TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Dangerous A

The official 2003 NBA free agents thread

We could call him "Spreegauskas" now.

Seriously though, the only reason the Cavs will get out of the cellar in the Central is because of how badly the Bucks and maybe the Hawks are going to suck. There are too many crybabies and bad attitudes on that team for them to truly improve, no matter how great LeBron is supposedly going to be.

This is a trade that was shot down recently:

Toronto would have gotten Dikembe Mutombo.

Antonio Davis and Kenyon Martin to Portland.

Rasheed Wallace to the Nets.

Apparently, Davis and Mutombo's salaries didn't warrant making this trade for the Raptors and Blazers.

Kenny Anderson has now *officially* signed with ther Pacers, which gives us our fourth PG. The way Bird has talked, he may be our starter, as well. Not sure where this leaves Anthony Johnson or Jamison Brewer, although I'm sure Brewer will likely spend one more season on the bench sporting his Ziggy Marley-meets-Don Johnson look.

More stuff:

Brian Shaw will retire.

Bimbo Coles signs with the Heat.

Darvin Ham signs with the Pistons.

Raja Bell will sign with Utah.

Allen Iverson has agreed to an extension with Philly.

And potentially bad news for the Clips: Chris Kaman, the team's top draft pick, is out indefinitely with a herniated disk in his lower back. They said it should heal through rehab and shouldn't require surgery.

Guest Polish_Rifle

The Clips are not done shopping. They will most likely sign Predrag Drabniak by the end of the week so that should fill the void left by Kaman. With Drabniak, the Clips will have the starting center and point guard for the gold medal-winning Yugoslavian National Team.

Barring any trades, they are said to be on the running for signing SF - Stephen Jackson.

Things are about to heat up.

Look out Western Conference...

STANLEY ROBERTS~! has signed with the Raptors.

If you wanna keep up with the Lakers' offseason moves, that's a helluva way to start.

(sarcasm, obviously)

Hmm..interesting move by the Rockets.

Traded Glen Rice and draft considerations (reported differently in several different sources, seems to be a protected 1st and at least a 2nd) to Utah for Don Amechi and a 2nd, possibly another 2nd, and a $6.5 million trade exception.

Then with the last of their Middle Class Exception (MCE) they sign Jimmy Jackson.

Well, this trade if nothing else makes Cato and his contract expendable possibly. Cato and/or Mobley and the trade exception could equal a pretty good player. I guess we'll have to see if anything else goes down in the next few days, although the trade exception is good all the way until this time next year.

I think Mobley could be an All-Star, he just has a bad rap that he doesn't pass enough. With Ray Allen in the West now, though, it'll be a little tougher.

Another trade:

Suns get Brevin Knight, Robert Archibald and Cezary Trybanski.

Grizzlies get Jake Tsakalidis and Bo Outlaw.

Now this is just my opinion, but I think the Suns got buttfucked on this deal. As far as I know, the other two guys barely played, and Phoenix is somewhat deep at the guard position, already having Steph, and also Penny who can play the point at times when he's healthy.

Garnett signs extension.

Jimmy Jackson signs with Rockets.

If Stephen Jackson is still available, I wouldn't mind seeing the Wolves make a run at him. He's not bad off the bench, and his solid defenseivly.

Guest The Shad0w

Lakers sign Bryon Russell.

Suns sign DerMarr Johnson (the guy from the Hawks that broke his neck).

Celtics sign Mateen Cleaves.

I think Mobley could be an All-Star, he just has a bad rap that he doesn't pass enough. With Ray Allen in the West now, though, it'll be a little tougher.

Another trade:

Suns get Brevin Knight, Robert Archibald and Cezary Trybanski.

Grizzlies get Jake Tsakalidis and Bo Outlaw.

Now this is just my opinion, but I think the Suns got buttfucked on this deal. As far as I know, the other two guys barely played, and Phoenix is somewhat deep at the guard position, already having Steph, and also Penny who can play the point at times when he's healthy.

I hate all things Colangelo.

Why in the fucking hell would you trade your best defender for basically a backup point guard when you have Penny, Joe Johnson and DRAFTED that 6'4 point guard from Brazil. Fucking idiot general managers.

The only thing that can mess this team up is stupid deals...like this one. I think Jerry West hypnotised them or something.

But they did sign Demarr Johnson (who WILL be a superstar in this league if the neck is okay) but dammit. Thanks for the hustle Bo.

Guest Polish_Rifle

Did anyone mention that the Clippers traded for Predrag Drobnjak in exchange for a 2nd round pick. This Olympian will most likely be our starting center and make everyone forget the Cancerman. He's got range, an inside game and he has tons of experience playing for the gold-medal Yugoslavian National Team. If Wang Zhi Zhi gets reinstated to the Chinese National team, that would make 4, count them, 4 Olympians on this promising Clipper squad.

Plus, now we will have the starting center and PG for the Yugoslavian team presumably starting for us. I see good things in the new look Clips. They may have less big names, but it seems like they are slowly gathering the right mix of stars and role players.

Did anyone mention that the Clippers traded for Predrag Drobnjak in exchange for a 2nd round pick. This Olympian will most likely be our starting center and make everyone forget the Cancerman. He's got range, an inside game and he has tons of experience playing for the gold-medal Yugoslavian National Team. If Wang Zhi Zhi gets reinstated to the Chinese National team, that would make 4, count them, 4 Olympians on this promising Clipper squad.

Plus, now we will have the starting center and PG for the Yugoslavian team presumably starting for us. I see good things in the new look Clips. They may have less big names, but it seems like they are slowly gathering the right mix of stars and role players.

Predrag Drobnjak....is that the guy from Seattle. If it is, you have absolutley nothing to be excited about.

Guest Polish_Rifle

Oh come on, the big man averaged over 9 points a game last season and started 69 games for the Sonics. He's no worse than than Nesterovic. The man has nice range ala Sean Rooks, he's physical and can play with his back to the basket ala Cancerman and he's got good chemistry with Jaric. His presense will enable the defense to be honest when Brand, Maggette and Richardson are posting up and he's a more solid rebounder than Wang.

Oh come on, the big man averaged over 9 points a game last season and started 69 games for the Sonics. He's no worse than than Nesterovic. The man has nice range ala Sean Rooks, he's physical and can play with his back to the basket ala Cancerman and he's got good chemistry with Jaric. His presense will enable the defense to be honest when Brand, Maggette and Richardson are posting up and he's a more solid rebounder than Wang.

Except that he plays on the perimeter like a guard, is allergic to rebounds and plays laughable defense. Has nothing on the box compared to Kandi, and a blocked shot? Never. He can shoot though, and runs the floor pretty well...but i don't think ANOTHER perimeter player is exactly what they needed.

I think it is a stretch to say that Wang can't rebound seeing as he never plays for more than 5 minutes at a time in a blow out game. Once again though...he can shoot.

Guest Polish_Rifle

Ely is not starting center material. The guy is a PF and will probably see some time filling in at Center. I think Gentry flat out did not like Wang, which explains why he was benched for much of the time that Gentry was there. Although he is a defensive liability, he did show signs of life when he got playing time under DJ. I remember one game, where they were playing the Suns and they were being blown out badly in the 3rd. DJ inserted Wang (who gets props from the crowd everytime I go to Staples) and he almost single-handedly brought the Clips back.

As far as Drob is concerned, while he has played on the perimeter thus far in his career, he can help draw opposing big men from the paint because of his ability to shoot. I think this is a good piece to the puzzle and the Clips will slowly but surely sneak under the radar and have a better season than most people expect.

Sorry Polish, but if you started 69 games for Seattle last year, you should have averaged more than 9 PPG.

Well, I don't know how many of their key players were present, but Utah just beat Dallas in an exhibition game last night. I'm still holding to my opinion that they'll have the league's worst record though.

Guest Polish_Rifle

It's only an exhibition game so I wouldn't be too quick to analyze the results.

The Nets finally bought out Mutombo's contract and he is now free to sign with any team. I think the Spurs should bring him in for the league minimum since they can never have enough big men in the West.

Also, rookie of the year candidate Chris Kaman has been hampered with a strained left calf that will most likely sideline him for their exhibition opener Tuesday night against the Kings.

Damn, we're droppin' like flies...

Jonathon Bender had surgery last week and will miss about a month, now Anthony Johnson is going to miss about six weeks because of his finger.

And the Nuggets are pulling out all the stops. They are considering bringing in DENNIS RODMAN for a tryout.

Now they're saying Kenny Anderson has a strained hamstring. Jeez, Tinsley may keep his starting job after all.

Guest Mindless_Aggression

I'd bring in Rodman for a tryout. If he's motivated, he's gonna give you something. If he's not, send him packing.