TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Flyboy

The One & Only Academy Awards Thread

Guest WrestlingDeacon

I took a wild guess on yahoo's Oscar pick 'em, but didn't really know who to go for for these categories. I'm doing about as well as my NCAA picks, lousy.

Guest EternallyLazy
I smell a Chicago sweep as well... but I really want Scorsese to win Best Director. The guy deserves it... it's amazingly sad that he's never won an Oscar considering he directed the best film of the 70's (taxi driver) 80's (raging bull) and 90's (Goodfellas)

He may deserve it, but not for Gangs. I see no reason to give it to someone for past mistakes or the such.

He did the best job out of those nominated. Gangs is far from his best movie, but he did the best job out of those up for the award. He should win.

Agreed. I love Chicago as much as the next... straight guy willing to admit to it... but I was much more impressed with the direction of GONY.

Guest WrestlingDeacon

Musicals always win over historical epics, it's tradition. So, I'm right behind down home at 3/5

Guest Kahran Ramsus
Musicals always win over historical epics, it's tradition. So, I'm right behind down home at 3/5

Moulin Rouge was much better than Chicago and it got dick.

Guest Downhome

I loved that things performance so much, I almost said I wanted IT/him to win an award for it's performance, heh.

Guest Kahran Ramsus

There was more competition last year though. This year's nominations were pathetic.

Guest WrestlingDeacon
Moulin Rouge was much better than Chicago and it got dick.

I said it in another recent thread that Moulin Rouge is a love it or hate it film and I'm in the camp that hates it. It can eat a bag of dicks for all I care. All I was pointing out was that a musical will beat a historical drama most times, although historical dramas are historically the biggest winner in the costume category. So get a historical based musical and it's sewed up.

Guest EternallyLazy

Anyone here feel that Saving Private Ryan was robbed by Shakespeare in Love? I ask the question because I just thought of it, and I remember being irritated about it

Guest Kahran Ramsus
Anyone here feel that Saving Private Ryan was robbed by Shakespeare in Love? I ask the question because I just thought of it, and I remember being irritated about it

I hated that too. Maybe even moreso than Titanic's win.

Guest Downhome

*raises hand*

Guest EternallyLazy

I hated that too. Maybe even moreso than Titanic's win.

I was upset about Titanic too... I mean, Titanic wasn't a bad film... but LA Confidential (my pick for that year) was far superior in almost every way

Guest WrestlingDeacon

I didn't like any of the nominees that year. William Goldman wrote a brilliant essay on how bad Saving Private Ryan is from a screenplay and film construction point of view.

Guest El Satanico

No...Saving Private Ryan wasn't that great. It was like Gladiator, good but not great and it didn't deserve an Oscar.

Guest Kahran Ramsus

The Makeup category was a farce, especially considering the job they did on Bernard Hill in The Two Towers.

I'm just glad I don't have to say Academy Award Winner The Time Machine, so I guess this was the right pick.

Guest Kahran Ramsus

No...Saving Private Ryan wasn't that great. It was like Gladiator, good but not great and it didn't deserve an Oscar.

I loved Gladiator.

Guest EternallyLazy

I disagree, but then again, it's been more than two years since I watched it. I might feel different if I watch it again

Guest WrestlingDeacon

5/7

I loved how Connery just said "Catherine." They did make a movie together and are probably friends. Fits nice.