TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Nanks

Linkin Park: Meteora

Guest CoreyLazarus416

...if you even TRY to cover a Deftones song, you're horrible...

Guest SP-1

So sticking up for a band that you like when it's not publicly accepted is suddenly a written blowjob?

Man, all those "real" underground music fans must get tired from all the written sucking they do.

Guest El Psycho Diablo
So sticking up for a band that you like when it's not publicly accepted is suddenly a written blowjob?

Man, all those "real" underground music fans must get tired from all the written sucking they do.

Shh..you're not supposed to notice the hypocracy.

<internet music smark> After all, everyone knows no mainstream music can be good. </internet music smark>

Guest Edwin MacPhisto

A sidenote, cause I think a few people mentioned Evanescence earlier in the thread: if you want that sort of style (melodic 'metal' with a female vocal), check out The Gathering. "Analog Park" and "Rollercoaster" are good intros. A million times better in a similar vein, from where I sit.

Guest Oaf

I'm sorry, but Linkin Park is just NOT a good band. They are about as talented as Good Charlotte. :throwup:

Guest SP-1

As a note: I primarily like Evanescence because it's pleasing to the ear rock with a Christian influence. But it's also gotten me interested in similar "melodic metal with a female vocal" stuff. Thanks Edwin.

Guest Nanks

So with your first post you shit on one of my favourite bands and a band I just took a shining too. I just saw GC live, and they were really awesome.

Guest Edwin MacPhisto

...I really don't think you want to bring Good Charlotte into this, because that's probably going to get you even more wrath than Linkin Park has.

At present, I do not think there is a more actively idiotic mainstream act than Good Charlotte. I saw the video for "The Anthem" on CTN a couple weeks ago. It made me want to beat the crap out of, like, a dog or something. The "I'm not gonna be like you" thing has been played out for waywayway too long, and rarely been stated with so little subtlety. I don't think I've heard a more boring piece of music in the last year.

Granted, I have never seen them live, and hopefully never will. Unless they suddenly start showing their chops and busting some sick-ass Captain Beefheart or Frank Zappa covers, they will remain perhaps the dullest major act in America today.

Guest El Satanico

ah...geez first "Linkin Park" now Good Charlette? When will this madness end.

Guest snuffbox

Anyone here from Chi-town? Ever heard of Lincoln Towing or whatever in the Lincoln Park area? They are pure evil, the 'lincoln park pirates'. They towed my friends car and we missed the final concert of Relative Ash(A REAL metal band, the singer even has a big boy voice!). Truly the most evil thing in Chicagoland.

But anyway, LP the band is much much worse, and GC is some of their prime competition. Mainstream fake angst. "I dont reallly have any problems, but I sure like to be a little pussy bitch!" ;)

Guest El Satanico

But...but...Good Charlotte is real punk rock...they have spiky mohawks and Anarcy symbol tattoos to prove it.

Having highly produced videos on MTV is their way of putting it to "the man".

Guest Agent of Oblivion
Define musical merit.

A semblance of technical skill, originality, and good songwriting.

Linkin Park has none of these. They sound like a gayer 311.

Guest Nanks

I have to say, I'm not going to be defending Good Charlotte, I never really liked them, but I did enjoy the concert. I will however defend LP. Absolutely EVERYONE seems to cling to this "mainstream fake angst" buzz line. If LP wasn't popular would they be "alternative genuine emotion"?? Which of your cool, non-mainstream, edgy, bands do qualify for this praise??

Guest snuffbox

Any band that doesnt need heaps of production techniques to sound 'tough' or 'edgy'. Its really pathetic that the lil bitch wants to be badass so bad that he ends up sounding like a dying faggot wishing he had emphysema. Some guys have the metal voice, some dont. Chas doesnt so he/the producers tried to fake it. It sounds fake and its obvious.

Fake people = gay people.

The lyrics could have been written by any middle-schooler with a failed crush.

Guest El Psycho Diablo

Does "no metal voice" mean not enough unintelligible screaming?

Guest snuffbox

A pop, i.e. top 40, voice is smooth clean crisp, like Chester of Linkin Park

A rock/metal voice is gravelly and/or deeper, rougher, edgier.

Unitelligible screaming is either a 'style' or a 'perception'

If you cant tell the difference between a metal voice and a pop voice....you are retarded.

Guest Edwin MacPhisto

I think breaking thing down to levels of voice is really silly.

Death metal obviously isn't going to work unless you have a death metal growl, but look at someone like Maynard James Keenan. Tool is most certainly a hard rock/metal-influenced band, and his voice is anything but the conventional death scream. Sometimes he's lilting and very melodic, and sometimes he does have the growl/snarl. Then you've got more conventional rock voices like Roger Daltrey's; certainly not anything too rough, but still a great sound with a great band. LP's lead singer is awfully whiny, though.

Complaints of "mainstream fake angst" come from a lot of things. Their brand of angst is very general; it's big, wide, and boring. "Crawling in my skin/These words I cannot feel," and so on...as far as lyrics go, there's very little experimentation with form, and very little variety in content. It's just plain boring, and something I've heard a million times before. If I want to see this done with more cohesive production, more earnestness, and a lot more wit, I'll just grab some old Nine Inch Nails. Might not set the world on fire, but I think there's a lot out there--even in the angsty/gothic/fusion sound genre--that beats out Linkin Park big-time.

Also:

They sound like a gayer 311.

I'll buy that too. Chuckle.

Man, I get sick and tired of people not being able to actually DEFEND their music, and just point out that I "hate them because they're popular". Most people share this attitude until they actually, you know, LISTEN to something that you don't hear on the radio.

Contrary to what most people in this thread have said, technique has very little to do with how good the music is. It's like workrate in wrestling; very easy to point out and admire, but you've really only scratched the surface. There's so much more to appreciate, right as soon as you go past being in awe of the Rock really running the ropes fast, or Eddie Van Halen going at like a bazillion miles an hour. I'm actually going to write an article trying to break all this stuff down, and post it up, but it should take me awhile. Hopefully it goes better than the last two did.

With all that being said, I should point out that Linkin Park still sucks. The production values are standard glossed over crap, the lyrics are extrememly bland and boring, and to top it all off they have a bunch of crappy power chord riffs that haven't been done before by all those crappy nu metal bands, and better if you could believe that.

When you're faux-nu metal, you know you suck.

Guest Dace59

Feel, the hate. It's all good.

Please tell me how you can have good music if you dont have skill?

Speed is a good thing. The faster you go, the harder it is.

Someone that can get off 1000 BPM has to work harder than someone doing 60.

I never said you could make good music without skill, I said technique, and yes, there is a difference. Skill is arranging the songs melodically, while technique is the speed you go at, and proficiency at which you play. A 'great' solo doesn't necessarily equate to great music. Generally speaking, a techinically sound band will never have good production, I don't know why but I noticed that.

That's not to say that technique isn't important, but not as much as people as people would like to have you believe. It can add to a song, as in the case of someone like David Gilmour, or it can detract from it, as is the case from someone like, well, pick any 80s hair metal band. Although it doesn't always detract from the song, as sometimes the song wasn't very good to begin with. Most of those songs are just as power chord riddled as Linkin Park, except that they throw in a solo somewhere in there. Why do you think people think the Black Album is so fucking terrible? Metallica wasn't that great to begin with, and the Black Album only added another reason as to why to hate them.

I don't know exact stats, but I'm sure that there are many songs that go at 60 BPM that are better than those at 1000 BPM. Jimi Hendrix wasn't a great guitarist because he went fast, it's because every note had meaning. I like Dream Theatre, but I can't say the same thing for Petrucci. A friend of mine burned a CD, and it was playing Van Halen. That's fine, but than it played the Police. One song was a lot slower, but guess which one is much greater? Crude example to be sure, but it stands.

The Police will always be greater than Van Halen, Nirvana will always own Dream Theatre, and Radiohead will always, ALWAYS be better than Rush. I pulled some random bands together, but it all comes together in the end.

So what's the lesson? Technique can help, but it's really unnecessary in the end.

Guest CoreyLazarus416

...if one more person calls Evanescense or Linkin Park "metal" I will hurt somebody...

As for "metal vocalists having deeper/rougher voices," I give you 2 of THE greatest vocalists, hands-down, of all-time, and they are/were in legendary REAL metal bands: ROB HALFORD and BRUCE DICKINSON. There is NO such thing as a "metal voice." Metal incorporates ALL kinds of vocals (growls and screeches being most prominent these days, although operatic and "gloomy" are also still there). Relative Ash is not metal...argh...

I hate Linkin Park because their music sucks. My friend Drew was into them before "One Step Closer" became a hit, but was released, and made me listen to them. I've hated them since "One Step Closer" was released, and I will continue to hate them until they release a good album.

SpiderPoet:

If you're into melodic music with a Christian theme, I'd like to suggest the Power/Doom metal band Solitude Aeturnus. They're okay, definitely crap compared to most other doom bands, but there is a Christian theme to many songs.

Guest CoreyLazarus416
Why do you think people think the Black Album is so fucking terrible? Metallica wasn't that great to begin with, and the Black Album only added another reason as to why to hate them.

What, did you honestly think I'd let a "dis" to Metallica squeak by? Haha, fools.

The Black Album is hated by many because it signalled the end of Metallica's prime (the first four LPs), not because Metallica, the band, was bad. And, for the most, people don't think The Black Album is terrible, just that it's a huge disappointment that doesn't feel like a "Metallica" album should have. The album was too polished to be a Metallica album, and the aggression of previous albums was thrown away for a more mellow, "party" atmosphere.

Guest snuffbox

What Halford and Dickinson lacked in a 'gravel' they certainly had an 'edge'. They were also very fruity.

Chas is quite fruity....but has zero 'edge'. There is a certain undeniable intimidation with a metal singer. Thats kinda they idea. Chester doesnt have that.

Im sticking to my guns on the 'metal voice' thing. When its faked to sound 'edgier' its obvious. And queer.

And Corey, what would you call Relative Ash then? Theyre definitly above nu-metal and all that. And if your going to quetion their realness...I will gladly take this up on the street of your choosing!

Guest Vitamin X

Just wanted to point out a good melodic metal band, that's actually metal I've listened to recently is Agalloch. Check them out, they have a pretty cool sound, in my opinion..

Guest redbaron51
The Police will always be greater than Van Halen, Nirvana will always own Dream Theatre, and Radiohead will always, ALWAYS be better than Rush. I pulled some random bands together, but it all comes together in the end.

So what's the lesson? Technique can help, but it's really unnecessary in the end.

Um...

you are compairing bands that don't even play the same genre of music.

I mean Nirvana and Dream Theater are complete opposites, one sucks, the other is skilled in talent and technique.

Radiohead and Rush are prog music, but there style is totally different from each other.

Police and Van Halen are great during their prime. Both had great guitarists, great drummers, and great singers. Both had adequete bass players (Sting isn't that special of a bass player).

All you are stating is pretty much who like better, IMO.