TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest EternallyLazy

Rulon Gardner to WWE?

Guest EternallyLazy

WWE has one Olympic Gold Medalist in Kurt Angle, and may be looking to add another in Rulon Gardner.

Gardner, who won the gold medal in the Greco-Roman competition with a shocking win over previously undefeated Alexander Karelin of Russia at the 2000 Summer Olympics in Australia, said that in a recent conversation with Kurt Angle's manager the topic of WWE in Gardner's future came up.

"When you decide to come out, let us know." Gardner quoted Angle's manager as saying to The Montana Billing Gazette Newspaper.

Gardner intends to retire from amateur wrestling after the 2004 Olympic Games.

Gardner also noted to the newspaper that he was offered $1.5 million to join World Wrestling Entertainment after he won the gold in 2000. The article also looks at how Gardner could provide a much needed younger face into the company as Hulk Hogan and Steve Austin are heading towards the end of their runs.

to read the full article click here

EDIT: Added link

Guest Dmann2000

If Rulon accepts and turns out like Kurt and Brock, it's a good investment.

Guest ViciousFish
If Rulon accepts and turns out like Kurt and Brock, it's a good investment

Yeah but if he accepts and turns out like Shamrock (not an amateur wrestler I know its an example) he'll be badly utilized, jobbed out and released. I hope he turns out like Brock and Angle though.

A toe isn't nearly as bad as a foot being amputated and Kerry Von Erich did well without one.

Messiah is doing great things without his thumb.

Maybe "24"s Kung Fu Miguel can get into wrestling now.

Dames

What you get when you see Rulon Gardner is a guy who is a big guy (which Vince likes) with the athleticism that Kurt Angle has (though not as much). This guy can do a STANDING backflip. I think he'd be a great fit in that ring. He could definitely be a Kurt Angle-type...

Guest creativename

Gardner just doesn't seem to be as good as Angle, in terms of amateur ability. His victory was in many ways a fluke. I suppose he'd have been over if they signed him right after 2000, but the years that have passed would dilute that. Unless he gets a medal at the next games (which is highly improbable) I don't know what they'd do with him.

Of course Rulon is in a whole different league in terms of amateur ability than Brock, but he's just so weird looking. The only way I'd see him as getting over would be as some sort of "cuddly teddy bear" type face.

I suppose he'd have been over if they signed him right after 2000, but the years that have passed would dilute that.

Kurt Angle won his medal in '96 and didn't come in until '99.

Dames

If Kurt wrestled in 2000 and lost, he wouldn't have had the same marketability.

With Gardner coming in after 2004, he'll have to train up, probably coming in around 2006. Hopefully WWE will be back on the up round then.

Also, $1.5 million is a lot for an untested wrestler in these lean times. How much did they pay Kurt?

Guest EternallyLazy

They offered Kurt at least a million when they first went to him after he won the gold medal... but he turned them down. When he changed his mind, he asked if he could have the same offer back, and they pretty much laughed at him and said "nope" So he had to work his way up

I heard this story from Kurt on some sports show on FOX sports

IMO giving someone $1.5 million to be a pro-wrestler just cause they're a good amateur is dumb business. Say this guy can't sell, or has no ring psychology, or can't work a crowd, or comes in thinking he's above the rest of the locker room? I still think the way forward is bringing in the top indy workers like American Dragon, AJ Styles, Chris Daniels etc.

Vince signing blindly is the whole reason Steiner, Nash, Hall etc. have ruined the product.

Chave, while Steiner, Nash and Hall were costly mistakes that Vince has made, they haven't been nearly as detrimental to the WWE, their storylines or business as we thought they would have been.

Dames

Chave, while Steiner, Nash and Hall were costly mistakes that Vince has made, they haven't been nearly as detrimental to the WWE, their storylines or business as we thought they would have been. 

Dames

Fair play mate, but they have been a costly mistake, and are indicative of the problems in the WWE.

If Vince had spent that money well (on wrestlers who could work, pushing new faces, getting the WWE name around, some decent writers, paying the mafia to kidnap Hunter) then the product would be in a better state and far more enjoyable to watch.

If I was a businessman, and spent close to $10 million on employees, when I had the pick of the best workers in the world, I'd expect them to cause a rise in my profits.

This isn't a rant per se, it's just pointing out that spending that much money the way WWE has is a waste.

Guest Youth N Asia

Unlike Kurt or Brock, the guy has no look to him. But a big dumb looking guy, and while Brock is the same thing at least he's got a scarey face and he's in amazing shape.

I don't think they'll strike gold with this guy.

Guest Jobber of the Week

I doubt 1Bob reports of signings by default until someone else seconds it.

Guest Masked Heel

Brock didn't have a look until he stoped cutting weight and started training 24/7 with the wwe Gardner could be good but its kinda sad to see him go to the wwe after already turning them down he didn't get a fluke win either Kurt Angle only won the freestyle gold medal by one point as well Gardner doesn't seem as athletic as Kurt to me but if he can do a standing backflip he'll get me to "mark" for it and Kerelin wasn't undefeated he just hadn't lost for 7 or so years

Guest Steviekick
I believe it's also in his book, but I'm too sure on that.

Dames

Yeah, that was in the book. He said that his offer the second time was much less than the first time.

Guest Downhome

Ummm...

rulon.jpg

Rulon_Champion.gif

rulon_2.jpg

Gardner2.jpg

...he looks slightly retarded, but if he has the skill and could bust out great matches, bring him on!

Guest Downhome

Wait, he can do this...

01.jpg

001006_wrestling_ver.jpg

...he's a MUST sign now BAW GAWD!

He's also 6'2" and 286 lbs in case you are currious.

Guest Vitamin X

Bah gawd he's a retarded hoss!

Look at the flab on him in those pictures up above. The guy is in terms of size, right in between Brock and Kurt, but you guys are all missing the most important part..

Brock BARELY got over on what he passes on as "charisma", and we all know Kurt has plenty of it. This guy doesn't seem like he has any charisma at all, just looking at him.

They could do a really funny big man retard angle kind of like Lenny from Of Mice and Men..He kind of looks like the Lenny type. Or he could just go for the George "The Animal" Steele 2003 gimmick..

Guest Youth N Asia

No one else has said it, so I have to.

That boy's a bahgawd Hoss!

EDIT: SHIT! VX posted at the same time as I did and his showed up first

Edited by Youth N Asia

Guest Youth N Asia
Muahahaha

My 56k AOL connection whipped your ass

uh...yeah (it's just a post, guy)

Guest Jake the Muss
Kerelin wasn't undefeated he just hadn't lost for 7 or so years

Karelin had never lost an INTERNATIONAL match up to that point -13 years, over 200 matches-, and hadn't been scored against in 10.

Guest Vitamin X
Muahahaha

My 56k AOL connection whipped your ass

uh...yeah (it's just a post, guy)

:(

let me celebrate my lone victory in my pitiful life, please

:P

... :huh:

Guest Youth N Asia
WWE should sign Cael over Gardner

That's assuming he'd sign. Much like what Kurt said in his book, most of these guys shit on pro wrestling. That's not to say Cael does, I don't know.

I'd really rather see him try and win olympic gold.