TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest tank_abbott

The Old School questions thread

While watching a recently acquired "Best of the WWF" tape (I don't remember which volume), I was watching a tag match that featured Mr. Fuji & Tiger Chung Lee against the Wild Samoans, and I happened to notice that the gentleman who would later be known as Slick was the ring announcer for that match. This led me to wonder two things:

1) At what point did Slick transition from being a ring announcer to a manager, and was his previous occupation ever recognized on air?

2) Was Slick the only manager in the "Golden Age" of the WWF (and, for the purposes of this question, "Golden Age" is defined as 1984-1993) to never manage even one champion?

While watching a recently acquired "Best of the WWF" tape (I don't remember which volume), I was watching a tag match that featured Mr. Fuji & Tiger Chung Lee against the Wild Samoans, and I happened to notice that the gentleman who would later be known as Slick was the ring announcer for that match. This led me to wonder two things:

1) At what point did Slick transition from being a ring announcer to a manager, and was his previous occupation ever recognized on air?

2) Was Slick the only manager in the "Golden Age" of the WWF (and, for the purposes of this question, "Golden Age" is defined as 1984-1993) to never manage even one champion?

Just an an FYI, you were probably watching the WWF's Most Embarrassing Moments. And the ring announcer was actually Mel Phillips as he did the ring announcing primarily for Challenge tapings and Spectrum shows. As for the 2nd question, Frenchy Martin never got any gold although he was only a manager for a relatively short time.

To provide some background on Mel Philips, he was one of the men accused in the 1992 sexual harrassment case. Apparently Mel had a fetish for the feet of young boys. I don't think he was gay; he just had a young boy fetish.

Pretty sure Mel took over Spectrum duties when Gary Michael Cappetta left the company in 84-85.

It wasn't "Most Embarrasing." It was "Best of... Vol. 15," which is the one that also features the Strike Force/Hart Foundation title change, as well as the Sherri Martel/Fabulous Moolah title change, and the Glamour Girls/Jumping Bomb Angels title change. Gene did, in fact, describe it as an "Embarrasing" match, although after watching the match twice, I have no idea why.

So, that wasn't Slick, huh? Damn if it doesn't look like him, though...

While watching a recently acquired "Best of the WWF" tape (I don't remember which volume), I was watching a tag match that featured Mr. Fuji & Tiger Chung Lee against the Wild Samoans...

So were the Samoans faces? Was Mr. Fuji actually a face?

1.) How long did Ricky Steamboat last in his 2nd tenure with WWF in 91 and why did he leave?

2.) Were there any televised encounters between Hogan / Rude and Piper / Flair in WWF singles wise?

The Samoans were default babyfaces in that match.  Not sure if they had officially turned face.

I think they were faces since Lou Albano screwed up their tag title match against Johnson/Atlas. Albano wouldn't accept responsibility and the Samoans were on their own from then on. They would unsuccessfully challenge Adonis/Murdoch at MSG for a few months with the blowoff being Samoans/Slaughter defeating Adonis/Murdoch/Albano.

2.)  Were there any televised encounters between Hogan / Rude and Piper / Flair in WWF singles wise?

They had a match in Boston in late 1987 that was part of Best of WWF Volume 20. Rude had the bodybreaker on Hogan but released it too soon and you can figure out the rest. Plus as a FYI, I had a WWF SuperStars watch w/ a mini-game in which you can play Hogan vs. Rude.

Guest jm29195

Piper/Flair had a cage match that's been released on an old colliseum video in MSG in 91- Piper was also Flairs first opponent on the houseshow circuit when he debuted back in 91...

Guest jm29195
Which CV was this?  Or was it one just released in the UK?

It was on the release called WWF Supertape 2, I think it's an international release- here's the listing

WWF Supertape II (1990) (2hrs) - Randy Savage v Jim Duggan, Rockers v Powers of Pain, Rockers v Dino Bravo/Greg Valentine, Hercules v Akeem, Demolition v Orient Express, Bret Hart v Rick Martel, Roddy Piper v Rick Rude (Cage match), Hulk Hogan/Brutus Beefcake v Mr Perfect/Genius..

Which CV was this?  Or was it one just released in the UK?

It was on the release called WWF Supertape 2, I think it's an international release- here's the listing

WWF Supertape II (1990) (2hrs) - Randy Savage v Jim Duggan, Rockers v Powers of Pain, Rockers v Dino Bravo/Greg Valentine, Hercules v Akeem, Demolition v Orient Express, Bret Hart v Rick Martel, Roddy Piper v Rick Rude (Cage match), Hulk Hogan/Brutus Beefcake v Mr Perfect/Genius..

Thats Piper & Rude in a cage... there was a Piper/Flair regular match from MSG which was teelvised (10/91 I think)

1.)  How long did Ricky Steamboat last in his 2nd tenure  with WWF in 91 and why did he leave?

Steamboat was in from March to August of 1991. He left over a dispute with McMahon. They wanted him to do two squash jobs for IRS and Undertaker at a tv taping, both times getting stretchered out. Steamboat refused, feeling that, not only was it disrespectful to treat someone of his stature like that on tv, but that doing the stretcher job twice in a row on tv would expose the business. He had no problem doing jobs at house shows, but Steamboat refused to go along with this. At the time, Steamboat had been told they were going to start a program, his first during this run, with Ted DiBiase, and they felt by refusing to do the stretcher jobs, he was screwing up their plans. Quite how that works out, I'm not sure, especially considering that if it was that important for IRS and Undertaker to stretcher someone out, they could have put anyone in that spot. In any event, Vince took exception to Steamboat's actions, and they parted ways. There was some legal action from Steamboat later on over the contract dispute that resulted, I believe.

Yea cuz steamboat was hardly seen after summerslam, but he was starting a program with skinner IIRC since skinner was an aligator killer, and thus he also hated dragons?, and he was supposed to be on duggans survior series team (the wwf magazine ss preview listed him as a team member of duggan).

It was confusing to me back then , especially since Steamboat showed up at the Nov clash as Dustin Rhode's mystery partner subbing for windham and they defeated The Enforcers (Arn and Larry Zybysko) for the tag titles.

I was reading the latest mailbag on the Observer site, and Meltzer says that the last regional promotion to make money was the USWA "when Jarrett was paying people nothing". What is the story behind this? Was Jarrett stiffing the wrestlers or were they just working for free?

1.)  How long did Ricky Steamboat last in his 2nd tenure  with WWF in 91 and why did he leave?

Steamboat was in from March to August of 1991. He left over a dispute with McMahon. They wanted him to do two squash jobs for IRS and Undertaker at a tv taping, both times getting stretchered out. Steamboat refused, feeling that, not only was it disrespectful to treat someone of his stature like that on tv, but that doing the stretcher job twice in a row on tv would expose the business. He had no problem doing jobs at house shows, but Steamboat refused to go along with this. At the time, Steamboat had been told they were going to start a program, his first during this run, with Ted DiBiase, and they felt by refusing to do the stretcher jobs, he was screwing up their plans. Quite how that works out, I'm not sure, especially considering that if it was that important for IRS and Undertaker to stretcher someone out, they could have put anyone in that spot. In any event, Vince took exception to Steamboat's actions, and they parted ways. There was some legal action from Steamboat later on over the contract dispute that resulted, I believe.

So Steamboat refused to do ANY jobs on TV? Because I noticed that he had a nearly perfect record during his '91 WWF stint.

Jarrett paid most of his talent anything from $25 to $100 a date, depending on how high up the card they were. Wrestlers also didn't get paid for doing the TV, as Jarrett had the mindset that he was giving the wrestlers exposure, and so he shouldn't have to pay them for that.

So Steamboat refused to do ANY jobs on TV? Because I noticed that he had a nearly perfect record during his '91 WWF stint.

I don't think he refused to do jobs on TV, just those two specific jobs, because of how they were laid out. In any event, if had refused to do jobs before then, it was clearly something Vince didn't feel like doing anything about.

The idea of IRS making his opponent go to the back on a stretcher seems like a bit of a stretch (no pun intended) for his character. Taker I can see though. I also seem to recall reading in a WWE magazine sometime in 2002 that Steamboat mentioned he had hoped he would be able to work with Flair but was dissapointed he was not given that opportunity.

Was there any particular reason for Jerry Lawler to not only be in the 1997 KOTR but make it to the PPV semi-finals? I was rooting for him to finally win the thing and all but it seemed 4 years too late.

Also I recall rumours at the time that he was going to appoint "Prince Rob Van Dam" to take his spot in the tournament but after this speculation RVD was gone from Federation television. Was this just fan speculation or was there anything to back that rumour up?

Guest Arnold_OldSchool

Hulk Hogan has a small part in the movie "The Punisher" which also stars Kevin Nash

Hogan was in that movie? I don't recall

Piper was also pissed off at Lawler for making fun of sick kids.

I just read that some time in 1991, Virgil dressed as a woman and called himself "Virgilina". What the hell was this about and why is it not on Wrestlecrap?

I just read that some time in 1991, Virgil dressed as a woman and called himself "Virgilina".  What the hell was this about and why is it not on Wrestlecrap?

that did happen, I think it was mainly used for house show matches, where virgil could be in roddy pipers and others corners against dibiase IIRC.

I have a question, though I know the answer. RAW made me think of something tonight. Does anybody here remember the exact origin of HHH's infatuation with sledgehammers? What I mean is what is the first time he used one?

Mega brownie points for anyone who also remembers.

I'll give you a hint, it started in 99, and it involved the corporate ministry somehow.

Guest bigm350
I have a question, though I know the answer.  RAW made me think of something tonight. Does anybody here remember the exact origin of HHH's infatuation with sledgehammers?  What I mean is what is the first time he used one?

Mega brownie points for anyone who also remembers.

I'll give you a hint, it started in 99, and it involved the corporate ministry somehow.

He used it back in 99 against Mankind. I remember he took out Mick's knee with it. That's the first time I remember seeing HHH use it.

The first time I can recall HHH using the sledgehammer was when the Rock was placed inside a casket and HHH went nuts on it. I'm pretty sure this was in 99.

Then again, I could be wrong...

Dames