TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Stunt Granny

The Name Change

Guest Stunt Granny

We all know why the WWF was forced to change their name last May. But liek everyone else I HATE the name WWE, it's just stupid sounding and having the word "Entertainment" in it's place kills the whole kayfabe thing faster than Tough Enough or Confidential ever could.

But I got to thinking, WWFe was forced to just stop using the "WWF" initials. So why didn't they just start calling themselves the "World Wrestling Federation" and refrain from using the initails. Sure having to keep from using the initails would have been a pain in the ass but everyone would have gotten used to it. It's way better than saying "WWE". The problem the World Wildlife Fund had with WWFe was the use of the initails, not the name. They would have had completely redone thier logo but anything would have been better than the neuterd Attitude scratch logo.

Does anyone know why they chose NOT to do this?

Guest HartFan86

I've said this since the company changed names in May. They have "World Wrestling Federation" copyrighted, but they just want it easier to say "WWE".

Guest redneckBEBE

The old WWF logo is perfectly acceptable. It's the scratch logo that they can no longer use.

Guest kane3212321

In that crappy wrestlings secrets revealed documentry they showed an old woman being pushed over by a wrestler claiming it's a frequently used angle. The announcer then revealed "She's a stunt granny, how's that for piledriving Miss Daisy."

Guest bravesfan
And what the hell does your name mean?!

Since you're a relatively new fan, you've probably never seen the primetime special NBC put on called "The Secrets of Professional Wrestling", or something along these lines.

It was said to "expose the business" by explaining how certain spots were done (blading, dragging an opponent's face across the ropes, headbutts, etc.) but instead added in certain spots/angles that NEVER happened in pro wrestling circles. Most infamous of all, the "stunt granny".

The scene showed a hated heel making his way to the ring before a match, and he sets his sights on a Grandmother (IIRC, set in a wheelchair) who was heckling the heel along with the other fans. The heel took it upon himself to shove the grandmother down with force. This was designed to get "heel heat" for the wrestler.

But NBC noted that the spot was actually....GASP! FAKE! They then showed a backstage segment where the heel wrestler shook hands and hugged the "stunt granny" for going along with the angle.

Hope that clears it up.

Guest redneckBEBE

I got a real, real good laugh when they showed the secrets to executing "devastating finishers" such as the PENDULUM BACKBREAKER and the LEGDROP.

Oh...wait...legdrop...

Guest Choken One

WWE actually sounds fine...Maybe i've just gotten used...It still rolls off the tonuge...

Besides..Why do we have rehash this old topic?

Guest El Satanico

Because nobody here wants to hear the commentators say World Wrestling Federation a thousand times each broadcast.

Besides who cares if it's WWE, WWF or MWF. It's only a name.

The only thing truly bad to come of the agreement is the editing of WWF logos in old videos.

Guest Choken One

Exactly...It gets annoying with the blur...Why not just erase it...It can't be THAT much more expensive then building the Elimination Chamber...

Guest El Satanico

That name is dead.

Besides why would Vince do that when he pisses on the corpse of WCW every chance he gets.

Guest RavishingRickRudo

I can't see why the WWE couldn't just pay/donate (great PR) to the WWFund to allow them to use the logo when using past footage. A grandfather clause of sorts.

Guest El Satanico

Well, I believe Vince could've worked out a new agreement allowing him to keep using WWF. I remember hearing something about him being offered a deal pretrial where he could pay to continue using the name.

Vince: "But I'm Vince McMahon damnit...King kong ain't got nothing on me...those panda fuckers can't take me down...take them to court"

And the rest is history if you weeeiiil

Guest deadbeater

They should have called themselves ECW. That name will never die. Don't tell me you don't get goosebumps when you hear fans chant the name. Besides, ECW wasa lot more than garbage wrestling.

Guest saturnmark4life

WWFE sounds fine to me, I have no idea why they didn't just call themselves that.

Guest Eagan469
WWFE sounds fine to me, I have no idea why they didn't just call themselves that.

I know - wasn't that their stock symbol prior to the name change?

Guest Stunt Granny
Because nobody here wants to hear the commentators say World Wrestling Federation a thousand times each broadcast.

What reason would they have for saying it "thousands of times" as you put it, in each broadcast. I know you were exagerating but really, is it that big of a problem? Listen to a Raw or Smackdown broadcast. How many times do they say the companies name? It's really not many.

I have gotten used to saying WWE but my main problem with it is when it's used in reference to title belts. Kurt Angle is the World Wrestling Entertainment Champion, that just sounds dumb. Angle is the Champion of Entertainment? Sounds quite impressive.

Guest El Satanico

WWFE would've been even worse. What name would it's have with those initials? World Wrestling Federation Entertainment? World Wrestling Federation Enterprises?

WWFE wouldn't be any better than WWE.

Guest Brian

Why not World Wrestling Federation present RAW and SmackDown, and using those two names and having WWFE be a parent name.

Guest RavishingRickRudo

Again, Brand Recognition. Almost everyone knows what the WWF is (world wrestling federation) and they probably know the scratch logo too. This is a very important thing to establish with the consumer and the market. They can't just drastically change their product once they already established it. I mean, Nike changed their slogan from "just do it" to "I Can" and it bombed horribly. Something as simple as that can harm a company in a highly competitive industry (in the WWE's case, the 'entertainment' industry).

Guest The Hollywood Fashion Plate

Oh, and somebody already has the rights to WCWF, I checked.