TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Urban Warfare

NHL Free Agency 2003

Guest CanadianChris

Christ Almighty, that's HUGE. Now, if they get some semblance of an NHL-calibre goaltender, they'll be even bigger locks for the Cup than the Wings were with Hasek.

Guest MaxPower27

I'm predicting Colorado wins the Presidents' next year. I hate to jump the gun, but a team with THAT much firepower is going to do fairly well.

Guest MaxPower27

The Capitals signed Petr Sykora....Here

Of course, it's not the same Petr Sykora that plays for Anaheim, but they signed A Petr Sykora.

Guest MaxPower27

The Caps Petr Sykora is bigger, but I would make him wear a sign "I'M NOT THAT PETR SYKORA"

Just to clear up the confusion. :P

Where are you getting these newsbreaks? espn.com isn't being helpful.

Guest CanadianChris

Todd Marchant looks to be headed to either Columbus or Buffalo after the Rangers turned down what he was asking for.

Edited by CanadianChris

Guest nl5xsk1

The cynical Bruins fan in me hopes that the Avs young goalies end up playing like shit, so the Avs end up losing a bunch of games by scores like 6-5. With all that firepower, the rest of the league better pray that the Avs goalies play like shit, or the season will just be a formality.

Plus, what will the Avs do if there's a salary cap after the CBA expires? Even if Forsberg goes back to Sweden they'll still be hugely over whatever cap is put in place.

Todd Marchant looks to be headed to either Columbus or Buffalo after the Randers turned down what he was asking for.

Why anyone would ever want to go to Buffalo is beyond me.

Guest treble charged
Plus, what will the Avs do if there's a salary cap after the CBA expires? Even if Forsberg goes back to Sweden they'll still be hugely over whatever cap is put in place.

Well, according to the Score, they're both only 1 year deals. Selanne's is apparently $5.8 million, while they're saying that Kariya's is only $1.2 million, which I don't really buy.

Guest DerangedHermit

The Avs getting Kariya AND Selanne?!?!?

The Rangers showing restraint (i.e. Todd Marchant)?

WTF?

Guest Brush with Greatness

Yeah, Kariya's is really only 1.2 million for one year. However, what this does is allows him to become a group 5 unresricted free agent at the end of next season, seeing as how he is a 10 year veteran making less than the league average (around 1.75).

I'm thinking he want's to see what shapes up over the next season and what happens with the new CBA and remain an unrestricted free agent. The market isn't real strong right now anyways. However, if he were to sign for more than 1.75 million he would be a group 2 restricted free agent because he will only be like 30 (or 29) and to be a group 3 unrestricted you need to be 31. So his leverage would be lower if he were to sign for more than 1.75 because the team signing would have to compensate the Avs and would probably back off of Kariya.

I think the opportunity to play with Teemu and have another shot at the Cup also enticed him.

So yeah, it was his only option to remain an unrestricted free agent after this season.

Guest UndertakerHart

To be nice now: I STRONGLY dislike Paul Kariya now. May the Ducks win the Cup without that leech.

Guest CanadianChris
Somebody wake up Bobby Clarke.

*checks*

:firing: Clarke.JPG

No, he's otherwise occupied.

Guest Brush with Greatness

So why do you hate Kariya? Because Anaheim never offered him a qualifying offer?

Guest MaxPower27
If I was Colorado, I'd build up Aberschae as a solid goalie

Aebischer ;)

Guest redbaron51

i was way off.

So what is Toronto going to do now? Get Adam Oates?

Guest treble charged

Hopefully they get at least 2 of the defencemen that are out there right now (I'm hoping for Wesley and De Vries, personally). I've heard that they might try for Nieuwendyk, too, and that would be fine with me.

Guest redbaron51

get Nieuwendyk, and get rid of Sundin (most will shoot me, but its more of a benefit)

I would try to get De Vries as well, but Wesley is up there.

Toronto should build a team not buy the team

Guest MaxPower27
Toronto should build a team not buy the team

BINGO.

This is why I think Minnesota is for real. They have a few vets, but a good amount of their own DRAFTED players to build a young club around.

Same thing with Ottawa. B-)

Guest treble charged

The Leafs should do what the Avs are doing this year. Try and get some big name players signed down to 1 year contracts (maybe Fedorov) and make a run for it this year. They have a lot of good, young players coming through the system (they had the most players in the World Junior tournament last year and have only traded away one of them [brad Boyes, in the Nolan deal]), so I'm not TOO worried about the future.

Guest UndertakerHart
So why do you hate Kariya? Because Anaheim never offered him a qualifying offer?

Same time, different result- Paul Kariya spoke during Game 7 after losing to NJ.

It wasn't the money. He left because of Teemu and he wanted to win the Cup.

He said he would retire in Anaheim. I don't know if that will happen.

On the Ducks board, we are trying to pick up the pieces/

What's next for us?

Guest MaxPower27
So why do you hate Kariya?  Because Anaheim never offered him a qualifying offer?

Same time, different result- Paul Kariya spoke during Game 7 after losing to NJ.

It wasn't the money. He left because of Teemu and he wanted to win the Cup.

He said he would retire in Anaheim. I don't know if that will happen.

On the Ducks board, we are trying to pick up the pieces/

What's next for us?

You fail to get this though:

They didn't offer him anything. They allowed him to become a UFA.