons charges and has agreed to the return of arms inspectors.

"Saudi Arabia's position is a position to support the political settlement of this issue because we think it is feasible," Saud said.

GULF BRISTLING

The oil-rich Gulf Arab region is bristling with U.S. troops and weaponry, Saudi Arabia alone has 5,000 U.S. troops, and Washington has said it would require regional military help for any offensive against Iraq.

Riyadh was a launchpad for the U.S.-led 1991 Gulf War (news - web sites) that drove Iraqi troops out of Kuwait after a seven-month occupation.

Washington could launch an attack on Iraq without using bases inside Saudi Arabia but the air campaign would be more difficult if it could not at least use Saudi air space.

The Saudi foreign minister said Saddam's fate should be decided by the Iraqi people and warned against a long-term U.S. military presence in Iraq in the event of an attack against Baghdad. "You can never make a permanent change through occupation by foreign forces," he said.

Saudi Arabia has been a strategic U.S. ally for more than half a century but ties were severely strained by last year's September 11 attacks on the United States, in which 15 of the 19 men believed to be the suicide attackers were Saudis, by a possible U.S. attack on Iraq and by the Middle East conflict.

Washington blames Saudi-born dissident Osama bin Laden (news - web sites) and his al Qaeda group for the hijacked jet attacks on U.S. cities.

Saud said there was no crisis in relations between Washington and the kingdom, which is the largest oil exporter to the United States. "The long-term relations between the two countries remain the same," he said.

Guest DrTom

Fuck 'em.

We should STOP buying oil from that worthless two-faced shithole immediately. Then we should withdraw our military and watch the ruling family get killed in a few days.

First Iraq, then Arabia.

Guest EricMM

I was completely about to post something about this.

I mean, it's one thing if the UN doesn't agree. It's not a GOOD thing, but it's something.

It's another thing entirely if they are going to go against the UN.

Fuck them, god.

I wish to christ that the American leaders would get it through their heads that if they had decided to move away from an oil based economy/society by now, those bastids would have nothing more than a bunch of decayed dinosaurs. Try and eat that... We could tell them to go fuck themselves.

Why would they disagree with the UN, when if they didn't have the UN, they'd totally get conquered by SOMEBODY. If not us, then certainly Russia, China, or somebody. Christ.

Guest Vern Gagne

We should take their fukking Oil. We've protected there asses and they do jackshit for us.

Guest DrTom
if they had decided to move away from an oil based economy/society by now, those bastids would have nothing more than a bunch of decayed dinosaurs. Try and eat that... We could tell them to go fuck themselves.

We could tell them to go fuck themselves right now, Eric, and I think it's past time we did that. Russia and Alberta would love to sell us oil, and since we only get about 10% of our oil from Arabia, anyway, it's not like it's be hard to replace.

I was amused a few months ago when "Prince" Abdullah said the Saudis "wouldn't use oil as a weapon." I'm hoping they do. Go ahead, refuse to sell us oil. We'll see who that little fit of pique works out better for. We'll replace your production, and your people will starve unless you find a way to turn crude oil into a foodstuff. Sounds fine to me.

Guest EricMM

But I think it'd be easier.

Whatever. It's totally wrong for us to forgive the Saudis even tho they supply us with black gold.

They also supply terrorists with money, so I mean, where do we draw the line.

Guest Vern Gagne

An unmanned U.S. plane apparently killed a high ranking Al Qaeda official in Yemen. Naturally people are upset and apalled the U.S. could do something like this. Some Swedish foreign minister called it cruel and inhumane.

I used to think that these countries would become really gung ho about the war on terror if they where attacked, like the U.S. was or more recently in Bali when so many Australians died. But I'm seriously questioning if the thought process in Continental Europe would change that much.

Guest EricMM

If France were the ones attacking, they'd have no problem.

It's not the situation they hate, I think, or at least not totally.

They're pissed off that we can do things they can't maybe.

I mean if he was a terrorist, why the fuck is killing HIM inhumane...

Guest DeputyHawk
Blair to warn of Xmas terror fear

LONDON (Reuters) - The Prime Minister will tell the public later today that it must be extra vigilant as he warns about a possible terror attack in the weeks leading up to Christmas. A spokesman for Blair said he would set out the threat from al Qaeda -- blamed for last year's September 11 attacks in the United States -- in an annual speech at the Guildhall in the City of London on Monday. But he would also caution against handing victory to militants by running scared or bringing the country grinding to a halt. "Terrorists want to damage countries and economies such as ours -- either through actual attacks or fear of attacks," the spokesman told Reuters. "They want to paralyse society and we recognise it is our goal to stop them by thwarting attacks through vigilance as a government, businesses and individuals and ensuring normal life continues." Blair's speech, which will also range over foreign policy, comes days after a government mix-up led to a strong warning of a large-scale terrorism attack being issued -- then withdrawn -- within hours last week. The incident, coupled with a spate of reports about renewed activity by the al-Qaeda network, has added to Briton's unease as tension mounts over Iraq and newspapers talk up the likelihood of an imminent mass deployment of troops. Home Secretary David Blunkett said on Sunday that Britain was "in the front line" because of its strong support for U.S. action against al-Qaeda, suspected of carrying out last year's September 11 attacks. He also warned that no government could provide absolute protection from determined opponents. "We cannot guarantee that we can protect everyone...all the time," Blunkett told BBC Television. Blunkett's remarks, and Blair's planned speech, echo warnings from senior U.S. officials about the continuing threat from al Qaeda. France also moved to warn its citizens on Sunday, saying intelligence reports pointed to France as a favoured target of militant Islamic groups that remained active in Europe.

this news made me feel sad until i read the last sentence.

Guest Vern Gagne

Maybe France would wake up if their country was attacked. Although Germany seems like the country that needs a wake up call.

Guest DeputyHawk

are you saying germany deserves to be the subject of an al-qaeda attack? jesus man! that's racism! i didn't say the french deserved it, just that the possibility of it lifted my downtrodden spirits.

::shakes head::

and just when you thought it couldn't get any funnier...

Iraq to decide on U.N. vote

By Samia Nakhoul BAGHDAD (Reuters) - Iraq's parliament is convening in an emergency session to discuss how to respond to a tough new U.N. resolution calling on Baghdad to disarm or face possible military action. Iraq has until November 15 to agree to a Security Council resolution passed unanimously last Friday demanding Baghdad allow U.N. arms experts unhindered access to sites suspected of producing weapons of mass destruction or face "serious consequences".  

that's certainly going to be a frank & open parliamentary debate. "you? the honorable member with the axe in his head? you don't oppose me? good. death to america!"

Guest Vern Gagne
are you saying germany deserves to be the subject of an al-qaeda attack? jesus man! that's racism! i didn't say the french deserved it, just that the possibility of it lifted my downtrodden spirits.

I had a feeling that is how my quote would be interpreted. My point was Germany and France would be alot more supportive if they where attacked by Al Qaeda.

Guest DeputyHawk

i know that's what you meant vern, i'm just playing.

Iraq's parliament rejects U.N. resolution

By Hassan Hafidh BAGHDAD (Reuters) - Iraq's parliament has snubbed the United Nations -- and particularly the United States - by voting unanimously against cooperating with a Security Council resolution on disarming Baghdad. Deputies railed against the U.S.-drafted resolution as a violation of sovereignty and a pretext for war, but said they were leaving the final decision to President Saddam Hussein.

there'll be no christmas for dakota this year, because mommy's getting fired.

Guest Vern Gagne

So that's how Hussein's playing this one. He would agree to inspectors, but the people of Iraq have spoken.

Guest Julian
WASHINGTON (AP) - President Bush (news - web sites) on Friday appointed former Secretary of State Henry Kissinger to lead an investigation into why the government failed to foil the Sept. 11 attacks, telling the veteran diplomat to "follow all the facts wherever they lead."

Signing a bill he once opposed, Bush told survivors and victims' family members, "We must uncover every detail and learn every lesson" from the terrorist strikes. The bill creates a 10-member independent panel for an 18-month inquiry into the attacks on Washington and New York that killed more than 3,000.

Debate about the commission has been marked by differences between the White House, Democrats and victims' relatives over how far the probe should go and whether Bush himself should testify.

Kissinger's appointment gives the commission instant respectability, and puts a White House ally in charge of an inquiry that has the potential to embarrass Bush.

Kissinger, 79, echoed the president in pledging to "go where the facts lead us." He said he would accept no restrictions.

Later, Democratic congressional leaders named former Senate Majority Leader George Mitchell to be vice chairman of the panel. After leaving the Senate in 1995, Mitchell led the negotiations that produced the landmark Good Friday peace pact of 1998 for Northern Ireland.

The commission will build upon the work of congressional investigators who reported this year that clues to the hijackers' plot were ignored or misunderstood.

Lawmakers have criticized the CIA (news - web sites) for not tracking two al-Qaida operatives it learned of in early 2000. Those operatives were two of the five hijackers on the plane that crashed into the Pentagon (news - web sites).

Congressional investigators also noted poor communication between the FBI (news - web sites) and CIA on terrorism matters, and questioned the State Department on visa programs that allowed all 19 hijackers to enter the country unchallenged.

"This commission will help me and future presidents to understand the methods of America's enemies and the nature of the threats we face," Bush said at a ceremony across the hall from the Oval Office.

The commission has a broad mandate to examine issues such as aviation security and border problems, along with intelligence.

While the president said lessons could be learned from Sept. 11, he seemed to put a greater emphasis on the panel determining methods and motives of terrorists who might strike in the future.

"Our goal is to take every measure that is necessary to gather information that is available and gain every advantage that is possible," Bush said.

Democrats and some family members laid out goals that assume a more critical look at the government's actions before Sept. 11.

Sen. Joseph Lieberman (news, bio, voting record), D-Conn., said the inquiry must study why America's "defenses failed." He added: "Our goal is to know everything we possibly can know about the causes of Sept. 11."

Beverly Eckert, whose husband perished in the World Trade Center attacks, said the government failed to "protect its citizens."

After attending the ceremony, she said Bush and Kissinger seem committed to the inquiry but she'll be "watching closely to make sure they do it right."

It was Bush's third major bill-signing in as many days and served as a holiday send-off for the president. He left afterward to spend the long Thanksgiving weekend at his Crawford, Texas, ranch.

Like the Homeland Security Department, the independent commission was an idea Bush came to support only after intense political pressure.

Kissinger, a pillar of the foreign policy community, was secretary of state and national security adviser for Presidents Nixon and Ford. One of the best-known secretaries of state, he was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 1973 for his efforts to end the Vietnam War — but he also has been strongly criticized by some for his wartime service.

Lieberman, who pushed for the commission over Bush's initial objections, called the appointment a good beginning and said he suspected that Kissinger did not want to end his career on a partisan note.

Kissinger, chairman of an international consulting firm that carries his name, has ties to the Bush family and has provided informal advice to the White House. He donated thousands of dollars to Republican candidates in the last two election cycles, though none to Bush himself.

The president signed the bill one day after the White House said Bush did not envision testifying to the panel, in part because there was no precedent for it.

However, President Reagan testified before a panel he appointed to investigate the Iran-Contra affair and Ford testified before a House subcommittee about his pardoning of Nixon.

Lieberman suggested he would seek Bush's testimony.

"I would be surprised if this commission, in pursuit of the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth so help them God, did not want to speak with this president and high officials in this administration and previous administrations," the Democrat said.

This man shouldn't be heading any inquiry; he should be in jail.

A good guide to why Kissinger is a criminal