TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Urban Warfare

NHL Free Agency 2003

Max, I disagree with your assessment of Dafoe. A few of the years he was in Boston he was definitely starter material (had something like 8 shutouts one season). If the Thrashers can have some better defense in front of him, he should put up reasonable numbers. Plus, playing a bunch of games against the Panthers and Hurricanes (who don't impress me much) - and also against pretty mediocre Tampa & Washington) - should get them some points.

So, in my mind, it's a good goalie + a great coach + good scoring + a weak division = potential playoffs. Of course, I could also see them being Sabre-level bad if Dafoe plays like shit (which I will admit that he's capable of)

Well, let's look at Atlanta then.

Finished 31-39-7-5-74 in third place in a weak division.

Yes, they have a very good coach in Bob Hartley. My main concern isn't with Bob Hartley, it's with the goaltender that they are going to go with. Dafoe is a good goaltender, and as a Bruins fan in Massachusetts for a while I saw him up close, but for a guy with about a 2.36 GAA with a .908 with an underrated at the time defense in front of him is good, but not something that I would hinge the franchise on. Especially when they have Pasi Nurminen waiting in the wings, who is a better goaltender than Dafoe and can actually grow with the team.

Their offense is always going to be good, what with two of the young stars in the league right now in Kovalchuk and Heatley. They also have an unknown Zdenik Blatny, who is going to be a top 6 forward, Shawn McEachern is due back, and Slava Kozlov is a great addition to the team. Unfortunately, their additions of Randy Robataille and journeyman Bill Lindsey leave something to be desired.

Their defense is kind of just 'there', as they have Garnet Exelby, Chris Tamer, Frantisek Kaberle, Kirill Safronov, and Yannick Tremblay are their core. Of these 5 players, only Frantisek Kaberle and Yannick Tremblay offer anything of and offensive upside, as Kaberle has 82 points in only 4 seasons. Tremblay, you can compare to Sandis Ozolinsh of Anaheim, except Ozolinsh at least knows how to play defense. Tremblay is basically a winger that lines up behind the forwards. He has almost no defensive game. Their signing of Andy Sutton was a good pickup, as he is a big man who knows how to use his size, and can wire shots from the point. Their other defensive signing of Ivan Majesky is...interesting. It helps them, as Majesky is very good and physical in his own end, but he also has no offensive upside.

Basically, what it boils down to, is that their 4 major offensive forwards (Kovalchuk, Heatley, McEachern, and Kozlov) have to produce a ton of goals for them to even have a shot in the division, as their defensemen aren't going to pitch in very much, and Dafoe has been known to disappear at times. They play in a division that has 4 underrated offenses in the league, and all of the teams in their division actually have solid goaltending (Carolina- Kevin Weekes, Florida- Roberto Luongo, Tampa- Khabibulin, Washington- Kolzig). In Atlanta's net, they need a sure thing to have a shot. They aren't even close to that right now, as Nurmenin isn't ready, he's been inconsistant in net, and Dafoe is...Dafoe. I give it one more year before they sneak in as a #7 and play Cinderella.

I wouldn't call Weeks a solid goaltender. If I was Carolina management I'd switch my goalies between Irbe and Weeks, split each of them 42 games apiece...

Guest gthureson
Mike Comrie won't be playing for the Edmonton Oilers anytime soon, said General Manager Kevin Lowe as his club opened training camp Friday. Lowe said the Edmonton-born first-line centre has been locked out of camp after failing to negotiate a new deal with his team and he wasn't expecting the situation to change in the near future.

TSN.ca

Looks like the Rangers have a new player.

I doubt Comrie will get traded. At least, not anytime soon. The problem here is that Comrie is expecting money like he made last year, something around 3.5 million because he collected all on his bonuses from his last contract.

That contract, he had all the leverage because he pulled a Van Ryn and went from college to Junior, and would have been an unrestricted free agent if the Oilers didn't get him under contract.

His base was only a million, and the Oilers qualifed him a 1.1, which Mike thinks is too low. If there is a trade in the works, it'll be a for a youngish defenceman under contract, or a similar player. Or, he'll be packaged with Tommy Salo for a goalie and a d-man/centre.

The Rangers trade bait here would be Blackburn, whom they have no desire to trade. Jamie Lundmark is the only prospect of interest left, and there is talk that the Rangers have ruined him as a top-flight prospect. A Rangers 1st round pick will be middle of the pack at best, so I can't see him going to New York.

Comrie will sign before the start of the season. Rich Winter can bluster all he wants, but he'll have to realize eventually Comrie has no leverage this time around. The Oilers have plenty of forwards, and Mike York can be slid back over to centre if Comrie is out for any length of time.

I wouldn't call Weeks a solid goaltender. If I was Carolina management I'd switch my goalies between Irbe and Weeks, split each of them 42 games apiece...

Carolina and Irbe are not on good terms right now.

Meanwhile, the Hurricanes are still trying to deal with Irbe. Rutherford has been unable to find another NHL team to take on veteran netminder, so the American Hockey League appears to be the next best option.

However, Irbe will not be making the trip to Carolina's minor league team in Lowell. Due to the fact the Hurricanes are sharing the affiliate with Calgary this year, there is just one goaltending spot available. Carolina plans to fill the void with prospect Rob Zepp, leaving Irbe in limbo for the time being.

Carolina still owes Irbe $5.2-million over the next two years.

Weekes is ready to take over the #1 now.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=54...298&hubName=nhl

The Stars signed Turco to a 3 year 12 million dollar contract.

He'll make 3.5 this year, 4 million next year and 4.5 in 2005-06.

I'm still not sold on Marty Turco being worth this amount of money.

Marty isn't. Put him with someone other than Dallas Stars and if he plays exceptionally good then I'd say he's worth HALF that.

Whatever... Edmonton's going to beat the living hell out of Dallas in the first round when we win the President's Trophy, so I don't care what they do.

*knows that just a dream*