TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest mach7

For someone who's claims to know wrestling history

Guest My Eyebrow is on fire
I don't understand the Scott Keith hate. He writes entertaining reviews of shows and grades fairly I think. Of course he makes mistakes. Like many of us, he doesn't know much about the pre-Hogan era. We all make some mistakes, he's entitled too...

It stems from his arrogance and the fact he gets $10,000 up front to cut and paste his rants, not to mention royalty checks from sales. The ironic thing is whoever started this topic gave SK the hit, which will lead him to another book deal, which means he's paying Scott Keith to piss him off.

It's jealousy basically, this brainless thread is a rarity on this forum but it's the norm over on wienerboard.com.

Guest nikowwf

"Its jealousy" is an inane argument. I liked his reviews before, and I don't like them now. Did i develop jealous of him during this time? Why do people have to like Scott Keith?

Under your argument, it seems everyone HAS to like Scott Keith or be jealous of him.

niko

Who can't write a review or rate matches?

I agree, I mean, look at my sorry ass....however!

You'd be AMAZED at how bad some of the tryout submissions I get can be.

Dames

Your recaps aren't TERRIBLE - but they don't have that certain UMPH that SK and Hyatte once had. Maybe because you say "If this match went on 10 minutes it would have been great" 200 times per NWA diatribe, I dunno.

Guest Downhome

I'm not jealous of him, I just think he has no talent I didn't even know any moron actually PAID him for his shit.

No, I'm not jealous of him. I do however now pity anyone that PAYS him for his stupity.

Hey, I never said I was the best. I'm still very new at this you know.

I'm constantly trying to improve as well. In all honesty, I don't think I'm that good at all.

Dames

Niko, I wasn't referring to SK's general critics. I'm talking about the mindless drones who viciously bash him whenever he makes a minor error. They obviously have an agenda.

Guest nikowwf

Hey Dames, don't downplay yourself. Your reviews are very good and give a good feel of the show when i can't see it.

Plus the purpose of your reviews is to tell people about THE SHOW, not to squeeze in as many DAMEISM'S as possible. SK's review's often seem as much a vehicle to get his jokes over and talk about his book than to really talk about a show.

niko

Guest mach7
I'm not jealous of him, I just think he has no talent I didn't even know any moron actually PAID him for his shit.

No, I'm not jealous of him. I do however now pity anyone that PAYS him for his stupity.

I don't see where the inane jealously theory comes in, either. I was simply pointing out the fact that he's a hypocrite. He blasts JR for reciting an inaccurate piece of WWF history, yet he's just as inaccurate when he tries to call him on it - in the same damn sentence!

Plus the purpose of your reviews is to tell people about THE SHOW, not to squeeze in as many DAMEISM'S as possible. SK's review's often seem as much a vehicle to get his jokes over and talk about his book than to really talk about a show.

I don't disagree with that.

Thanks.

Dames

Guest Downhome

I don't see where the inane jealously theory comes in, either. I was simply pointing out the fact that he's a hypocrite. He blasts JR for reciting an inaccurate piece of WWF history, yet he's just as inaccurate when he tries to call him on it - in the same damn sentence!

I just generally dislike the guy and his "work", I always have.

I'm in awe that he gets paid however, I thought he was just some schmuck who did it for shits.

Guest mach7
Niko, I wasn't referring to SK's general critics. I'm talking about the mindless drones who viciously bash him whenever he makes a minor error. They obviously have an agenda.

Oh, that's grand. I would think that if Scott Keith is going to portray himself as this elitist know-it-all wrestling guru, then he should at least know the history that he tries to write about.

Guest Choken One

Can we get rid of this bullshit here? Move it to NHB or something...

I don't see how this is a discussion on WWF/E anyway.

This is about SK....and mostly bashing him.

Off to NHB you go!

Dames

Guest Downhome

Off to NHB you go!

Dames

Woohoo, we can say naughty words now!

Guest mach7

Off to NHB you go!

Dames

Touche. I put it in WWE because it dealt with the Raw rant. But, this is just as good. ;)

Guest WhenDanSaysJump

The problem with SK is that these days he's less interested in reviewing shows than he is in proving himself correct all the time.

Guest The Decadent Slacker

Keith is the Comic Book Guy of the IWC: fat, negative, yet has a following. He used to give a fuck, now he doesn't. He's biased, elitist & thinks he's 10 times funnier than he is. Now that i've restated the obvious, i'll get to the main...thing. whatever. Now, as far as the jealousy thing, i admit i'm jealous of him...that i can't keep buns warm under my 4th chin or get paid for rehashing shit people liked when it was original. Hell if i got paid for that i'd never work again. Now, the bias issue always gets me because it goes in these bland, predictible patterns: Benoit, Flair, Guerrero, Angle-the unanimous smark darlings. At least have some variety, because everyone has people who suck or who are not workrate giants that they like. Accusing guys like Show & Taker for not being as good as Benoit, while true, is just dumb in the long run because guys like Benoit are few & far between. it also gets old, especially recap after recap.

My main gripe with Keith is his Owen bias. YES, Owen was an awesome worker, YES he was entertaining as fuck, but i don't think, personally, he was this demi god Keith often makes him appear as. The biggest problem i have was his comments in the book, you know, about how he wishes Russo & Vince would die horribly or burn in hell or something (i'm not sure of the exact quote, so don't flame me on it) for pretty much killing "the best wrestler i've ever had the pleasure of watching" or something. He's one of those who just jumped on the bandwagon of "He's dead, so he was fucking awesome" that a lot of other people have. Again, Owen was an incredible worker & entertainer, but he was by far never THE most talented or entertaining, imo. But to each their own. it just is a pet peev.

Keith is just the stereotype of the net fan, &...stuff...i got nothing

Guest wrestlingbs

Personally, I like Keith. I read his book, and it was a good read. Yeah, he's biased, but so are most other writers. I think the quality of his reviews have gone down lately because of his disinterest in the WWE product as of late. I remember he when on a long boycott of WCW during their worst year. And, to be quite honest, I would probably be phoning it in if I had to review the same mind-numbing crap the WWE puts on TV each week.

As for the mistake, no biggy.

Guest Trivia247

intially I thought SK's wrestling reviews of the PPVs was funny as hell, which brought me to the Smart mark pages before the change over to begin with.

then the more current the events are the less SK has the ability to claim objectivity in whatever he watches. we watch WWE raw or Smackdown we get that we are gonna get shit, but there are usually some good to great matches here and there. SK doesn't seem like he wants to look for it at all. he seems to have more energy doing the diatribe before he starts reviewing than the review itself.

Guest tank_abbott
I want to go to this show...

spart101379_1.jpg

...I only wish. Besides, it's only an hour or so from where I live!

Dewey Robertson...aka THE MISSING LINK!

Guest tank_abbott
He's one of those who just jumped on the bandwagon of "He's dead, so he was fucking awesome" that a lot of other people have.

PWI (I think) once had a collumnist ripping others for making Big John Studd out to be a World Class hall of Famer upon his death, I think he said "Studd was simply a slightly better than average wrestler happened to be 7 feet tall."

Guest DrTom
then the more current the events are the less SK has the ability to claim objectivity in whatever he watches...

In his defense, he's never claimed to be objective. Journalists are supposed to be objective; commentators are not.

Guest treble charged

I just find it hilarious that so many people care enough about him to discuss him on message boards or by other online methods.

Everyone who writes about wrestling on the Internet would kill for the notoriety he has.

Guest BANKYWOOD
I just find it hilarious that so many people care enough about him to discuss him on message boards or by other online methods.

Everyone who writes about wrestling on the Internet would kill for the notoriety he has.

I admire how he gets paid to write about wrestling. He has better writing skills than me, but I find that I disagree with him 95% of the time. He is a glorified fanboy that I half admire, and half resent.

Guest phoenixrising

Keith's still good for a few laughs, but the guy needs some time off from the product. He's getting way too negative for what should be a hobby or pasttime, but considering he gets paid to write books now it's more of a job for him. Sometimes the negativity is good for a few jokes but lately it's coming across more as true bitterness than entertainment.

As for his books, the first one was good for what it was - an intro to wrestling. Jury's still out on the second one. I've read it in the bookstore, IMO the thrown-in match reviews take away from the flow of the story. I still might buy it, if the price drops - sorry Keith, but $18 for a bunch of match reviews and your rants is way too much when I can find them online for free. I am interested to see what the third book turns out like, since it is such a short period he will be writing about (from failure of Invasion to present).

Guest BANKYWOOD

I can confidently say I've never purchsed any of Keith's material....Never will, out of principal.