TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
B. Brian Brunzell

Dave DeBusschere Dead at 62

Former NBA great Dave DeBusschere died today of a heart attack at age 62. He was named one of the NBA's 50 Greatest Players at the league's 50th anniversery. I just saw this news and didn't have much time to post anything else on DeBusschere.

Guest Steve J. Rogers
I've honestly never heard of him.

I would advise you to read ANY of the numerous books out there on the late 60's early 70's Knicks (Bill Bradley wrote some books, Red Holtzman did and there are a few others)

As well there are some old Knick history videos that may still be in bargin bins at video stores or at rental places

Certaintly I'd check out the NBA at 50 video or any NBA history video

Steve

Guest Sandman9000

A sad day for basketball.

Interesting enough, De Busschere is only the third member of the NBA's Top 50 to die. Pete Maravich was named to the list after being dead for somewhere around 20-30 years, and Wilt Chamberlain died a couple of years ago.

Guest Steve J. Rogers
Pete Maravich was named to the list after being dead for somewhere around 20-30 years,

Ehem, Pistol Pete died on January 5 1988, about 8 years before being named to the Top 50. in 96/97 The exact date of the unveiling was Oct. 29, 1996.

20-30 years? Marivich played in the NBA from 70/71 to 79/80

Maybe a good 30 plus years after he started in the NBA

Steve

Guest goodhelmet

Also, if you are interested in the history of the NBA and ABA, I suggest you pick up the following two books by Terry Pluto-

Tall Tales- The story of the NBA during the 50's and 60's told by the players, owners, coaches and referees during that era. They discuss the greats, little known legends, funny stories, and the infamous Russell-Chamberlain debate.

Loose Balls- The Rise and Fall of the ABA. Includes legends and myths and facts from the little association that could. Discusses at length the star of Julius Erving, George Gervin, and Marvin BARNES!!! Also told by the players, coaches, refs and owners of the league for the 9 years of its existence.

Guest Sandman9000
Pete Maravich was named to the list after being dead for somewhere around 20-30 years,

Ehem, Pistol Pete died on January 5 1988, about 8 years before being named to the Top 50. in 96/97 The exact date of the unveiling was Oct. 29, 1996.

20-30 years? Marivich played in the NBA from 70/71 to 79/80

Maybe a good 30 plus years after he started in the NBA

Steve

D'oh. I could have sworn Maravich has been dead for longer then what he has been.

Guest DrTom

Red Holtzman's book on The Knicks was very interesting. I read in in seventh grade, since it looked like the best of a bad selection in the school library at the time.