TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
TheOriginalOrangeGoblin

Robocop(1987)

I know many consider this a good action movie. but I consider this a great MOVIE. Not just action.

Aside from the fact that it's one of the bloodiest movies ever made(uncut version in ALL of it's glory), great action sequences, it also has a smart social message and great social commentary.

Plus Clarence Boddicker(Kurtwood Smith) is one of the most sadistic and underrated villains ever.

What does everyone else think of this?

Guest Youth N Asia

Who the hell says it's underrated? Everyone loves Robocop...the first one anyway.

Guest notJames

Great stuff. Especially looking back at all the guys who were in it who ended up on recent TV shows.

Kurtwood Smith - That '70s Show

Miguel Ferrer - Crossing Jordan

Paul McCrane - ER

The scene where all the criminals riddle Murphy with bullets will forever be etched in my brain.

"Good night, sweet prince. Ha ha ha ha ha!!!"

Guest Bruiser Chong

There's was actually a pretty good thread a few months back regarding the Robocop franchise. Most people summed up their thoughts in that one. Said thread . I think someone should bump that one.

I don't think it's underrated so much as it is misunderstood by many. Not everyone gets that it's a satirical film.

Guest CoreyLazarus416

Wow...somebody actually referenced a thread I started...W00T W00T~!

But yeah. RoboCop was awesome. I personally like RoboCop 2 even more, just for the fact that I feel it goes a little deeper into the characters. Lewis is featured more, and there was a nice little seen where Murphy and Hawk "bonded," in a sense. Sure, Cain sucked...until later...

Guest Marshall

"Can you fly, Bobby?"

"A new toy, can I play"

"Dead or alive, you are coming with me"

"Your move, creep."

"Goodnight, sweet prince"

"I'd buy that for a dollar"

Most quotable movie ever!

Guest Bruiser Chong
But yeah. RoboCop was awesome. I personally like RoboCop 2 even more, just for the fact that I feel it goes a little deeper into the characters. Lewis is featured more, and there was a nice little seen where Murphy and Hawk "bonded," in a sense. Sure, Cain sucked...until later...

Although I'm aware you were refering to personal taste, I'll have to disagree with you about that. Robocop was an excellent movie, groundbreaking and is something that still holds up today. I look at Robocop 2 and I see a movie that is here for no other reason than to cash in on the success of the original. The mystique of the original hasn't made the transition over to the sequel.

Perhaps it's just that the characters in the first one were so good and the ones in the sequel were the complete opposite. Maybe it's the lack of a good villain (the fact that the sequel has about four people that could be considered big antangonists doesn't even help the cause), or maybe it's even something small like the abscence of Basil Paledouris' powerful score that help set a great atmosphere in the original. It could be one, several, or all of those reasons and more that the second one just doesn't hold a canlde to the original.

I'd agree with you about them going deeper into the characters in the sequel but I only think that it appears that way. Halfway through the original, the conflict with Robo became a self-conflict, as he tried to figure out if he was man or machine. This was answered in not so many words at the end of the movie, when he told the Old Man to call him Murphy.

Despite this, Robo is once again pondering the same matter in the sequel. I know that the new OCP characters sparked this, but to me it doesn't even seem like it should have been debated any further and that plot just came off as something that was there because they needed some sort of a conflict with Robo.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the sequel and usually watch it whenever it's on TV, but regardless, I always feel like I'm watching a movie that's trying to be Robocop and not the real deal, which would tell you that the movie is severely flawed.

Guest DVD Spree

Oh man, Prime Directives was COMPLETE SHIT.

There's so much so-bad-it's-good value to be had in those eight hours of RoboSchlock:

- a 5ft RoboCop

- the director not even bothering to conceal 5ft RoboCop - see women tower over him!

- RoboCable walks like he's shit his metal pants

- RoboCable: "Now I've got your fat, black ass!"

- RoboCop CRYING

- Lightsabers. LIGHTSABERS.

- Game of Death-style "flashbacks" (read: these movies are so shit we had to cut in footage of the good ones)

- RoboCop VS RoboCable - 1) Hey, let's stand PERFECTLY STILL and shoot each other in the stomach for five minutes. 2) Hey, let's duke it out - FOXY BOXING! 3) Hey, you're made of metal - I'll throw you through some glass. OH NO, GLASS!

- "I'm composed of titanium. I don't believe you are."

- Too much dialogue.

- By bad actors.

- Too little action.

- Too shit when it happens.

- Moments of obscene, ridiculous, out of place ultraviolence.

Man, I really have to write a review of those flicks. THey'd take weeks to finish and take shots of, but MAN, it'd be a labour of love.

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen
"Can you fly, Bobby?"

"A new toy, can I play"

"Dead or alive, you are coming with me"

"Your move, creep."

"Goodnight, sweet prince"

"I'd buy that for a dollar"

Most quotable movie ever!

Both Casablanca and Army of Darkness have it beat there.

Casablanca:

"Play it, Sam."

"Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she had to walk into mine."

"Here's lookin' at you, kid."

"We'll always have Paris."

"I stick my neck out for no one."

"Louie, this could be the beginning of a beautiful friendship."

The entire "You have to get on that plane..." speech.

Guest Crucifixio Jones

You CAN NOT list Robocop quotes and leave out the following:

Bitches...leave.

That's classic.

Guest Bruiser Chong

Bitches...leave.

That's classic.

That is true, CJ. I LOVE using that little line in everyday life, although it's not always the wisest line to use in some cases. They shouldn't have killed off Clarence and then maybe he could made a return in one of the two horrible sequels and brought a little light to them. Or perhaps it was meant to be that one of the coolest villains made his only appearance in the first and best film of the series.

Guest Marshall
Both Casablanca and Army of Darkness have it beat there.

But I've said "I'd buy that for a dollar", and "A new toy, can I play" in real life situations. If I said "Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she had to walk into mine" even if I was being silly, I'd get slaped by someone at some point.

NOTHING beats Robocop for quotes to throw around with your mates.

Guest NoCalMike

I have the criterion uncut version on DVD. The extended scenes although only a few more seconds long, really make the scenes noticeably(sp?) more gruesome, and ya know what.....I LIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIKE IT.......

Guest Youth N Asia

I've quoted Army of Darkness and Full Metal Jacket more then Robocop. Great movie none the less.

Guest DrTom
NOTHING beats Robocop for quotes to throw around with your mates.

Actually, I think Tombstone has it beat. Just Doc Holliday alone has a litany of excellent quotes. And the movie's usefulness in quoting while playing cards is unmatched in modern cinema.

Guest Dmann2000

Bitches...leave.

That's classic.

Yes, yes that's the one!

Guest notJames

Sorry, but When Harry Met Sally is infinitely more quotable in everyday life than any of those, with the exception of possibly Pulp Fiction.

Guest CoreyLazarus416

I actually quote Orgazmo and Ghostbusters more than any other movie...

I mean, if somebody I've never met asks me what my name is, I go "I am Sancho." And I can't tell you how many times I've quoted "Yes, it's true. This man has no dick."

51YiZdy9zLL._AA240_.jpg

20th Anniversary Collector's Edition

Disc 1:

- The R-rated theatrical cut of the film (in 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen and Dolby 5.1 and DTS sound)

- Commentary with director Paul Verhoeven, producer Jon Davison, and writer Ed Neumeier

- The Boardroom: Storyboard with commentary by animator Phil Tippett

- Deleted Scenes

- Photo Gallery

- Original Theatrical Trailer

- TV Spot

Featurettes

- Flesh and Steel: The Making of Robocop

- Shooting Robocop

- Making Robocop

Disc 2:

The Director's Cut of the film (There isn't much difference between both cuts; 23 seconds of more bloody splatter)

Featurettes

- Villains of Old Detroit

- Special Effects: Then and Now

- Robocop: Creating A Legend

Peter Weller does appear in some of the featurettes as well. If you are wondering what he's been up to outside of the entertainment industry, Weller holds a Masters Degree in Roman and Renaissance Art, and is an occasional lecturer at Syracuse University on the subject of Hollywood and the Roman Empire. How cool is that?

This set comes in a steelbook case. All in all, this is one DVD that is worth buying over again (its the featurettes which make this DVD set worth owning) even if you already own the bare bones edition disc, and it's good to see that the film finally gets the mass DVD treatment it so rightfully deserves.

Shit. Robocop is my second favorite movie, and I already have the barebones, the boxset and the out of print Criterion Collection, which is mostly the same as the box set version, except it's a different commentary. They're both good commentaries.

Now I have to buy this. This is one movie I feel compelled to own in every version they release, the other being my first favorite movie, TCM.

So...lets say I wanted to buy the first one, but like to have sequels to movies I liked. I've never seen the sequels...would they be worth buying?

Robocop 2 is one of the most boring action films of all time. It's like literally an hour and a half of dialog, and 10 minutes of action. Robocop 3 is just flat out terrible though.

Isn't Robocop 2 the one where a bunch of kids run into a sports store, beat up the shop keep for no reason, and trash the place? I thought that was amusing.

yes, Robocop starts philosophizing with the kids and they all cuss him out, I think one of them spray paints on him as well. He also reads the miranda rights to a guy Lewis plugged in the head. Come on, it's funny!

yes, Robocop starts philosophizing with the kids and they all cuss him out, I think one of them spray paints on him as well. He also reads the miranda rights to a guy Lewis plugged in the head. Come on, it's funny!

Combining two scenes, there. The kid who spray paints him is when he turns off the fire hydrant the kids were playing in.

Also, they weren't trashing the store for no reason, they were robbing it at the behest of their coach (who was read the miranda rights after being shot in the head). I'm not sure if it was a gimmick or they were supposed to be an actual baseball team.