TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Urban Warfare

The one and only NHL playoffs thread

Guest treble charged

West

(1) Dallas vs (8) Edmonton

- Dallas in 6. I want Edmonton to win, but I have to be reasonable here. I just hope this is as good as their previous series.

(2) Detroit vs (7) Anaheim

-Detroit in 5. Thomas was a good pick-up, but he's not going to beat Detroit.

(3) Colorado vs (6) Minnesota

-Minnesota in 7. Just a feeling I have. I think they'll take the Avs by surprise like Edmonton did a few years back.

(4) Vancouver vs (5) St. Louis

-Vancouver in 6. St. Louis played like crap today against Colorado. They have a good team, but no proven playoff record in the past few years. The Canucks just need Cloutier to be on top of his game.

East

(1) Ottawa vs (8) NY Islanders

-Ottawa in 6. The Sens may lose a game or two on Long Island, but the Isles have played like crap down the stretch, and if either the Rangers or the Habs had played any better, they'd be here instead.

(2) New Jersey vs (7) Boston

-New Jersey in 5. Boston has Thornton, Murray, and umm... crappy goaltending? Jersey learned their lesson with taking opponents too lightly with Carolina last year.

(3) Tampa Bay vs (6) Washington

-Washington in 5. I like Tampa, but they don't have much experience compared to the Caps. Khabibulin will have to be spectacular for them to win.

(4) Philidelphia vs (5) Toronto

-Toronto in 6. This is essentially the same Philly team that the Sens shut down last year. Yuskeivich should help them a bit in the defence department, but if Belfour plays like he has for most of this season, they won't be scoring many goals, anyway.

Guest MaxPower27

TC, I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree with you about 'the same team that Ottawa shut down'

With the pickup of Amonte, Philly has been scoring a TON lately. Amonte and Roenick on the same line is a fantastic move for Philly. Cechmanek isn't the best in the NHL, but he can be solid.

Guest Vern Gagne
[(3) Colorado vs (6) Minnesota

-Minnesota in 7. Just a feeling I have. I think they'll take the Avs by surprise like Edmonton did a few years back.

(4) Vancouver vs (5) St. Louis

-Vancouver in 6. St. Louis played like crap today against Colorado. They have a good team, but no proven playoff record in the past few years. The Canucks just need Cloutier to be on top of his game.

I don't know if the Wild have enough offense, and Colorado still has Patrick Roy. I just don't see Roy losing to first year playoff team.

Does Vancouver have much of a playoff record the last few years?I know they won the first 2 against Detroit last year.

Guest treble charged
TC, I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree with you about 'the same team that Ottawa shut down'

With the pickup of Amonte, Philly has been scoring a TON lately. Amonte and Roenick on the same line is a fantastic move for Philly. Cechmanek isn't the best in the NHL, but he can be solid.

No, they're not exactly the same team, but they really aren't that much better in my eyes. Amonte will help them a bit, and so will Hitchcock, probably, but I just don't see them beating Toronto (and maybe that's my bias speaking, but I don't think so).

Does Vancouver have much of a playoff record the last few years?I know they won the first 2 against Detroit last year.

2 playoff wins in the last 2 years. I think they missed the playoffs for every year between '96 and '01 (but I could be wrong), so they don't really have a proven record, either.

Guest nl5xsk1

While I picked NJ to beat the B's, I wouldn't be surprised if Boston won the Series. With the futile offense of Jersey, as long as the B's can score 1 or 2 goals, they might win the game. I can see a game or two ending 2-0 or 3-1, with one of the goals in either game being an empty netter.

And for everyone that's saying it's just Joe and Muzz, what about Knuble? 30 goals is nothing to scoff at. Or Samsonov? If he's healthy, it gives the Bruins two good scoring lines for the first time all year. Then, if someone like Ralston or Axelson scores a few, the B's have a better shot of winning their series than NYI, or Anaheim, or Edmonton, or Minnesota.

Guest starvenger
Overtime losses are a crock of shit. Vancouver had more wins then Colorado but lose the division because Col had more losses in overtime.

Bullshit

Not a big fan of the OTL column, but on the positive side I don't think it would have changed the 16 teams that made it in. Still, you take those OTLs away and Toronto plays Jersey in the first round.

Anyways, congrats to Ottawa for winning the President's trophy - and with only ONE OTL no less.

Picks:

EAST

Ottawa vs Long Island - Ottawa in 6. I'm interested to see who New York paints as the villain in this series. My money's on Varada. HOWEVER, if there's gonna be a major upset in the east, it'll be here. I just don't see it happening though.

New Jersey vs Boston - New Jersey in 5. Boston just doesn't have the goaltending to be competitive in the playoffs. Even firing Ftorek won't be the magic solution here.

Tampa Bay vs Washington - Washington in 6. Like it matters. I'm just being greedy since I figure it'll be easier to get Leafs playoff tix in Jersey than Ottawa, and it'd be easier for me to travel there. Of course, it'd be a LOT easier to get tix in Tampa or Washington, but that'd require some serious luck on the part of the Isles or Boston.

Philadelphia vs Toronto - Toronto in 6. Whoever comes out of this series is coming out hurting. Lots of grinding, obstruction, and whining. Can we duct tape Tucker's mouth shut? Just a thought.

WEST

Dallas vs. Edmonton - Dallas in 5. I want all the Canadian teams to advance, I really do, but I'm just not feeling it with the Oilers. Still, these two teams give good matches all around, and playoff meeting #2430 shouldn't be any different.

Detroit vs Anaheim - Detroit in 6. I'm being realistic here, but fuck you, Cujo.

Colorado vs Minnesota - Colorado in 5. Let's see what the playoff rookies are made of.

Vancouver vs St Louis - Vancouver in 6. You gotta love Pronger and Macinnis (ok, maybe you don't) but Vancouver's the real deal, and like Bob said, OTL screwed them out of 3rd. You can't obsess over that though, because the Blues will kill you if you overlook them.

Guest gthureson
West

(1) Dallas vs (8) Edmonton

(2) Detroit vs (7) Anaheim

(3) Colorado vs (6) Minnesota

(4) Vancouver vs (5) St Louis

East

(1) Ottawa vs (8) NY Islanders

(2) New Jersey vs (7) Boston

(3) Tampa Bay vs (6) Washington

(4) Philidelphia vs (5) Toronto

The Playoffs officially begin on wenesday.

I make no attempt to pick a number of games.

West:

Dallas vs. Edmonton: This Edmonton team is probably better suited for this series than in the past. The Oilers have a bit more size, and still have their speed. The question really is whether guys like Isbister show up or not. The Stars top line more than matches the Oilers top line, so it the Oilers want a chance at it, the bottom two lines of the Oilers have to produce. Marchant is having a career year, but he will be given the shadow job on Modano. The Oilers have a shot at this, but, as the cliche goes, they have to be mistake free. They have had a habit of making the dumb play at the wrong time against Dallas in the playoffs. Keep it simple, and they just might do it.

My pick: Head says Dallas, but I'll be pulling for the Oil.

Detroit vs. Anaheim: Detroit is too deep. While CuJo is not my first choice for a goalie to go all the way with, he'll be fine the first two rounds at least.

My pick: Detroit

Colorado vs. Minnesota: The top two lines and four defencemen for the Avs will be too much. Minnesota can roll their lines better, and surprisingly, probably trusts their third and fourth lines more than Colorado, but I don't think they have the gas to win 4 of 7 vs. a hot Colorado team. But I think they'll take at least 2 and scare them a bit.

My pick: Colorado

Vancouver vs. St. Louis: Best thing that could have happened to the Canucks is dropping to 4th and playing the Blues. The Blues are going nowhere and the Canucks are going to the second round.

My pick: Canucks

East

Ottawa vs. Islanders: I stand by my belief that any team with Alexei Yashin goes nowhere and wins nothing. Ottawa goes forward.

My pick: Ottawa

New Jersey vs. Boston: Most important things in the playoffs are goaltending and defence. Which happen to be Boston's two weak points and New Jersey's strengths. New Jersey is taking this one.

My pick: New Jersey

Tampa Bay vs. Washington: Tampa has had a good season, but I think the Caps have a better playoff team.

My pick: Washington

Philly vs. Toronto: I hate both these teams, Toronto more than Philly. But the Flyers are a collection of high priced players who don't win anything anywhere they go. They'll score a few goals this year, but they're out in the first round again. Maybe it will finally cost Clarke his job.

My pick: Toronto

Meaning 2nd Round is:

Dallas vs. Vancouver

Detroit vs. Colorado

Ottawa vs. Washington

New Jersey vs. Toronto

Guest CanadianChris
Goaltending ultimately decides the playoffs, but a team can get lucky and put together 4 wins by just out shooting their opponents. Brodeur is a good goalie, but Hackett can be great on some nights. Who knows, maybe Hackett stands on his head in close games and Boston catches Marty having two off nights. Bingo. Series won.

Jeff Hackett will miss the entire series with a broken finger. And Steve Shields reminds me of the inimitable Andre "Red Light" Racicot.

Guest treble charged

Didn't Steve Shields beat the Sens in a playoff series once?

Guest cartman
New Jersey vs Boston - New Jersey in 5. Boston just doesn't have the goaltending to be competitive in the playoffs. Even firing Ftorek won't be the magic solution here.

Worked for Jersey a few years back.

Also, people (including the Devils) don't think the Bruins have ANY chance. In Hockey that means they are an imminent threat. Is anyone here going to tell me that they picked Carolina to go to the Cup Finals last season? ANYTHING can happen.

...and YES Philly ill destroy whats left of Toronto and their Hospital Ward All Stars.

Guest bob_barron
and YES Philly ill destroy whats left of Toronto and their Hospital Ward All Stars.

who will all be healthy from playoff time.

Firing Ftorek didn't make their goaltending or defence any better and I don't see them standing a chance against Jersey

Guest redbaron51
and YES Philly ill destroy whats left of Toronto and their Hospital Ward All Stars.

who will all be healthy from playoff time.

Firing Ftorek didn't make their goaltending or defence any better and I don't see them standing a chance against Jersey

West

(1) Dallas vs (8) Edmonton (Dallas in 6)

(2) Detroit vs (7) Anaheim (Detroit in 5)

(3) Colorado vs (6) Minnesota (Colorado in 6)

(4) Vancouver vs (5) St Louis (Vancouver in 6)

East

(1) Ottawa vs (8) NY Islanders (Ottawa in 5)

(2) New Jersey vs (7) Boston (NJ in 7)

(3) Tampa Bay vs (6) Washington (Washington in 6)

(4) Philidelphia vs (5) Toronto (I wish neither of these teams go on, but incase this for once, and only Leaf fans TORONTO IN SEVEN!!!!!!!!!

Playoffs are full of surprises, anything can happen, and a new season is upon us.

Remember, not many of you though Carolina could be Toronto, nor Montreal could beat Boston

Guest CanadianChris
Didn't Steve Shields beat the Sens in a playoff series once?

Just like a Leaf fan to dwell in the past.

He was in goal when the Sabres beat the Sens in 1997 (their first ever postseason appearance, of course), but considering the Sabres were up 2-1 before he started a game and won the series in a game 7 overtime, I wouldn't say Shields beat the Sens.

Guest Chuck Woolery

West

Dallas d. Edmonton in 6 - I don't even know how Edmonton will pull out two, but I think they can do at least that well. They don't have enough to beat the Stars, though.

Detroit d. Anaheim in 5 - Anaheim is highly underrated, in my opinion, and I think they can avoid a sweep.

Minnesota d. Colorado in 6 - There, I said it. Colorado may be hot, but Minnesota is a team that the big, bad Avalanche will take lightly, and it will bite them in the ass.

Vancouver d. St Louis via a sweep - Fuck overtime losses and fuck the Blues, Vancouver will crush the notorious imploders.

East

NY Islanders d. Ottawa in 7 - For the second year in a row I foresee an early exit for the East's #1 seed. Chalk it up to the disgusting parity of the Eastern conference.

New Jersey d. Boston in 6 - Unfortunately, I don't feel the same way about my hometown team. As much as I like Boston, I don't think they can beat any good team at this point, much less New Jersey.

Tampa Bay d. Washington via sweep - I've been saying Tampa Bay would be a contender since May and I stand by it. My pick for the Eastern champions.

Toronto d. Philadelphia in 7 - Fuck Philly too. They should be easy pickin's for Toronto.

Guest starvenger
Playoffs are full of surprises, anything can happen, and a new season is upon us.

Remember, not many of you though Carolina could be Toronto, nor Montreal could beat Boston

I don't think that anybody thought that Carolina would make it past the 1st round, never mind Toronto in the conference finals. After all, they're still the fricking Whalers.

But your point is well taken. The only surprises I'm hoping for is Edmonton and maybe Minnesota.

Tampa Bay d. Washington via sweep - I've been saying Tampa Bay would be a contender since May and I stand by it. My pick for the Eastern champions.

Wow, talk about your bold statements. But again, anything can happen in the playoffs. We shall see what transpires.

Guest CanadianChris

Wow, talk about your bold statements. But again, anything can happen in the playoffs. We shall see what transpires.

Thinking about this some more, I actually think Tampa Bay could get to the conference finals. If they get by Washington, they should be able to beat New Jersey, given that the goaltending will be about equal and the Lightning should have way more firepower than the Devils.

But, we shall see...

Guest redbaron51

Any final predictions?

I say Detroit vs Washington this year again...

Guest bob_barron

Hmmm-

I'm thinking a Dallas v. NJ rematch. Or Dallas v. Ottawa

Guest redbaron51

Dallas vs Ottawa would be good.

What would be better for the game is Vancouver vs Ottawa

Guest bob_barron

Yes- two Canadian teams in the final would be great for hockey. Both teams could use the cash

Guest redbaron51

and it puts a big black eye on sports that money doesn't buy championships.

Then again, if that happens, dont expect most of those players returning either